The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best line setup for polar tip-ups  (Read 4308 times)

Offline fcfcadd

• IceShanty Rookie
Best line setup for polar tip-ups
« on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:33 PM »
I am wanting to try a some new setup techniques with all of my polar tip-ups. I am currently setup with some black ice line with a small bell type weight with a red laser hook set about a foot above the weight on about an 8"-10" leader with a small to medium bobber set at the reel. Does anyone have any suggestions on a walleye type setup vs a trout type setup. I am willing to experiment with just about anything.

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I get the SLOW bite alot!
Re: Best line setup for polar tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:04 PM »
Yep, lose the bell sinker. I think there will be too much resistance once a fish takes the bait, causing a drop. I personally use a barrel swivel then leader then hook. And a split shot big enough to keep the minnow down.
><{{{{*>~---

Offline fcfcadd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Does the line and hook make any bit of difference. Red line vs black line vs mono and then a straight hook vs a trebble hook? Been told hook size matters. Also been told bobber type and size makes a huge difference with the eyes.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:09 PM »
be careful with the weight on your leader if you have too much line before the spit shot your minnow will have enough line to twist as you put them down in deep water, like greater than 25 feet.  I use about 2 to 4 feet of mono below my swivel, and about 6in to 1 foot above the minnow I put one spilt shot, a little heavier than the swivel that I am using, this helps with the line going down and not being able to twist on itself as you drop the rig down the hole, I have experimented with regular hooks and treble and have found that it really does not matter, it just depends on if the fish has the hook in its mouth when you go to set the hook, most of the fish I miss hooking have just the head of the minnow or tail in their mouth and I pull the hook out of the minnow, or pull the minnow out of the fish's mouth.  Hope this helps you some, oh and I use 8 to 12 lb mono for my leader and have not found any difference in that either, but I know a lot of guy's that like fluorocarbon because it vanishes better in the water.

Offline fcfcadd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Do you have the weight on the bottom and then the leader up from that or the leader on the bottom and the weight slighty above the leader?

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:57 PM »
If your line does not twist very much try using no weight at all. Most of my jumbo perch were caught on dead minnows with no weight. If you can locate structure. Try hooking a live minnow with no weight and dropping it roughly 2 ft above whatever is below. The results should speak for themselves! ;D

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:45 PM »
hook, weight then swivel to main line is how I rig up, the no weight works well when the wind is not blowing to hard, have a couple of guys that swear by that method as well, just takes longer to set up when you are in 60 feet.

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2011, 11:05 PM »
Duely noted. I also use the single split shot about 12" above the hook. Have you tried using circle hooks yet? I hook up just as well with these except more often than not it is an easy release on the fish, considering the hook set in the corner of the mouth.

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2011, 11:18 AM »
I spool my tip-ups with regular braided tipup line. I tie a barrel swivel to the end and tie on a 5 ft leader of 8lb fluorocarbon. I use a single gamakatsu hook with a splitshot 1 ft above it. For a line marker i use the smallest reusable splitshot i have.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:02 AM »
I use tip ups more often in Oahe in SD where there is real winter lol!!  The first year I was up there, pulled tip ups at midnightand left them on the ice and went to bed.  The next morning they were froze so bad I could not get line out at all!  Since then I use plastic coated tip up line as it does not freeze like braided....  Tie 2 foot of 6lb mono to the end of the swivel. If fishing in current, jigs work better for me than a split shot and hook.  I use those tiny bobbers that they sell for depth markers as  they are easier to see at night than a split shot.... :tipup:

Offline newyotcx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:06 PM »
I have used just about all of the tip up lines and it does not matter unless you leave your tip ups out side at night then the coated works best i have about half of mine have 6 to 8lb mono and the other have 12 lb spider line green had good luck with both i usually use red or glow hooks size 6 or 8 had better luck with the single hook with walleye i usually stagger my weight i start with a small split shot about12 to18in from the hookand depending on the size of the minnow work my way up with a larger split shot 6in above that

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:25 PM »
I spool my tip-ups with regular braided tipup line. I tie a barrel swivel to the end and tie on a 5 ft leader of 8lb fluorocarbon. I use a single gamakatsu hook with a splitshot 1 ft above it. For a line marker i use the smallest reusable splitshot i have.

Trogdor.... what size braided tipup line do you use?
Benwyo

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:41 PM »
Does anyone know the best lb test Braided line for tip-ups to fish walleye's and Cat's?
Benwyo

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:44 PM »
20lb should be ok.....

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Thanks wyofly99, That is what I was thinking... :tipup:

Offline Fishly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:40 AM »
I really like gamakatsu hooks, they are sharp and certain ones have thinner wire so you do not put such a big hole in your minnow. I think flourocarbon is the way to go for leader. I use a slip sinker on top of a split shot on the leader. Even at 25 or 30 feet I do not see how you can set your depth by feel with out the extra weight. Any tips.....? Some of my buddies always use there flasher but I hate dragging it hole to hole. It seems like it is slower. How do you get a minnow down with now weight? A sweet way of marking your line other than a split shot or bobber is thread a small button on your braid. When your going down you hold onto the button and pull the braid thru. When you get your depth put the button there and it stays. When you wind up on your spool, you just wind right over it and do not even notice......Fishon

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:19 AM »
Does anyone know the best lb test Braided line for tip-ups to fish walleye's and Cat's?
Benwyo
I go all out with 50lb Power Pro and an 18 inch black steel leader. It's never let me down and you almost can't part it. Just over $12 at wally world.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline fcfcadd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:31 AM »
I would have to say I think I started a very interesting thread here. There are a lot of great ideas in here to try this year. I have about 25 tip ups so I will try a variety of options on each one. I may even mark each one to a specific depth. That way I don't have to set each one each time but rather have one specified to that particular depth. Then I can just drop the line instead of having to set each and every one each time. Sure would be faster that way. I want to thank every one who has provided an idea on how they set there tip ups up. Some would consider it confidential information or a trade secret. Goes to show you how help full the Ice Shanty can be.

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I get the SLOW bite alot!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2011, 01:36 PM »
Now after all that Cadd, throw all your tipups away and use 2#mono one 1 jiggin pole.  Much more satisfaction.  lol Just kidding, glad you got lots of help, I would want some help if it were me!
><{{{{*>~---

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2011, 02:43 PM »
You can also use a button as a line marker.  The great thing about using the flasher is that you can be sure your bait is right where you want it, once you get a line marker set, you don't have to worry about the flasher the rest of the day...unless you move.  I love jiggin, but it is also a nice bonus to look up and see a flag up.  Gamakatsu octopus hooks are my favorite for hooks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.