Author Topic: fish finder  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Gold fish

• IceShanty Rookie
fish finder
« on: Dec 08, 2011, 01:32 AM »
Ah yes the age old question what fish flasher is better. Im shure every one has been looking to buy a flasher for hard water, what one do you buy? Most of the time you talk to the guys at bass pro or cablas they just work in fishing dept, But dont really get out there and fish. I have heard good things about hummingbird and vexlar. I have had great luck with my Marcum flasher  not to say there the best, but has done well for me. Ive had my flasher for a while looking to renew may be this year. just wondering if any one has any advise or input on there flashers.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fish finder
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2011, 02:01 AM »
I'm going to guess by your profile pic that you mean "flasher" when you say fishfinder and locator...and since you said you have a marcum I'm not sure what you are trying to upgrade to   ???...need more information from you in order to help ya

Offline Gold fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2011, 02:25 AM »
Your right jeffro sorry I ment flasher. I fixed post , I guess the real question Im looking for is how good other flashers perform in the ice. I have mecum has worked well for the interference rejection I found that out at a tournament at lake manawa. I was fishing around other people with vexlars there flashers were going crazy but my flasher was working like I was the only one out there. Now my target separation isn't so good.  Just wondering what flasher to look at for the money. Without sacrificing performance.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2011, 02:13 PM »
I purchased the vex fl20 last year and really like it.  I talked to many fisherman, retailers and read alot of comments and they told me to go with vex or the marcum.  I went with the vex because all my buddy's have them and can help with operations.  They both are great units. 

Offline Todd_NE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2011, 02:36 PM »
You are going to get 6 million opinions on this if you want.  ;D

I believe the Marcum has better target separation, has a moveable changeable zoom, and the screen is crisper and clearer. I like my LX-5's enormously, especially the 2 frequency selection. It also has the most power and therefore the most battery consumption. I have had experiences over rocks in deep water where the Marcum's overwhelmed other flashers to the point they couldn't function unfortunately.

Vexilar has the nicest packages, systems and boxes. They are both a traditional and a flatface screen. Some anglers believe a lower wattage results in better performance in the weeds. It is the longest made product and has exemplary customer service over a long period of time. Vexilars are louder, have less target separation, do not have a moveable zoom though the lock bottom is what people use 90% of the time I'd guess. I would have no problem owning Vexilars and I have had one or two and probably will again. The market does change.

99% of Marcum and Vex owners are happy and catch more fish, period.

The 'birds and Showdown's have not interested me in the least, it's a personal decision.

I actually put my Marcum's on my boats and I think many boat owners should probably just get a power pack for their HDS5 or whatever Lowrance or Humminbird unit they have and use it on the ice too. It's especially nice on lakes with map chipping. It is just smart to get more bang for your buck. On the other hand, LCD's do eat batteries even faster, especially with GPS!

In the future, I see a Marcum LX-7 with GPS capabilities. My criticism of it at this point is it looks too large and not rugged enough.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Not trying to be rude, but I'm sure it will sound like it, but conversations about Flashers, finders etc., need to be put in the electronics section. This is the Nebraska fishing section.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2011, 11:01 PM »
Not trying to be rude, but I'm sure it will sound like it, but conversations about Flashers, finders etc., need to be put in the electronics section. This is the Nebraska fishing section.

If he wants a Nebraskan opinion, its fine here. Prolly wants to hear from guys that have experience with flashers on the kinds of lakes he fishes. If he wants ALOT of information the electronics section would be the place to post.

Offline Gold fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2011, 11:54 PM »
hey hank the crank       Gold fish is new to the site. love it by the way, all the post. Every one has  great advise really helps the new guy out alot. you cant get same advise from bass pro. So please be easy on me i shure you were in my shoes at one time.  I thought this fourm was used for reports, questions, and advice. in time i will look over site so post go to the right spot.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2011, 06:47 AM »
Well this is exactly the way I figured this would go. Like I said I am not trying to be rude, but if we don't all make a good effort to post things where they will get the most good, we might as well just have one big forum and no specific forums. Sorry for being the bad guy, I just thought it needed brought to attention.

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Well this is exactly the way I figured this would go. Like I said I am not trying to be rude, but if we don't all make a good effort to post things where they will get the most good, we might as well just have one big forum and no specific forums. Sorry for being the bad guy, I just thought it needed brought to attention.

