Author Topic: Honda "BIG RED" 3 Wheeler opinions ???  (Read 12827 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Honda "BIG RED" 3 Wheeler opinions ???
« on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:50 PM »
I'm looking for a vehicle to tow my gear and found a Honda "Big Red" 3 Wheeler advertised for $900.   This will be the first ATV I have owned and I want it to be able to carry my buddy and I, Plus tow a Jet sled with gear.  Questiions: (1) Will this vehicle do the job??  (2) Would we be better off with a 4 Wheeler with 4WD??  (3) Are there any steering problems with the Big Red because of only one front wheel (on ice or in snow)??  Anybody out there own one and use it for ice fishing????   

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Honda "BIG RED" 3 Wheeler opinions ???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:56 PM »
4 wheeler or snowmobile
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:57 PM »
They work ok but not in deep snow. The front tire is wide so it floats on snow pretty well and a set of tire chains would help.  I had one as a kid.  i think $900 is a little steep though.  Here were I live I see them all the time for $400-$600. A 4x4 atv is the way to go if you get a lot of snow.

Offline spearingMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2011, 12:22 AM »
Both have there advantages the 4 wheeler will go through more but the 3 wheeler will be alot easier to get get out if you get stuck in snow or slush compared to the 3 wheeler.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:51 AM »
it wont get as stuck as my 500x2 sportsman. ive seen a big wide ski mounted to the front wheel of those before and they are way easier to dig out of deep snow

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:52 AM »
If you put 2 people on a 3 Wheeler your front tire will not be a steering wheel any more. Get a 4wheeler and some Tire chains even if it is a 2X4.
<===Lefty===

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:54 AM »
4x4 is the only way to go.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:55 AM »
My buddy has one. Its a light machine man, so the towing power is minimal. We had chains on it and it worked for us but there wasnt much snow at all. When I sat on the back, the machine squated pretty bad with us both on it and thats bad for the suspension.
I would consider a 4x4 or a sled. $1500-$2500 for a used atv is decent.

I bought a 2010 Honda FourTrax Rancher 420cc last november and I love it. Its a midsize machine but again, I can tow just about anything but a second rider makes the machine squat to much and now I have to put a couple hundred dollars in the rear suspension to fix it.

My buddy however is 6'5 and 350lbs with his gear on........I should have known better!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2011, 08:06 AM »
I had one for years once you get in more than 8 inches of snow it don't go.
Vbar chains and a dude on the back will help but if the snow is up to the frame forget it.
Once the ice is thick enough for an atv more than likely you will have snow.
A sled is the best slush wont stop them and the larger surface to ice makes them less prone to go through.
4X4 wheeler are good with chains in the rear but allot of slush or snow up to the frame it's over.
Cheap touring 440 slead is the way to go
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2011, 08:14 AM »
Take the time to look around and be willing to travel to find deals, it pays off ! I found the Polaris wheeler with a plow and rear seat/trunk in Maine for $950 and the Ski Doo GT 580 with 937 miles on it on the NH/Mass border for $1000. the deals are out there if you look hard enough, only wish I had some ice to run em on !  :'( ;D

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:00 PM »
I had a Honda 125 3 wheeler, would not steer in any snow or ice.
If you like sliding in an uncontrolled straight line, its lots of fun  ;D
Get bit!

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Go with a 4wheeler with 4X4 it will be a lot more stable. I used to own a 3wheeler and would tip it constantly.

Offline tipup7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:05 PM »
4X4........enough said ;D

T.S.G.!!!!!

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:05 PM »
Very DANGEROUS!

Especially if your doubling someone. Try to pick up a 4 wheeler.
Was going to say that, they dont make them for a reason anymore same with lawn darts.

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:54 PM »
I had old big red 300, I loved that thing floated on the snow. A lot of people use them here in Michigan. They are not dangerous you just have to know how to ride them.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Do not wast your time or money on a three wheeler If all ice it will not steer if snow is
over four inches stuck.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2011, 08:50 PM »
Well, I guess that settles the matter.....time to start looking for a 4x4 at a good price.   Anybody know of a good one for sale.....trying to stay at about $1000  (I know, I know).

Offline Sixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:03 PM »
I had a little 50cc Honda 3 wheeler growing up, and anytime ice or snow came it would move, but the steering did not work. No matter which way you turned the front wheel, it just slid in a straight line. Fun for spinning in circles though (when the wheel was cranked all the way) @)
"Of course our rods are short, it's freezing out here!"

