Author Topic: marcum showdown troller  (Read 15746 times)

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: marcum showdown troller
« Reply #30 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:56 PM »
SURFLIZARD The troller runs on 6 11/2 volt batteries, that makes 9 volts.  With the performance pack you can plug the troller into a battery (12volt) is that true.  Just checking with someone who might know.

Offline bassin329

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 09, 2011, 02:08 PM »
I believe I read on the description of the troller was that, you can use the 6 or attach it to a 12 volt 8 or 9 amp. I also read a post stating that some put in a bigger fuse to help out on blown fuses, that may of been the 5.6 duel, I'm not 100% on that. I'm hoping to get the duel if this weather comes out of the tropical temps :'(
Respect the land and water you tread on, it's not just yours.

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 09, 2011, 02:51 PM »
You can run it on a 12 volt but you need the wire harness that comes with the pro-pack.  Or you can just order the harness from Showdown's website.  It has the spade connectors to go from the 12 volt battery to the little plug that hangs out of the back of the unit.  I run mine on a 4.5 ah 12 volt battery.  Still haven't blown a fuse yet. 

surflizard

« Reply #33 on: Dec 09, 2011, 04:59 PM »
SURFLIZARD The troller runs on 6 11/2 volt batteries, that makes 9 volts.  With the performance pack you can plug the troller into a battery (12volt) is that true.  Just checking with someone who might know.
Yes pocono, it works with both 12 volt and the double AA batteries, I run my Troller with a 7 ah 12 volt battery ! You can get harness from Marcum or you can get an adapter harness with pigtails from radio shack or most any electronics store ! I did swap out the 2 amp fuse for a 3 amp fuse and haven't had any trouble with it popping since !

Offline WyoIceFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:26 PM »
Are these comments right about the Showdown ...

If a fish shows up above your jig on the readout it is coming down to get the bait .....
If a fish shows up at your jig level on the readout it is going down to get the bait.....
If a fish shows up below your jig on the readout ----- it is probably coming flat across to the jig.... or maybe slightly up ......
If a fish shows up on the bottom --- It is entering low on the outside of the transducer cone --- and may not come to the jig....

I try to use where the fish shows up -- to adjust the depth I wish to fish......
Is there anything else the readout tells me that I might be missing?

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:50 AM »
So the performance pack does not include the hardware to run it in 12v? or am I missing something?

Offline Monadnock Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't just throw it in the first hole you see!!!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2011, 01:20 PM »
So the performance pack does not include the hardware to run it in 12v? or am I missing something?

Yes it has everything you need to run 12v.....The only thing you have to do is buy the bat...then just plug it in.......

I will live my life with the cards i have been dealt.When that final day comes that I'm to weak to grin. I will push the dealer all my chips  cause its all or nothing and I'm all in ...

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2011, 02:03 PM »
if you go on marcums sight you can get the battery cable off any showdown and it will work on the troller for 10.00 and you can build your own box for alot less then 50.00 plus 25 and up for a battery. 

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:14 PM »
Just got mine today, with the pack, looks just the right size for what i need, the 12V battery, where do you guys get it? just a generic type?

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:30 PM »
I am considering adding a Troller also.  I'm looking for ideas for a home engineered alternative to spending $50 on their performance pack. I already took my Showdown out of its case and mounted in a blue Genz box with a holder for my iPhone. I was hoping to do something similar with a Troller for guests.
Thanks, Matt

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:22 AM »
So the Troller is $200, Performance Pack is $50, Battery is $10-20.  Seems like a big money pit.  Why not just buy an x67c, or HB Ice 35? 

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 22, 2011, 01:22 PM »
I dunno, maybe because it fits in a pocket, runs on AA's, the pack is for food and beer storage.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 22, 2011, 01:26 PM »
So the Troller is $200, Performance Pack is $50, Battery is $10-20.  Seems like a big money pit.  Why not just buy an x67c, or HB Ice 35?
Think outside the box. I did and made up some base mounts and others have enjoyed them. A 12v 3amp alarm system battery works great. A couple bucks at radio shack for the connector.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline jakedrew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 22, 2011, 04:47 PM »
^ nice set up.

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 23, 2011, 03:53 AM »
Picking up mine with power pack tuesday... ;D

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:30 AM »
Looks like a very good choice indeed! :o Anyone tried attaching the unit to your sleeve. Also, how about a float on the ducer?
I made up a leg mount last year. I liked the base mount better so i only used it once. The float works good. It only takes half of a float as the xducer is smaller. With my mount i hang the cord to the left of the mount in the open space. The rubber stopper keeps it in place. This unit does a great job and with a base mount it is very efficent. A small 12v 3amp battery works well. Couple pieces of velcro keep it in place. Radio shack plug for a couple bucks gets you powered up. Battery is used in alarm backup.

