The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Auger  (Read 12389 times)

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Auger
« on: Nov 25, 2011, 02:44 PM »
Heading to Billings tonight. Wondering what ice auger to purchase.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Going to buy an Auger, which one ??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2011, 02:47 PM »
Power?
Hand?
Diameter?
Don

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2011, 03:11 PM »
Scheels has a good selection this year. I went with the pro 4. Don't forget to make them give you a free hat or shirt with $250 purchase. Be safe, Joe

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2011, 03:17 PM »
I would try to get one that runs or at least one that drills holes if human-powered.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2011, 06:35 PM »
i have an eskimo mako and has never failed me since 2004
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Jiffy STX Pro II. Beast of an auger. A bit heavy but not by much compared to the others that are gas powered!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Pro 4.   
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2011, 09:36 PM »
Wyofarmer and I were talking tonight about augers,  I went with the Eskimo and he has the pro 4.  I researched jiffy, eskimo, strikemaster and ice gator, as well as the nils.  I decided against a electric because the tech is just not there for me to beleive they are worth the money.

so it left me for gas augers.  The pro4 was just released or not but I did not want a Jiffy due to some other reasons I had seen on ice shanty.

It was down to the strikemaster vs eskimo.  The strikemasters with the solo engines and lazer blades on them cut ice like it is butter. 

Eskimo is a tried and true name to ice fishing with their cold weather purpose made Viper engines.

Next came the prices of replacement blades.  Those lazer blades are really pricey.  the blades for the Eskimo are roughly $30 for the pair on a 10" bit. 

Being in Wyoming and running the risk of sand and pebbles blown out on to the ice, I went with the Eskimo Z71 with a 10" bit and bought a spare set of blades.  I have yet to use the new blades but I carry them with me all the time.  That and I got a killer deal on it due to someone mis-quoting my wife.  :)
Don

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Enjoy Jopes!

Online fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2011, 10:52 AM »
I went with a Eskimo sportsman 18 years ago and loved the Eskimo augers, like the dependability and how light the auger was. I have been around a lot of jiffy augers and seems like they are heavy, do not know about the new pro 4 how heavy it is. Have had a few guys that owned strike master augers and they are set up very much like the Eskimo but I like the dual cutting blades, seem to cut smoother.  One of the guys that I fish with owns a jiffy and loves it, but it was in for repairs and he used my auger and did notice that the Eskimo was lighter than his. So I broke Down and bought a Eskimo shark auger half way through the season last year so now I have a back up so I never have to stop drilling holes if one needs to go in for repair. Also helps when fishing Derby's always have the backup.  Just a personal feeling on augers go with the one that has the best reviews and research everything if you have the time.  Just like the flip to hub ice shanty Delima I own both and like my flip better, do not have to carry as much stuff when fishing with the family. Good luck on the auger, mine is a 8 inch and have not gotten a fish through it yet, plus my daughters will not go through the hole, the only thing is a 9 inch hole the metal minnow buckets sit in it so you can keep your minnows fresh and not worry about changing the water, but they fall through a 10 inch hole so remember to tie the bucket off and latch the top before putting it in the hole.  Good luck to everyone, hope we are all drilling holes in a little while, looks like next weekend the highs are only in the teens.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2011, 10:56 AM »
The pro 4 is no light weight. :P

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2011, 04:48 PM »
bought a jiffy propane last year.  really like it so far no mess with gas starts every time easily drills good.

Offline rks-icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2011, 04:58 PM »
I likwe my Strikemaster. Quite a few pounds lighter than the Jiff's and Eskimo's and drills very fast with plenty of power. I have never had any trouble starting it.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2011, 07:21 PM »
Used my 6" on the jiffy tonight. perfect for hole hopping on early ice! Started on the first pull again. feeling really spoiled. ;D

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2011, 01:16 AM »
Well didn't have enough time to read the responses on this blog (Wife was dragging me out the door)
I ended up narrowing it down to the Jiffy Pro 4 and the strike master lite 4 stroke.
I came home with the Pro 4. The salesman said that he used the pro 4  alot last year and had no problems with it.
It is heavier than I like, but the propane was kind of the selling point for me.

Wyo Farmer, any problems with your's last year ?

Thanks

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2011, 09:05 AM »

Wyo Farmer, any problems with yours last year ?

Thanks
I just got mine this fall so i can't tell you i had any problems. The only problems i heard was a leaky fuel line but Jiffy has since got that resolved. I used it the first time i hit the hardwater this year but only drilled 2 holes. The spud bar only takes 2 or 3 hits to go through the ice so i don't see the point in taking it yet. Yes it's a little heavy but I almost always fish out of a my 4 wheeler or walk a short distance. I believe that almost all of the auger are good augers. Like jopes said, some of the blades are cheaper than others...way cheaper but the more expensive ones last a lot longer. The blades on my old 10in mod. 30 hadn't been sharpened in at least 8 years and still cut faster than my buddies 8 in. Lets just keep eachother posted on any problems/likes/dislikes.

