The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Auger  (Read 12393 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Auger
« Reply #60 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:14 PM »
My old Jiffy Legend quit me last year. I went w/ the Strikemaster lazer pro w./ the Solo Engine.  After 3 trips bouncing around in my sled the solo was toast.  All of the parts are plastic and won't stand up to the knocking around that happens when you pull you gear behind you w/ a snowmobile or 4 wheeler.  I am building a padded box to put it in but will have to pull the auger off everytime I move.
"solo was toast"? Did it quit entirely? I'd contact Strikemaster, or have you?

Offline ridin_high25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:30 PM »
I love my Strikemaster with the Solo engine. 2 years no problems and still on the same chipper blade that it came with!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Yeah I have a Strike-Lite II which I really enjoy. No problems at all.

Offline FairIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 10, 2011, 03:36 PM »
I have a 3HP Jiffy Stealth.  Bought it in Feb 2010.  The quick connect in a word.."sucks"  It started and ran very well.  Until the first time out this year.  The recoil starter spring broke on the 8th hole at pathfinder.  Jiffy told me I would have to contact a small engine repair shop to get the part.  Thirty dollars later it is running again.  The recoil starter can't be rebuilt,  it is only a throw away part.  Another side note is, Jiffy won't help out with Tecumseh motors they had installed on their augers, they refer you to outside sources.     

Offline Uncle Grumpy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:12 PM »
Hey buddy, if you are in the market for a hand auger you can not go wrong with a Niles. Best ice fishing investment I ever made. Order now as they are hard to come by later in the season.

Offline wyfireparamedic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:16 PM »
I had a strike master and it worked great but the handle kept braking with that plastic.   I bought a Jiffy two years ago and ran great and all my buddies used it as well when on the ice.  They all have their own as well.  I just bought the newer propane Jiffy model and it seems to be great.  It is really fast and had no problems.  The strike master I had also would flood easy when it got really cold and if the holes were not drilled when it was warm you were done. 

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #66 on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:25 AM »
   Is it locked up Dilli or just won't run. If you are in town run it by the house and we will see if it's revivable.

Offline SagebrushSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 11, 2011, 03:06 PM »
After extensive research I went with the Jiffy Pro 4 in the 10" configuration. Seems to be an excellent unit. Started on the second pull as advertised and I cannot believe how quiet it is even at full throttle. The warranty they offer was a real selling point for me. Cant wait to hit the ice next weekend!  @)

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #68 on: Dec 11, 2011, 03:55 PM »
After extensive research I went with the Jiffy Pro 4 in the 10" configuration. Seems to be an excellent unit. Started on the second pull as advertised and I cannot believe how quiet it is even at full throttle. The warranty they offer was a real selling point for me. Cant wait to hit the ice next weekend!  @)
Same here SBS. I'm nearing a 100 holes so far this year and am still on the same bottle. Although it's not a good test because of the ice being so thin. Yesterday at Ocean lake my Buddy's auger wouldn't run to I told him to grab mine and use it...pretty soon i hear "where's the choke"? I just chuckled and said just pull the handle. After he got done, I believe the last words out of his mouth was "I gotta get one of these".
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline Dilli

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ya Baby!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:32 PM »
I got replacement parts on the way.  Total cost $41.  I took the Jiffy to a small engine repair shop and they nsaid it was dead. no compression. My mechanic at the golf course decided he needed a project and he got my jiffy running again. loose Magneto.  so maybe I have a spare. Towing that sled behind a snowmobile is hard on things when they start to bounce around.

Offline JustinCase

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Wyofarmer, how is your hitch pin modification working out for you?

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #71 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:35 PM »
Ok; I have all three

Gas,
Jiffy 30 old reliable. My first power auger. Took a while to realize that the mix in not 50:1 its 24:1 took 3 years. Read the instructions. LOL After figuring that out its a good runner. But got frustrated with it so I bought a
Eskimo Marco M43 50:1 and loved it until the gas tank started leaking. Go figure. Headache to buy a new tank but it was the flaw in the design, so I bought two to be safe. Hasn't leaked yet on the new tank.

