Author Topic: Automatic Fisherman vs Jawjacker  (Read 29856 times)

Offline Stihl21

• IceShanty Rookie
Automatic Fisherman vs Jawjacker
« on: Nov 13, 2011, 03:14 PM »
Looking to buy one of these - have read quite a bit about the Automatic Fisherman and it seems to work fairly well.  Was at Sportsmans Warehouse and noticed a new type called the Jawjacker.  Wondering what people think about these.  Not exactly sure when they came out so on ice reviews might not be available yet.  Only potential problem I can see is possibly the trigger mechanism freezing over?  That and having to throw it out of the way after taking the rod out.

http://www.jawjackerfishing.com/

surflizard

Re: Automatic Fisherman vs Jawjacker
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Welcome to the shanty Stihl21, Glad to have ya aboard ! I like the Price on the Jacker versus the AF, less then half ! this is the first time that I've seen this system, I'll have to check it out more, it does seen to have a lot of Plastic parts and I wonder how they hold up in the cold ? thanks for posting it

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Do anyone of you guys use this sort of system for pike?
Tight lines and safe fishing.

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:37 PM »
I have the AF that I use for LakeTrout, they have a video on the AF site of a 40 some odd Pike caught on the AF !

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:51 PM »
I use the AF for splake and really like it. I took a look at this product and it seemed interesting but there set up seems like there is a lot more to it then with the AF. One thing I also like about the AF, is that when you get a bite and the rod sets, the block falls and makes a bang.

Offline Stihl21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:12 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions!  We are starting to get fishable ice in the higher elevations so I got the bug to head to the store and pick up some things.  After taking a look at the jawjacker a little more closely I think that I will have to agree that the auto fisherman is the way to go being tried and true.  Thank you again and I am definitely glad to be here - started ice fishing just mid last season so I am really learning a lot from everyone on the site.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:32 PM »
I like the idea of that loop of line for the set/release, on the rod tip brace to save wear & tear on the top guide. The plastic is difficult to obtain the finish of oak, which stands up to the rigors of winter and what we do with/to it.
 Four of these (similar) and a jig rod keeps me fed and happy.  :thumbsup:

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:35 PM »
I agree about the loop. The AF is murder on the rod tips. I liked the adjustments for different rod lengths. It does look to have a more complicated release system and the warning about getting it wet is something to consider since it sits right over the hole. I'm going to put a loop end on one of my rods for use with my AF.
I'd probably try one of these at that price.
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:37 PM »
I have both of these. My AF is always my go to piece. The jawjacker has failed me one to many times especially in colder weather so I'm sticking with my AF's from here on!

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2011, 06:28 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  for the AF! Not sold on the Jawjacker yet due to all the plastic, but the rod tip loop is a great idea, in my opinion. The price is also more attractive.
  I don't know about Jawjackers customer service, but I can vouch for Kerry at Automatic Fisherman- he has gone over and above to help me out with a broken rod that I bought at last years Syracuse Ice Show. I broke it on a very large Lake Trout back in April (still landed it though!), and just wrote it off. A few weeks ago I came across it in my gear and I looked into a warranty on AF's web site. Seems they warranty their stuff for a year, I emailed Kerry, and he called me up and said that shouldn't have happened (34" med/heavy rod), and he would FEDEX a replacement right out, plus a return label for the busted rod. That is the way companies should do business, in my opinion!
    Thanks Kerry! I will be buying more of your gear!

BIGJim223

Offline ugotmcmahonhere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2011, 09:50 PM »
I was considering getting either an AF or a slammer rig from slamco.  Have any of you AF users used a slammer rig?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:24 AM »
what do you guys pay for your AF's? I know here in Ontario they are close to the same price as the jaw Jacker, but i keep seeing comments on how much more expensive they are?

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:55 AM »
Ditto on Kerry' service, I bombarded him with questions before dropping the 69 bucks for the unit and he patiantly answered every question I had for him ! :thumbsup:

Offline Stihl21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2011, 01:48 PM »
I have to agree with Kerry being a really nice guy.  I actually called him yesterday with a couple questions and it turned into a 20 min phone call talking about random things about fishing - that was after he fully answered my questions!!

Icejunky - I think most local stores sell the combo pack with a rod, reel, and ice stopper included so it ends up being almost double the price of just the base.  But the price of base only does compare to the jawjacker.

Offline ak-71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2011, 01:56 PM »
Sorry, I just don't get it... 70$ for the base and 70$ more for the combo?  :o
Seems like there are plenty designs on the web and I have a spare spool  ::).
Why not spend 20$ for a rod and have fun building one - it's not a rocket science...

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2011, 02:00 PM »
The AF's in my area do not come with a rod/reel combo and run from $29 to $39

Offline ak-71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2011, 02:39 PM »
fishing hole shows 50$ for the base. Way overpriced IMHO

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2011, 02:05 PM »
I've used the AF successfully for crappie.  Here in IL, the base alone usually sells for around $39. Problem is, they sell out fast.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Matt thanks for the info

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Stihl21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2011, 01:25 PM »
Matt,
Thank you for taking the time to cover some of the questions/concerns that I had regarding the jawjacker.  After watching the YouTube videos I actually ended up picking up both the automatic fisherman and the jawjacker.  Figured it will be nice to compare the two, as well as having an extra if needed.

Offline SteelFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2011, 01:24 AM »
I just bought 4 Jawjackers and I am excited to get out and use them. I first saw them two years ago when Matt was testing the prototypes at Henrys Lake in Idaho and let me tell you they work. I have not seen the AF but it sounds like a good product too.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:12 AM »
Im going to give one of these a try. (order placed this morning). I like the adjustability of being able to move it back for longer rods, this cant be done on the AF (if i remember correctly)

Offline upstate bass2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:27 PM »
Just build one, mine cost next to nothing to build.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2011, 04:30 PM »
Got mine in the mail today...  I like what i see from it so far, but it is very light and I wonnder how well it will hold up to abuse. but the mechanism is sound and not as hard on the rods as my AF

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2011, 05:02 PM »
That looks pretty cool  :o. Love my auto fish though, I am interested to hear how it holds up...keep us posted and good luck !
👮👮👮

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Quick video I shot today of the Jaw Jacker and Automatic fisherman.. excuse the quality as i was trsting out my new GoPro camera but my editing software was not up to snuff and killed the quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f15L821UKhE

Offline Stihl21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Very cool video - it's always fun playing with the new toys!!  I got my automatic fisherman from Fleet Farm a few days ago so I'm pretty excited to try it and the jawjacker on the ice.  Hoping within the next few days if the plans work out.

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Cool video Icejunky, thanks for posting that.
👮👮👮

Offline Tightlines01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with the HT ice rigger?  It looks similar but less expensive.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2011, 11:04 AM »
I have bunch of experience with the ice rigger. It doesn't have the hooks set the others have. It's more like a tip up. Doesn't work as well in real cold weather do to freeze ups. Made some hole covers but have not played yet do to work. I have an  auto fisherman and it works and I bought the slammer kits two years ago and they work but are large to haul around. All things considered I like the rigger as I can jig a fish into biting after they trip if there still around. I use for lake trout and walleye the most.

If you go to In-fisherman video they have riggers in use and explain pretty well.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.