Offline Soupy944

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I had a little 50cc Honda 3 wheeler growing up, and anytime ice or snow came it would move, but the steering did not work. No matter which way you turned the front wheel, it just slid in a straight line. Fun for spinning in circles though (when the wheel was cranked all the way) @)
if the steering didnt work, how did you achieve oversteer?

Offline jurrensb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:42 PM »
Had a 250 big red 3 wheeler growing up.  Loved that thing.  Only bad part about it is that it was so tipsy that the axles eventually got stripped because every time you go around a corner you go up on the one wheel putting a sideways torque on the wheel so over time it slowly starts to wear away and eventually it got so stripped out that it not longer worked.

The other bad part (and the biggest for ice fishing) was that it struggled A LOT in mud.  A buddy of mine had a four wheeler and those narrower tires seemed to cut through the mud a lot better compared to the 3 wheeler that has a big plow for a front wheel.  I can only assume that it would have similar results in the snow.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:27 AM »
Personally, I find that if I am going to have one ice fishing vehicle, I want it to be a sled. Here in NH we have some lakes that do not allow wheeled vehicles at all. Plus, if there is a lot of snow or god forbid slush, 4 wheelers are out of luck. And if there is too little snow to use the sled, it's an easy walk. But that's just my opinion.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:31 AM »
Get a 4 wheeler.  The 3s are junk compaired to the 4 wheelers. Save your money and get a 4,and you will not be sorry.  Jerry

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:56 AM »
with little snow on the ice it will haul all your gear.i see honda 3 wheelers all over the lakes here in michigan.my 200s would be out there but it never wants to run in the winter prolly have to jet mine.if people ride lawn mowers out there a 3 wheeler will work in the right conditions.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2011, 09:28 AM »
steering issues  isnt much of a concern on a big flat lake. tipping over forward at slow speeds pulling gear isnt an issue, ski mountains used to run them for rescue work so they can be used within reason, dont the big red three wheelers have the added benefit of floating. my 500x2 unloaded will sink like a rock at close to 1000 pounds

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2011, 09:36 AM »
steering issues  isnt much of a concern on a big flat lake. tipping over forward at slow speeds pulling gear isnt an issue, ski mountains used to run them for rescue work so they can be used within reason, dont the big red three wheelers have the added benefit of floating. my 500x2 unloaded will sink like a rock at close to 1000 pounds
my 200s floats with the baloonies filled all the way with air but the front dives down and is a little tipsy in deep water.found this out trying to cross my pond.haha

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:25 AM »
Big reds are great machines but they're not great for someone that isn't used to riding one.  In terms of value, if it's in good shape 900 could be a deal as they're well made, great motors and they don't make them anymore (thank fed govt).  I definitley wouldn't recommend double riding on a 3wheeler, even for experienced riders. 

Find a 4x4.  If you're not familiar with quads or how they work I would recommend a honda or suzuki of any vintage.  Anything newer other than chinese will be great, but they're pricey. 

I'd love ot find one of the old honda trx300 4x4s but anybody that has them isn't selling them....for a reason. 

Also, keep in mind most quads are not rated to have 2 people on them!!  That being said, if you're an experienced rider with a decent sized quad there is no problem throwing another 200# guy on the back, especially for just tooking across a frozen lake at moderate speeds.  IF the snow is really deep, with two people plus sled plus gear, you're going to want 400cc minimum, IMO.  Check out the new suzuki king quads, they're the balls.  I would also suggest one with a selectable front locking diff, but that's just me.

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2011, 02:22 PM »
had a big red for many years, used it around the house and ice fishing, also brought it up to maine for hunting. the above reasons were my concerns also but it never failed me, wish lists are nice but sometimes you have to go with what the wallet says. 900 sounds high though.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2011, 05:35 PM »
I have a four wheel drive four wheeler, with chains it goes through most anything.  Mine is pretty old, if I had a newer one i'd invest in those track things you put on in place of wheels.  They look pretty awesome, as wide as the wheel base would be, i don't know that much would stop them.

surflizard

« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2011, 09:57 AM »
You ain't just whistling Dixie there Rick ! >:D :roflmao:

rickl1968

« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2011, 09:58 AM »
You ain't just whistling Dixie there Rick ! >:D :roflmao:

My back hurts just looking at that......... :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.