Propane,
Pro 4 model Love it. Love it. Peace of crap!!!! LOL When I don't have a fuel line issue. Which this weekend I took it out and never made it onto the ice. Fuel line leaked with the regulator. Now jiffy has fix the issue with a newer generation, but I still have the first gen so I get to keep cussing at it.
I tried Eskimo propane just as good.

Electric,
Well this year the K-drill is the way to go????? Ya you want me to spend how much for a bit??? I picked up a couple at the St Paul Icefishing show and liked it but for the money I just couldn't get my head rapped around it. So After comparing a lot of electric drills. The green one can't remember the name. I decided to go with the clam plate. Again new design for your drill. Also I have a 20V dewalt and found out this year dewalt came out with a 6amp battery. Fiddle sticks cause I bought two 5amp for the drill just to ice fish with. LOL. I used it on boysen last weekend Love it. Easy very very easy. But the question, I kept asking my self was 6 inch or 8 inch bit??? Now Clam came out with a torque reducer for there plate. So if you want a bigger hole you can add it to the plate so the drill wont wear out on you as fast for the bigger bits/holes. Not a bad idea. But I decided to split the middle a get a eskimo 7 inch bit. No issues yet used it a bunch but will have to see how the season holds up. Go dewalt.

So After using all three and still owning all three well more that that. I would say. Propane. I don't smell like gas trying to fill the auger. No gas in my house to fume me out. They fixed the issue with the new design. After buying mine my friend went out a purchased one the next year and never had a issue with it yet.
Second is very close call I would say the electric. Its light and easy to use. Just haven't had it long enough to give a educated opinion yet.

Hope this helps. If you see me out on the water. Just ask good chance I'll have the propane and electric on me. Gas stays at home but I'll keep for backup or big trips with lots of people so we all have a auger to fish with.

No one left behind.     

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:03 PM »
Nice little wrote up Special!  :tipup:

A week ago or so I picked up an 8" K-Drill with a Milwaukee M18 Fuel driver. I used a friends a number of times last season and am looking forward to getting this one together, charged and on the ice as soon as I can. I heard about the Jiffy issues last season or two (I'm friends with a Jiffy rep) and hopefully they have it knocked out. Some have had issues when it gets too cold for proper vaporization, have you run into that? I now have a couple of hand augers, a gas powered and the electric. Does a spud bar count?  ;D

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #73 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Wyoutdoors, You are correct!! I forgot a spud bar. As for vaporization issues with the jiffys, I just bring in my propane cylinders in the house to stay warm and no issues. Very easy to screw on and off 30 seconds to do so. Then you don't have to worry about the propane freezing. Simple fix on very cold days if your above 0 I've never had to take it off.

Spud bar
I have the Eskimo Two piece works great. Folds into two pieces for storage and convenience. Its heavy enough to cut though the ice. Also have a shorty that is great to help get the frozen tipups out of the holes. Also it can save your life on soft spots or finding thin ice.

Chainsaw
My STIHL is a fine cutter. FYI if you decide to use one. Needs to be 20" plus bar, Why you ask trying to cut though 12 plus inches of ice with a 16 or 18 bar not so easy. Used it a couple times last year. Just put peanut or veggie oil in it so your not putting hydrocarbon in the water. 

Dynamite. Good luck I will just plead the 5th it was assume.  ;D
No one left behind.     

Offline sickchopperaltitude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:12 PM »
Got an Eskimo mako 43  8 inch for $264 free shipping last year.  It is a 1 pull start.  Doesn't need choked until 0 degrees or so.  Hope I don't have the bad gas tank issue.

Offline brianboh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 08, 2017, 07:43 PM »
you can buy a propane jiffy from jiffy for 225 with 1 year warranty

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 10, 2017, 01:30 PM »
Purchased the new jiffy 44 pro this season.   Love it so far.   It did arrive with cracked plastic from shipping.  Called jiffy they sent out replacement parts asap.   No cost to me and they arrived quickly.

Offline Wyo7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:55 AM »
Anyone having issues with propane augers when temps get below zero?

Offline Wyojoe20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:43 PM »
I bought a used Eskimo stingray and it doesn't seem to have an adjustment screw on the carb, is this some new government regulation? Is there still a way to adjust it? TIA

Offline WY Gamehead Stuffer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:31 PM »
Nothing more frustrating than an auger that won't start. Been there and over an hour from home to boot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.