Author Topic: Aqua-Vu MICRO AV  (Read 16446 times)

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
Aqua-Vu MICRO AV
« on: Dec 06, 2011, 12:07 AM »
Picked one up today at Bass Pro. There is a fin to attach so you can use it with a side view but otherwise it's rigged to look straight down. It's on the charger now. (important to fully charge batteries before using them) I will get out and try it on the ice this week and I'll report back. Looks sweeeeeet!!!!! Keeping it away from the big pike as much as possible. Down-view should be good for that.
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Aqua-Vu MICRO AV
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:23 AM »
Please post and let us know how it works out. I was considering getting one.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:46 AM »
Epoxy a treble hook to it and bring on the pike! Have fun and let us know what you think.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:22 AM »
Tried mine out last weekend, and couldn't get a picture.  Brought it back to the house, and it worked fine.  Any little bit of moisture on the connection between the camera and display will render the unit useless.  I'm going to add a coating of dielectric grease to the connection to help prevent this.  Otherwise, the unit is tiny, and the picture quality is quite good, although a little distorted (I think it's a wide-angled lens).  Should be great for hole hopping.
Prayin' for cold

Offline mydogcarl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:59 AM »
Here is my Aqua Vu Micro / FL-20 setup...

Attached a small camera tripod to the back of the Micro

Plastic reel for the camera head is attached with Velcro

Removable and portable...
Mike

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:13 PM »
that is the smartest thing I have seen so far with this tiny little camera. Personally I thought they looked useless, who want to pay $300 for a camera that is designe to hole hop, but making it usefull at the hole makes it more valuable.. now if you could only improve the battery life  ;D

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:25 PM »
Have you guys been using these on the water yet. My son works at an outdoor store up here and they are starting to get them back, water getting into the camera.
I gotta chubby

Offline Chris Munchow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2011, 11:55 AM »
Guys,

The micro camera is podded so the issue is not leakage. A small shipment of micros arrived with the wrong diode from the factory. The issue was discovered very quickly but some had already shipped to retailers. The retailers were contacted and pulled everything from that shipment but some had already been been sold to customers. Basically the diode will malfunction in cold temperatures but work in temps above 60-degrees. If you have this problem and again they anticipate it to be a small amount from only a few retailers, contact Aqua-Vu support and they will fix you up ASAP.

Thanks
Chris Munchow

Offline Lance Yates

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2011, 01:08 PM »
that is the smartest thing I have seen so far with this tiny little camera. Personally I thought they looked useless, who want to pay $300 for a camera that is designe to hole hop, but making it usefull at the hole makes it more valuable.. now if you could only improve the battery life  ;D

The one I have is running a strong 7 hrs. on a charge at room temperature. But i just got a Trent portable charger/power supply that has 11,000 MA and is smaller than a cigarette pack and will run it for days!!! And re-charge my Droid phone too!

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Guys,

The micro camera is podded so the issue is not leakage. A small shipment of micros arrived with the wrong diode from the factory. The issue was discovered very quickly but some had already shipped to retailers. The retailers were contacted and pulled everything from that shipment but some had already been been sold to customers. Basically the diode will malfunction in cold temperatures but work in temps above 60-degrees. If you have this problem and again they anticipate it to be a small amount from only a few retailers, contact Aqua-Vu support and they will fix you up ASAP.

Thanks
Chris Munchow

I heard this from another member as well, so I contacted Aqua-Vu.  They are sending out a replacement immidiately.  Sorry to hijack the thread, hopefully I'll be able to post a better review with the new cam!
Prayin' for cold

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2011, 06:17 PM »
Tiny, Did yours leak?
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2011, 06:23 PM »
I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it does take awhile for the screen to turn from blue to actual picture when cold. Is that normal i just thought the screen needed to warm up.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Tiny, Did yours leak?

It didn't leak; at first I thought the problem was a bad connection from the camera to the monitor due to moisture.  The campany says that a lot of diodes (in the camera) was bad.  Therefore, when I dropped the camera down into the 40* water, I got a crap picture.  In warmer, dry temps the unit worked fine. 
Prayin' for cold

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Lance how does that Trent power pack hook up to the Micro. Is it like plugging in a cell phone to a charger ??  :tipup: Glenn
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:09 PM »
interested in hearing a solid equipment review as well! ordered mine 8 days ago and is finally shipping today!

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:23 PM »
Used mine all day today, works great. Did have one "problem", the catfish kept comming up and trying to eat the camera. You'd see wiskers comming in, then all the sudden all you could see was the inside of the mouth. Held up fine to the bite test.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:03 AM »
The one I have is running a strong 7 hrs. on a charge at room temperature

room tempurate and the temp on the ice are two very diffrent things. I find that most smaller pieces of electronics not using large flasher style batteries suffer from decreased battery life. My digital camera is a "freeze proof" camera, but the battery sure isnt so i have to keep it close to the chest to ensure i get the use of it all day

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:07 PM »
If the battery life is that much different from warm to cold you could stick an instant a toe warmer to the back.

Offline Budzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Lance how does that Trent power pack hook up to the Micro. Is it like plugging in a cell phone to a charger ??  :tipup: Glenn

Yep! It came with a connector that plugged right in. Now can recharge/ power cell and micro for days!

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:45 AM »
I got a Micro for Christmas. I charged the battery and tested it inside. Seemed to work just fine.