Its not really a big deal to get worked up about, so no harm done. He may or may not have reason to post in the Neb. page and he would get more replies in the electronics page.

And on flashers, I have an ICE 55 and love it,
dUCWQ&index=83&feature=plpp_video  Only and and I mean only complaint would be the 2.5" target separation. If Humminbird would shrink that it would be a near flawless system.
however I don't fish entire schools that often so it doesnt make a huge difference most of the time. My brother has a showdown ice-troller and we fished side by side with no problems.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:38 AM »
I'll move it when he gets his answers in a couple days...We will not let your site get cluttered but we will let the guys chat about gear, then move the thread when appropriate. Thanks  ;D      Don  :tipup:
                                                                   LT Iceshanty National Moderator

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2011, 10:53 AM »
Thank you very much LT, the point I was trying to make was that there are specific places for things to be, that in turn makes it easier to navigate to find the things that a person want to read on.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Thank you very much LT, the point I was trying to make was that there are specific places for things to be, that in turn makes it easier to navigate to find the things that a person want to read on.
Roger that Hank  :tipup:

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:01 PM »
The reason the peoples vexilars around you were going crazy is because Marcums put out way too much watts.  For whatever reason thats how Marcum's flashers are.  If you were fishing with my group of friends you would either be forced to turn yours off or go fish on the other side of the lake.  There are also some studies being done on whether fish in shallow water can sense all those watts being put out through their lateral lines.  Like I said "studies being done"  NO PROOF YET.   
I have owned an fl-8, used a fl-18 last year and bought the fl-22 this year.  Never had any issues with Vexilar. 
I'm not staying they're the best but its what I use.  Also like I said, I enjoy fishing with others and want to be able to use my electronics.  I have also seen at tournaments where guys will crank up their marcum just people fishing close to them cant get a good read on their Vex.  DONT BE THAT GUY!!!

I am intrigued by the lx-7 but will give it a year to get the bugs worked out. 

Offline Gold fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:24 AM »
wow guys sorry to up set any one. I really didnt know.  There was a electronic page, i only post about the flashers because in from nebraska, and was just looking for local feed back. im new to the site. i will look it over site and post will go where they need to go.  hank the crank and lt never ment to be rude. LT, go ahead and move post will find it.    thanks to all that replied will be helpful for buying next flasher. good luck to all this year.

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:11 AM »
My 2 cents - I love the roving display on my Lawrence x67C.  It makes sense to me better than a flasher.  Many brands have a roving display style and I'm sure they all work as well as the next.  I was able to identify fish immediately and would never consider anything else again.  It does have a "flasher" screen if you so choose to use it.

This is a great video of a x67C
&feature=related

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:49 AM »
wow guys sorry to up set any one. I really didnt know.  There was a electronic page, i only post about the flashers because in from nebraska, and was just looking for local feed back. im new to the site. i will look it over site and post will go where they need to go.  hank the crank and lt never ment to be rude. LT, go ahead and move post will find it.    thanks to all that replied will be helpful for buying next flasher. good luck to all this year.
Rule of thumb for Scott (Admin) for Mods on off-topic posts on a state site is to leave them until they hit the bottom of the page, he wants the sites to be a place where there is meaningful dialogue at a local level, you did nothing wrong Gold Fish and when I move this or any post, I will also post a re-direct telling where the thread was moved to, but a couple of days later, I'll also remove the re-direct. i.e. one of we Husker fans (yep, me too) want to chat about football, it'll stay until it's served its purpose, then it'll go away...some things are very important on a state site ;D    Thick ice, tight lines.                                                                              LT (Don)

Offline Todd_NE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2011, 11:21 AM »
The reason the peoples vexilars around you were going crazy is because Marcums put out way too much watts.  For whatever reason thats how Marcum's flashers are.  If you were fishing with my group of friends you would either be forced to turn yours off or go fish on the other side of the lake.  There are also some studies being done on whether fish in shallow water can sense all those watts being put out through their lateral lines.  Like I said "studies being done"  NO PROOF YET.   
I have owned an fl-8, used a fl-18 last year and bought the fl-22 this year.  Never had any issues with Vexilar. 
I'm not staying they're the best but its what I use.  Also like I said, I enjoy fishing with others and want to be able to use my electronics.  I have also seen at tournaments where guys will crank up their marcum just people fishing close to them cant get a good read on their Vex.  DONT BE THAT GUY!!!

I am intrigued by the lx-7 but will give it a year to get the bugs worked out.

::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.