Offline Mike47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2011, 09:10 AM »
Eskimo Z71 great auger. :)
IMG]http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q762/MikeGoe49/lx001.jpg[/IMG]

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:37 PM »
Wyo Farmer, Wyo Farmer......
I have a bit of dissapointment upon assembling the auger.
I read a few blogs about the regulator sticking open, and asked the salesman about this.
He said he had never heard about this.. I'm thinking that I Jinxed myself asking about this.
I filled with oil, and did the 2 short pulls like recomended.
I could hear propane running out of the carb instantly. Needless to say, the POS wont start.
Now I am stuck with a brand new auger that wont start.
The salesman said that If I didn't like it he would buy it back reguardless of when it is.
But he's not going to pay the gas money is he.....
Think I am going with the strike master 4 stroke.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2011, 01:08 PM »
I read a few blogs about the regulator sticking open, and asked the salesman about this.
He said he had never heard about this.. I'm thinking that I Jinxed myself asking about this.
I could hear propane running out of the carb instantly. Needless to say, the POS wont start.
The salesman said that If I didn't like it he would buy it back reguardless of when it is.
That sucks eye. That's the first i heard of that kind of thing. I would suggest calling jiffy and letting them know. If you don't get an answer, be persistant. bug the heck out of them. Just remember though, it could happen with a new quad or truck too. Let me know how they handle it.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2011, 01:16 PM »
That sucks eye. That's the first i heard of that kind of thing. I would suggest calling jiffy and letting them know. If you don't get an answer, be persistant. bug the heck out of them. Just remember though, it could happen with a new quad or truck too. Let me know how they handle it.

I agree there,  most failures are going to happen the first time you start it. 
Don

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2011, 01:42 PM »
I agree, I am starting to think that it is better to buy used sometimes.
Jopes, WyoFarmer, Have you guys been ice fishing at all ? or has the weather warming dampened your fishing.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2011, 02:57 PM »
I agree, I am starting to think that it is better to buy used sometimes.
Jopes, WyoFarmer, Have you guys been ice fishing at all ? or has the weather warming dampened your fishing.
I'm gonna try and head out today. Don't know if the wife will go for it or not though.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2011, 03:52 PM »
No ice here in my area that I know of.  Maybe up in the mountains.  I am undecided if this weekend will be my last out in the boat or put it up and find ice.
Don

Offline Wind River Kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((^)))*>
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2011, 04:44 PM »

Gotta say I'm with the Farmer on this one.............Call Jiffy and see if they can help you out with it. I know it sucks having to work on something right out of the box but at least if it breaks down again on the ice you just have that much more knowledge on how to work on it to get it up and going again. You chose that auger for your own obvious reasons. Get the bugs worked out so you can enjoy it!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Strikemaster- ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  2 thumbs up.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2011, 06:23 PM »
Strikemaster- ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  2 thumbs up.

Which Strike master are you running ?
I was looking at the strike master /strike lite, and from what the salesman said,
and what reviews I've read, they are a great auger, but having to change the
blades once, or twice a year at $50 a pop, doesn't sound that good either.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Sorry to hear about the auger. >:(  Same thing happened to me last year with my marcum camera. Hang in there though. Like the farmer said, you chose the pro 4 for a reason. Not to rub it in, but I took my pro 4 out tonight and couldn't be happier. It put me on fish because I drilled about twenty holes, then used the camera to find fish. Last year I would rarely drill that many holes and sure that I missed fish because of that. also, not having to breath fumes on the drive home is soooo nice. My advice...It is a keeper. good luck!

Offline BIG WEST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 27, 2011, 09:13 PM »
i got the eskimo z71 shark. had it for two seasons and hasnt given any problems. only thing i dont like about any of these new augers is the amount of plaswtic they use.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Sorry to hear about the auger. >:(  Same thing happened to me last year with my marcum camera. Hang in there though. Like the farmer said, you chose the pro 4 for a reason. Not to rub it in, but I took my pro 4 out tonight and couldn't be happier. It put me on fish because I drilled about twenty holes, then used the camera to find fish. Last year I would rarely drill that many holes and sure that I missed fish because of that. also, not having to breath fumes on the drive home is soooo nice. My advice...It is a keeper. good luck!

I own an older model, the Mag2000 (black/white-mostly metal parts) and feel that it is a quality well used auger which has given me no issues over the years.

Although I have ran the following S.M. augers. Here is what I thought of them so far.

Strikelite 2-Although a compact/lightweight model (this is the upside)  it does not possess the horsepower and torque to quickly punch through 2 feet of ice. It kind of felt like running a weed eater.

Lazer Mag- A quality auger for the $ and a good investment. Trogdor, whom I fish with owns one but has been a little disappointed after burning up a clutch. Unfortunately in my experience this model is just a touch too small to yield a 10" auger blade. We drill many more holes than most. The LM is rated at 42 CC.  Weight with 10" blade 29 LBS.

-THese two models I have not field tested.
Pro Lazer- The Pro Lazer appears to be a model step up from the Lazermag it is rated at 54 CC. With as many holes as I drill in a season this is the model I would choose if only for the reason of Horse power. The downside for some is that with a 10" auger it weighs 29 LBS!

Magnum- 27 LBS. and rated at 37 CC.

So, in summary:
The Strikelite 2 is a small duty machine. The Lazer Mag is a quality product if using a 6" auger bit. The Pro Lazer is for the icefishing junkie who drills 100 ten inch holes in a day.   The Magnum I assume falls somewhere in the middle.

I hope this is of some help to you in your strikemaster interest. I would also suggest calling the strikemaster customer service line and speaking to someone in maintinence about the differences in models and what your auger needs require.  Tight Lines Mr. Eyefinder.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2011, 11:40 AM »
I have been running a strike master for 7 years now first was a used 8" older modle that a guy used for ten years and i used for 2 runs great i slod it to a guy 2 winters ago he loves it! I now have a mag 2000 with 10" with the chipper blade works awsome i have drilled hundres of holes runs like a top. If I were to invest in a new one i think I would have to try the eskimo Z71 from all the reading i have done it seems like the best on the market.
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.