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:36 AM »
Hay Bee, what is a alarm back up?  Does it have a alarm on it?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:09 AM »
The 3amp battery is used in alarm systems as a back up power supply. Can be bought in many places and the same charger charges it.

Offline reddiwhip

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Rob
« Reply #48 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:52 PM »
Hey guys, just got my troller last week.  Had it out on the ice for the first time and it works pretty smooth.   Since I'm a troller Rookie, what tips can some of you veterans throw my way? 

How can you read structure with the troller?  What does structure read like?
Ice mode or no ice mode?  Does it really matter? 
Sensitivity setting?  Recommendations?  I am getting a lot of excess lines on the grid when the sensitivity is set between 15-25.  Should i filter these out by lowering the sensitivity  to a 10 or less so that I can only see my jig?
How can you read drop off zones with the troller? 

Any tips would be a big help. 
Why can't I just go to work and think that I've been fishing all day?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 20, 2012, 09:37 AM »
Your sensativity is to high. Shallow set it lower. Larger jigs set it lower. 8-18 area. Get a base mount and a case to put it in. Hook up a 12v. batt. Look for a security backup or something like that. 3 amp will do.

Offline smallmouthman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish fear me.
« Reply #50 on: Jan 20, 2012, 02:53 PM »
Glensoutdoors.com has the Showdown Troller with the performance pack for 219.95.

Offline Rif_Raf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:10 PM »
got a shown troller from cabelas,  when I took it out i noticed some manufacturing flaws, (ruff edge on transducer, cracked plastic near the lanyard hole, from over thightening when made and, and a lot of dirt in between the display)  I was pretty discourged until I called cabelas they have sent me a new one and told me to use this one until the new one gets here.  Seems like if I went through Marcum I would have had to pay to send it to them.  Anyway another kudos for Cabelas.  I took it out this weekend and I have a couple of questions.  1). Is the transducer suppose to make a clicking noise? if i was near the water surface you could hear it arcing and making a loud poping.  The poping would sometimes disapper but if I moved the ducer it would start agian.; 2). what would weeds look like on the display? i have seen other ask this but cant find any answers.   I like I loke the unit and it seems easy to use, disappointed with the quality control at Marcum.  Hopefully the next one will be better.  I did mark a fish but  couldn't get it to bite,  but that's operator error.  Thanks for the help.

Offline magnumdeke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Ya it should make a clicking sound that is the sonar pulse that it reads, mine gets goofy and wont let me access any adjustments, kinda wierd

Offline Rif_Raf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 30, 2012, 06:17 PM »
thanks,  How about my question about structure and weeds.  How do they mark on the display?  By the way got my new unit from cabelas today and it was in great shape with no visible manufacturing flaws.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2012, 09:50 AM »
Hate to say but thats why i sold my showdown unit. Just to hard trying to read shades of grey to try to tell weeds from other stuff down there. The showdown is the bottom of the barrell in ice machines but will still help you catch fish. JMO.

Offline Rif_Raf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:07 AM »
That's for the input. I guess  the answer is.... For the most part weeds don't grow out of rock beds so if the bottom is rock ( thick black bars) little to no weeds, and if it's shady there might be weeds?  Guess I have to go to a weedy area that I know of and see how it marks.

Offline Booppr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:41 PM »
I took my brand new showdown 5.6 out over the weekend Andi was using it on a sandy/silty bottom for most of my fishing (looking for perch). The. I moved over to where some weeds were and was getting a reading of like 6 feet deep but there was a lot of black and grey lines between 6 and about 2 feet. I though they were submerged trees bacause I new they were there but I never marked any fish in them... I don't know if I would be able to unless I turned my sensitivity waaay down to "see" past the twigs but it's my first time using it and I loved every second of it. I was using an open water fish finder with a 12v 9ah battery and it is such a difference that I'm thinking about just giving that other setup to a friend.

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:49 PM »
Would you recommend this unit for someone who fishes 6-8 fow mostly

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:34 PM »
Took my troller back today. For the money I decided that there was more bang for the buck, at least for me.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:56 AM »
so my lowrance x67 went down and have to send back to lowrance for them to ck it out and send me a new one so that is done probably for the rest of the ice season.  so i have my trusty troller that i actually just set in my lowrance soft pack and used sunday.  i was going to buy the 12v whip for it from marcum but got on ebay and looked around for it and found the performance pack for 30.00 with free shipping.  So i now have a performance pack at a great price.  i figure i can use my lowrance battery for now but im pretty stoked about getting it.  First time i fished with my troller this year was sunday.  I forgot how much fun and easy to use it is.  missed my lowrance dont get me wrong but the trusty troller did everything you could ask for.  my buddy asked if i wanted to use his vex fl12 for time being.  I asked him why?  im covered for the rest of the year.   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.