So yesterday I take it to the ice and the monitor goes blue screen, grainy video, blue screen, back and forth. It would not work. I brought it inside the shack for a while and it worked a bit better, but still issues. Not going to cut it if 30 degree weather malfunctions this thing.

So, thanks to this post, I was able to figure out we have an issue. I called Aqua Vu and they are sending a replacement camera. Bad Diode problem like was mentioned. I was instructed to cut the camera cord and send proof of this in an email. Then new camera, cable and spool is being sent out with a "free gift" for my troubles.

I will let you know how long shipping takes as well as what the free gift entails. Nina assisted me and she was very helpful and apologetic.

**Don't do anything until you contact Aqua View support obviously.
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:55 AM »
I got a Micro for Christmas. I charged the battery and tested it inside. Seemed to work just fine.

So yesterday I take it to the ice and the monitor goes blue screen, grainy video, blue screen, back and forth. It would not work. I brought it inside the shack for a while and it worked a bit better, but still issues. Not going to cut it if 30 degree weather malfunctions this thing.

So, thanks to this post, I was able to figure out we have an issue. I called Aqua Vu and they are sending a replacement camera. Bad Diode problem like was mentioned. I was instructed to cut the camera cord and send proof of this in an email. Then new camera, cable and spool is being sent out with a "free gift" for my troubles.

I will let you know how long shipping takes as well as what the free gift entails. Nina assisted me and she was very helpful and apologetic.

**Don't do anything until you contact Aqua View support obviously.

x2 I also had this problem and called them yesturday and are sending me a new camera. Great customer service if you ask me. Cant wait to use it.

surflizard

« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:06 AM »
It seems like all the New Super Duper Gadgets are flying out the door and flying right back in again !! Camera's, Augers, fishfinders, rods, reels and jigs too !! They are really putting out some Over Priced, High quality Crap nowadays ain't they ! I guess Manufacturers "Field Testing" and Customers real world use are still Miles apart !! :%$#!:

Offline BWB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2011, 02:11 PM »
I don't have one of these YET but have some friends that do and have only heard GOOD things.  The only down fall I can see is that it can fit down the hole :)  I've heard good clear picture quality and battery life seems good, granted we haven't really seen any cold wheather...

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:51 AM »
I got my new camera today and that is some fast shipping. I got it overnight talk about customer service. It works perfect now.

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2011, 01:14 PM »
I got my camera today. So they obviously are overnight shipping these. I plan to take it out today/tonight and see if it performs like it should. Customer service and shipping on this issue were awesome. Although the "free gift" for my troubles was a pair of can koozies. I wasn't expecting anything, but then they had to go and say "free gift for my troubles" getting my hopes up for a carrying case, or something of SOME value. They may as well not even mention the "free gift" by phone, just ship em and have the customer be "thrilled" with the koozies at that point. Don't build it up in the customer's minds.

I wasn't expecting anything, but a $300 piece of equipment malfunctioning day 1, there should be something in the form of retribution for the customer.

All in all, no harm now that the camera is back in hand. Had I been on a trip and had this issue, i would have been really upset. Thanks for the fast shipping!
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:15 PM »
A koozie, a pop can cover, you gotta be jokin.  I'd pinch a coil in that and send it back postage due.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:16 PM »
I got my camera today. So they obviously are overnight shipping these. I plan to take it out today/tonight and see if it performs like it should. Customer service and shipping on this issue were awesome. Although the "free gift" for my troubles was a pair of can koozies. I wasn't expecting anything, but then they had to go and say "free gift for my troubles" getting my hopes up for a carrying case, or something of SOME value. They may as well not even mention the "free gift" by phone, just ship em and have the customer be "thrilled" with the koozies at that point. Don't build it up in the customer's minds.

I wasn't expecting anything, but a $300 piece of equipment malfunctioning day 1, there should be something in the form of retribution for the customer.

All in all, no harm now that the camera is back in hand. Had I been on a trip and had this issue, i would have been really upset. Thanks for the fast shipping!

Go to cableas website and there is a print off for a free case for the micro.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Ice-Fishing/Underwater-Cameras%7C/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104664780/Aqua-Vu-AV-Micro-Underwater-Camera/1279468.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-ice-fishing-underwater-cameras%2F_%2FN-1100509%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104664780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104735880&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104735880%3Bcat104664780

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:59 AM »
I have been eyeing the Aqua-Vu Micro since I first heard about it. Almost ordered one before Christmas, but they were out (BassPro).  I now have $100 gift certificate to use towards it.  It is troubling to hear that so many of you have already experienced problems right off the bat ... but that always seems to be the case with new products, at least until the "bugs" are worked out.  I admit, they (Aqua Vu) should have worked all the bugs out before shipping, some problems do arise when a new product goes to "mass production".  At least Aqua Vu has a remedy for it and are willing to "make it right". 

I plan on ordering mine today, so hopefully I won't experience any problems. If I do have difficulty, at least now I know what to look out for.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:08 AM »
There should be a way to hook up an adaptor to my 12v battery on my Vex. Has anyone tried to hook up the Aqua Vu Micro to a flasher battery? How many volts and amps is the wall charger that comes with it? What I had in mind is a 12v automotive power outlet (cigarette lighter style) on my flasher so I could plug in my phone car-charger to my phone if it needs charging, and another "car-charger" for the Aqua Vu. Has anyone done or tried this?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.