Author Topic: Frabill suit vs Ice Armor  (Read 21093 times)

Offline Aminitaverosa

• IceShanty Rookie
Frabill suit vs Ice Armor
« on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:03 PM »
hey there folks, im new, and its a pleasure to make your acquaintance.  i was wondering what your opinions are in regards to an ice suit.  i would really like a frabill sno-suit, but seeing as how it is 600 a pop, i have been going back and forth between the frabill gray suit, and the ice armor suit.  i need to invest in a good ice suit this year. i weigh 140 and i get cold really easily.  i mostly need something that will reliably block the wind and stay waterproof.

thanks!

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Frabill suit vs Ice Armor
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:44 PM »
      Hello,
Don't know your name so here goes. Where did you see the Frabill for $600???? I purchased for Black Friday from Reeds a Frabills 2-piece suit for $214 with shipping. It was voted best for 2010 Ice Season. Read the specs on both and went with the Frabills. Ice Armor Extreme is $380 plus tax and or shipping. Tried to win the Ice Armor on ebay and lost out. Would have been $100 higher than the Frabills I bought if I had won. I too get cold easy. People I talked to all over said the 2-pc suit from Sportsman Guide was good. It WAS NOT!!! Could feel the wind come through in 20 degree weather. Sent it back. I would go with the Frabills over Ice Armor. I think you pay more for the Ice Armor name than you should. I'm sure I'll get blasted but so be it. A duck is a duck. Check Reed's, Fish USA and Amazon for the best price. Take the extra time to find the better deal and order it. Let us know how you made out. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Kim :tipup: :tipup: :icefish: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Aminitaverosa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:51 PM »
i work at gander mountain, and we sold the frabill sno suit last year for 300 for each piece of the suit (300 for the bibs, 300 for the jacket).  that thing was awesome, but wicked expensive.  i tend to think the frabill shelters are a bit better manufactured than the clam shelters, but i have been beyond impressed with my ice armor gloves and hat.

Offline rangerbill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2011, 10:27 AM »
I really like the Ice Armor blue suit.  For a guy on a budget, I pair it with Farm and Fleet brand base layer, and a pair of jeans...throw a fleece on and hit the ice.  I have not been cold.  I did just get the Ice Armor grey suit...found it in the Cabela's bargain cave for $200...couldn't resist.

Offline Aminitaverosa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2011, 10:58 AM »
thats a great deal on that suit! good find.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Went to FRABILLS'S website and found out more on the suits. The suits that are $300 for each are the top-of-the-line. The middle next and then the suit I bought. Still $300 for both. Not to be detered I read about the history of the Frabills's suit. Seems they mergered or bought out SNO-SUIT Inc. That company has been in business since 1938 making the best around. MADE IN AMERICA!!!!! Too much too tell right here just click on the FRABILLS logo at the top of the Ice Shanty main page. rangerbill, you did great on the Ice Armor. If I found that suit for $200 I'd be happy too. Pays to check around................ ........
      Kim :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Picked up the Sno Suit last year and can't say enough. In my mind it was worth every cent. I had picked up a AA suit and fished in it for a week and was not happy. I stopped by my local shop and they had just got the new sno suit in. The let me take on out for the afternoon. SOLD The best part is that I was able to return the AA suit. I am lucky to live in such a great community.

Bullelk34

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Picked up the Sno Suit last year and can't say enough. In my mind it was worth every cent. I had picked up a AA suit and fished in it for a week and was not happy. I stopped by my local shop and they had just got the new sno suit in. The let me take on out for the afternoon. SOLD The best part is that I was able to return the AA suit. I am lucky to live in such a great community.
What didn't you like about the Arctic Armor?

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:18 PM »
The thing did not breath.   I am a bluegill fisherman and spend the day drilling and hole hopping.  I would break out in a sweat just walking out. Nothing worse then getting sweat wet. I also had a bunch of stiching come undone in the bibs. A pocket was also starting to fall off on the jacket.

Offline BS-BARN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:24 PM »
Had the ice armor blue suit for two season and LOVE IT! Cant speak for any other suit being that this is the only one I have used. It is great and I have never been cold in it. All you have to do is layer a bit more with the blue suit but I prefer that anyway.

Offline WhiteSquall

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I also have had the ice armor blue suit for a couple years. I have nothing bad to say about it.

