The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Auger  (Read 12390 times)

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
Re: Going to buy an Auger, which one ??
« Reply #30 on: Nov 28, 2011, 03:05 PM »
Lazer Mag- A quality auger for the $ and a good investment. Trogdor, whom I fish with owns one but has been a little disappointed after burning up a clutch. Unfortunately in my experience this model is just a touch too small to yield a 10" auger blade. We drill many more holes than most. The LM is rated at 42 CC.  Weight with 10" blade 29 LBS.

True, I burned up a clutch a month after buying it, but it was under warranty and they fixed it up and its run great since. I the number of holes i cut with it is 1000+.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline threelungs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:09 PM »
True, I burned up a clutch a month after buying it, but it was under warranty and they fixed it up and its run great since. I the number of holes i cut with it is 1000+.
I'll vouch for that 1000+ the grids are artwork.
"Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose." ~Yoda

Offline ratfink1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep some, eat some, and let some go!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:32 PM »
i have had my mag 2000 for a long time and only put one new blade on it  i have cut allot of holes with it two foot thick no problem.

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 28, 2011, 11:55 PM »
Well I returned the auger today and ended up getting the strike lite.
It sure was nice packing the thing around today! The auger worked great
and I had no complaints. I guess with only 4" of ice only time will tell.
It felt great to get out on the ice, drill a few holes and put a few fish
in the fryer.

Offline crazyfishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Auger
« Reply #34 on: Dec 03, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Planning on buying my first Auger, Any suggestions? Eslimo sharkz71 or Jiffy pro 4? ???

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
Re: Ice Auger
« Reply #35 on: Dec 03, 2011, 09:06 PM »
Planning on buying my first Auger, Any suggestions? Eslimo sharkz71 or Jiffy pro 4? ???
Find you one that doesn't have a bunch of plastic parts on it especially the throttle lever.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 03, 2011, 10:23 PM »
eskimo Z71 last year was plastic handle, now it is metal for this season.

I perfer the eskimo's over the new jiffys.
Don

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 03, 2011, 11:12 PM »
eskimo Z71 last year was plastic handle, now it is metal for this season.

I perfer the eskimo's over the new jiffys.
+1 Eskimo makes awesome augers!!!! I have the mako it has never let me down and drills the holes quick...

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 03, 2011, 11:50 PM »
eskimo for sure
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline crazyfishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2011, 06:47 AM »
Thanks, Eskimo wins, got go big Z71. I'm gonna hate the drag onto jackson lake, but it drills fast. I guess I have yet another good reason for the pindale area lakes.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #40 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Most of you know what my opinion is. I drilled 30+ holes yesterday and love my pro 4 more with each hole. I've drilled at least 70 holes with it so far and am on the original bottle. Granted, the ice still isn't that thick. I'm keeping track though. My vote is with the pro 4.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2011, 10:19 AM »
Nothing against the pro 4 but have you checked out the new 4g, same 4 stroke engine but with gas. Should have more power.

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2011, 01:28 PM »
Find you one that doesn't have a bunch of plastic parts on it especially the throttle lever.

Those "Plastic parts" aren't just Plastic.
The components are alot more durable than a person would think.
They are not going to engineer "Cheap plastic parts" that will break very easy.
The composit handles are extremely tough.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 04, 2011, 03:25 PM »
Most of you know what my opinion is. I drilled 30+ holes yesterday and love my pro 4 more with each hole. I've drilled at least 70 holes with it so far and am on the original bottle. Granted, the ice still isn't that thick. I'm keeping track though. My vote is with the pro 4.
I also am loving my pro 4. When I bought it, I knew it wasn't the fastest or most powerful. It never claimed to be. What I love most of all is no fuel on my hands! No smell in my SUV! The Z71 looks way sweet, but for my situation, the jiffy is fast enough. The other auger that almost beat the jiffy in my eyes was the strike lite 2. 23#!!!  Put propane on that and I will sell the Jiffy in a heart beat. Tight lines!

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #44 on: Dec 04, 2011, 05:49 PM »
I found my first dislike on my jiffy. The "quickattach" to hook the auger to the power head is a pain in the rear end. That plastic/rubber sleeve that holds the pin in makes it almost impossible to take apart when it's really cold. I wish they would use a coupler kinda like a hydraulic hose for tractors. I'm gonna take it off and use a locking hitch type pin.

Offline Wind River Kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((^)))*>
« Reply #45 on: Dec 04, 2011, 06:28 PM »
I found my first dislike on my jiffy. The "quickattach" to hook the auger to the power head is a pain in the rear end. That plastic/rubber sleeve that holds the pin in makes it almost impossible to take apart when it's really cold. I wish they would use a coupler kinda like a hydraulic hose for tractors. I'm gonna take it off and use a locking hitch type pin.

This is what you need. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=16&gs_id=f&xhr=t&q=steering+wheel+quick+release&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4GZAG_enUS430US430&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&ion=1&biw=1024&bih=540&wrapid=tljp1323044772484018&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16573433953155401976&sa=X&ei=ug_cTvF6g5aJAq7MpN0J&sqi=2&ved=0CFgQ8gIwAQ#  Then you could be Nascar fast ;D

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy

Offline Jynx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2011, 11:20 AM »
Just a quick comment about changing that quick connect to a hitch pin style, you may want to have a way to connect the auger to your powerhead in case your hitch pin decides it wants to become a shear pin and break when you get through the ice, may save a bunch of $$$ not having to replace the head.  just my .02

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Just a quick comment about changing that quick connect to a hitch pin style, you may want to have a way to connect the auger to your powerhead in case your hitch pin decides it wants to become a shear pin and break when you get through the ice, may save a bunch of $$$ not having to replace the head.  just my .02
Good idea Jynx. I found a grade 8 type pin that fits like a glove. If i break that, I will have put the wrong colored bottle on that says NOS insted of camp fuel.  ;D

Offline Jynx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2011, 11:43 AM »
just a side note, quick couplers for jiffy and Strikemaster are available through sportsmansguide

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/kwik-koupler-for-strikemaster-augers.aspx?a=499094

I'm sure one of our sponsors should carry these, I just don't have the time to check at the moment....

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #50 on: Dec 05, 2011, 11:46 AM »
I also am loving my pro 4. When I bought it, I knew it wasn't the fastest or most powerful. It never claimed to be. What I love most of all is no fuel on my hands! No smell in my SUV! The Z71 looks way sweet, but for my situation, the jiffy is fast enough. The other auger that almost beat the jiffy in my eyes was the strike lite 2. 23#!!!  Put propane on that and I will sell the Jiffy in a heart beat. Tight lines!

I 've been a fan of the Pro 4 since it came out, sure it's had teething problems, most high tech products do, The thing is if Jiffy stands behind their product and makes things right. Everything I've read says that they do and have improved the Pro 4 this year. I cant wait until othe manufacturers get on the propane bandwagon!! Hopefully the weight will come down also, along with price!! Time will tell!!! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Benjfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Auger
« Reply #51 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:57 PM »
How much do these pro 4s' weight?

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:19 PM »
How much do these pro 4s' weight?

38# +1 pd propane bottle

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:28 AM »
I have used Eskimo augers quite a bit because two of my friends have them. They cut great with new blades but those blades do need replacing at least once a season. More often if you fish wind-blown lakes. Almost daily if you fish Hattie. To me that is the big negative with them; changing blades so often. I have a Jiffy that is going on 4 years with the original blades. I'm not sure what I would buy if shopping for new again but it would either be the Lazer or Jiffy style blades.

Offline WYOBRUM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:41 PM »
 :tipup:I have a 1986 Eskimo 10 inch am the original owner drilled thousands of holes still running the original plug, up until last year it had the original blade just was getting a little short from sharpening It is heavy but has lasted forever.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:57 PM »
Strike-Lite II... just sayin'...  ;)

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 07, 2011, 11:42 PM »
I have used Eskimo augers quite a bit because two of my friends have them. They cut great with new blades but those blades do need replacing at least once a season. More often if you fish wind-blown lakes. Almost daily if you fish Hattie. To me that is the big negative with them; changing blades so often. I have a Jiffy that is going on 4 years with the original blades. I'm not sure what I would buy if shopping for new again but it would either be the Lazer or Jiffy style blades.

Do those Eskimo augers have the old turbo style blades or the new quantum style?  I know I drilled alot of holes last year with my Eskimo, I have yet to drill a hole this year with it, but the blades are cheaper on the eskimo than the Jiffys and the Strikemasters.

Chipper blade style is a whole different animal when it comes to drilling holes and how long they last.
Don

Offline stooge_32000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:40 AM »
I enjoy my propane auger also....nice not to lug fuel around anymore!!!

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 10, 2011, 10:35 AM »
I have a 30year old jiffy and it works great never changed the plug changed the flute to the new interchangable blade type can fill it with gas and punch all the holes i need in a day on that tank of gas. can drill over 20 hole in 5 feet of iice no problem.just my 2 cents

Offline Dilli

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ya Baby!
« Reply #59 on: Dec 10, 2011, 01:53 PM »
My old Jiffy Legend quit me last year. I went w/ the Strikemaster lazer pro w./ the Solo Engine.  After 3 trips bouncing around in my sled the solo was toast.  All of the parts are plastic and won't stand up to the knocking around that happens when you pull you gear behind you w/ a snowmobile or 4 wheeler.  I am building a padded box to put it in but will have to pull the auger off everytime I move. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.