I also got a killer deal on mine in the bargain cave.  $175 I think  ;D

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2011, 09:01 AM »
It would be hard to go wrong with any of the suits out there today. They all server the perpose great. The major thing I would consider is waterproofing.  Some are much better than others. The other thing is do you need a liner or just a shell.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Been wearing a blue suit for 5 years, while I have no REAL complaints with it, it's just not substantial enough. There really isn't enough insulation to it, you have to wear too many layers underneath, when you get the fabrics and wicking/non-wicking layers down it all worked out quite well....Just TOO much work and time getting dressed, not to mention range of motion then suffers. I have a few friends who have the gray suits and love them. I tried on both of Frabill's best suits last year and was SOLD on what my next one is going to be, hands down! I'm getting the black one, I believe the "Ice suit" is what it's called. The only thing I didn't care for with the "Sno-suit" was the jacket not being parka style, personally I like the longer style coat, more coverage and bigger front pockets....

Frabill has really stepped it up over the past couple years,  many of their products have risen above the rest.....
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline tgus59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2011, 04:42 PM »
http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=25471&pc=2583

I just ordered this suit today, anyone have it?  It looks like a great deal but I'd love to hear some pro's and con's on it.

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Best thing you can do is sign up for the Cabela's Visa Card... I did that, put everything on it, pay it off each week (don't have to pay interest that way!).  You rack up points, and every fall around thanksgiving, they do a VIP night where the card holders get employee discount (25% on frabill suits).  Unfortunately, they didn't carry the snosuit, but I got the icesuit for 299.99, and since I had $350 in points, I got it for free.  Each fall, I spend my points on ice fishing gear.  Last year I got a Lazer Pro ice auger and Frabill Commando shanty for about $350 out of pocket, and the year before that, I grabbed an LX-5 out of the bargain cave for $100 out of pocket. 

Anyways, I picked up the icesuit, seems great, has kind of a tight fit to it (bought a large - 5'10, 185 lbs).  But I like it.  Haven't had a chance to use it yet. 

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2011, 08:17 PM »
you should buy or look into the artic armour it floats if you fall in
thats why i bought one. they all keep you warm but the artic armor floats ;D
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline danerc07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2012, 11:08 PM »
Just ordered the Frabill Icesuit (black) and I can't wait to try it out. I was initially planning on buying the grey ice armor suit but it was out of stock in all the places I looked. After doing some research I think the black suit will do just as good of job keeping me dry and warm and it was cheaper. Another reason I think I will like the black better is because it won't show dirt and grime like the grey suit does. Right now I wear a black/white/grey columbia jacket and it's extremely warm but the parts that aren't black are crazy dirty, the kind of dirty that doesn't come out in the wash! I got the Frabill suit shipped to my door for 240 brand new on ebay. It probably isn't the lowest price they sell for but it was the lowest I could find. I figure if they're selling them for 400 on frabill.com 240 wasn't such a bad number! Anyways I'm pumped to get on the ice with it and I'm sure I'll be posting some type of review within the next couple weeks.
youtube.com/danerc07

Offline weak-ling

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get off the computer and fish.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:04 AM »
If your looking for something like the Artic armour look at the new striker ice suit it floats like the AA.  Sadly I did test this suit out when I fell in a couple of weeks ago and it does work.  When I got out of the water I didn't feel cold at all.  I have fished in zero degree weather with just jeans and a couple of shirts and have not gotten cold yet.  The striker does have vent holes if you do get hot.

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2012, 07:06 AM »
Welcome to the site Aminitaverosa!  I think the Frabill suits are very well built.  If your running on a 4-wheeler or snomobile they wont let the cold in.  It sure beats Carharts on the ice!  Weak-ling glad things turned out ok.  Glad your floatation helped you.  I've got an AA suit but still don't want to go under.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline BBBnTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:46 AM »
I bought my wife a frabil black suit last year she is always cold think I paid 3 something for it.......She never complains anymore at all,Works great nice suit all around.
This year I Bought a ice armor Gray suit for myself.........Keeps me warm no problem there (BUT) we spend alto of weekends on ice in a permy shack and I cant fit the bibs on over my boots..........zippers only come up to the knee.

On the frabil the zipper comes all the way up to the waist or close to it anyway............so I kind of wish I would have got the frabill.............bu t all and all that's my only complait on ice armor. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.