The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Real Time sonar on fishfinder  (Read 5414 times)

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
Real Time sonar on fishfinder
« on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:26 AM »
Has anyone out there had any experience using a fishfinder with the real time sonar.
I was looking at one of the Garmin LCD models and from what I can understand you can see the
fish in real time mode when they enter the transducer and you can also see your jig.
This unit also has a flasher mode.  How will this work for Ice fishing?

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Real Time sonar on fishfinder
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2011, 10:19 AM »
I believe that they are all real time. Vexilar, Marcum and so on show ''real time"". These and others are designed soley for ice fishing and work great. Simple to use and can increase your catch.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2011, 01:24 PM »
Thanks for replying.
I am talking about the LCD fish finder not just the Flasher style like the Vexilar or Marcum.
I know that they have a split screen on some of them that is supposed to be real time.
The particular model I was looking at can also be turned to a flasher screen also.
I'm just not sure how they would work for icefishing.

Offline hooker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2011, 05:21 PM »
thats correct they are all real-time, what good would it do to mark where fish once were, i have a lowrance x67c that switches from the fishfinder screen to flasher and has worked very well. once you get familiar with the flashers they are more precise than the regular fishfinder mode. just my 2 cents

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:48 PM »
This might be worth checking out!  Marcum's new LCD flasher "LX-7". Quite a pricey penny though.
 http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=4md6a205g#/watch?v=oDsu0kNUT54

Offline Shelberian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2011, 10:02 PM »
I got a Marcum Showdown late last ice season and only had the chance to use it twice. However, both times I used it went well. I didn't catch the most or the biggest fish but it did show me fish were there and it is for sure "real time". You can see your jig in relation to the bottom and also see fish follow/approach your jig. Pretty cool and quite a change from just sitting over the hole and wondering if there are any fish around.
My lifelong quest is to find out if a 20 lb. walleye will fit through a ten inch hole.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2011, 10:07 PM »
Bought a new Marcum flasher last year and it's  real time. A bit more difficult to learn to use than the ShowDown but probably more accurate. ShowDown does work well. I spent some time with a fella on Whitefish Lake that was using one and it is VERY user friendly. Watched a mac come in, saw it hit the jig, and he reeled him up.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2011, 07:33 AM »
I think the fishfinder would work if you could set the transducer up right my hummingbird on my boat will show me my jig and fish but i'm fishing over the side and the transducers in the back so i think if you played with it you could use it you may have to drill a seperate hole for your transducer. I still don't think its as sensitive as my vexilar though
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2011, 09:42 AM »
The Humminbird in my friends boat has the real time sonar (RTS) window on the side.
You read just as you would a flasher. What I notice is, if you watch the RTS, you will see
fish on that narrow  RTS window, 10-15 seconds before it shows on the LCD.
Get bit!

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2011, 05:00 PM »
I have been useing a lowrence 350a for years and it works great. the only trouble is if it is way below 0 it fogs up for a while. you can see your jig and fish coming in and at what depth. just my thoughts. we use a lot of lcd finders here in Wy.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2011, 05:45 PM »
et101 have had  flashers for years and lcd units the lcds work just fine i have a fl18 hippno wheel and a 67c lowrance has both a spinning wheel and a graph ,3 years running  , and the hds5 dosen't seem to have any trouble either ,and they are on real time and they have a memory

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:38 AM »
lorance m 68 c get one
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2011, 05:22 PM »
lorance m 68 c get one
Lowrance stopped making Lm series 2 years ago ,my bud snags got 1 and it works great though

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Ive been using a cheap lcd boat fishfinder for years,works just as well as anything Ive seen.

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:29 PM »
^^ Me too^^

70$$ humminbird  @)
Get bit!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2011, 10:20 AM »
The LCD finders work OK, as long as its not too cold.  As Aaron mentioned, you have to get that transducer set up right...That is usually the #1 issue.  I see Lowrance is now offering an "ice pack" that lets you use just about any Lowrance as a portable unit, AND it includes an ice ducer...In 99% of the cases I have ever seen, its the transducer (and transducer setup) that is the weak link.

Lots of LCD finders have a lag before the "fish" shows on the screen.  Much of this lag is due to computer processing speeds, how long does it take to find the signal, determine just what it is, then show it on the screen.  The more expensive the unit, typically the more computing power it has, hence the shorter display times. (When I added Lowrances Broad Band Sounder to my LCX-112, I was amazed at how much cleaner the signal, and how much faster the unit displayed it.  That is because the BBS unit dedicates a computer strictly to the finding and analyzing of the signal, then the head units computer only needs to dislay it.  The whole thing becomes much faster and displays it clearer.)

If you must convert an LCD finder to on ice use, I would try and get a transducer you can set up to float like a Vexilar, or a stand that will keep it pointing straight down at all times. That is going to be the biggest piece of the puzzle for frustration free use.

If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2011, 12:17 PM »

If you must convert an LCD finder to on ice use, I would try and get a transducer you can set up to float like a Vexilar, or a stand that will keep it pointing straight down at all times. That is going to be the biggest piece of the puzzle for frustration free use.

100% correct, if you do this, you eliminate most of the troubles
I mounted my small cheap Humminbird in a small insulated cooler, and if its really cold, I throw a disposable hand warmer in the bottom. The heat radiates upwards,
keeps the display from slowing and the battery warm  @)
Get bit!

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Tape your transducer to an old tip up,it holds it vertical in the extra hole.My cheapo LCD has no lag,if I turn the sens all the way up I can see my jig in real time AND it doesnt go ballistic like flashers do when you have two of them in the same area.

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2011, 01:29 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. I will check out a few of the models mentioned.
See you on the ice.

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2011, 01:19 PM »
I just ordered a Garmin Echo 200 LCD fishfinder today.  I will let you all know how it works. :)

Offline GonefishingWy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2011, 09:03 PM »
the x67 Lowrance works nice it seems close to real time and shows what has been going on. So, if you look away it show a little of the action that happened. lets you see all the action and you can also use it as a flasher and it is live action. i like mine alot they are also cheaper than most. you can also by the other ducer and use it on the boat in the soft season.

Tinker

« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2011, 03:19 PM »
I run an eagle fish easy 320c (? not real sure the model).  I take it off the boat for the winter and have a little brakcet I hook the transducer to in order for it to hang verticle from the cable.  I have the sonar mounted to a round piece of plywood that fits in a 5 gallon pail with the battery and cables and all.  I generally only fish in a heated shack so temp has never been a problem, and I would say mine is pretty darn real time judging by watching my jig go up and down when I jig.  Can be a wonderful tool some days, but when the fish are looking and not biting it gets really frustrating, "knowing they are there and won't bite!"

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2011, 02:08 PM »
 ;D Well I finally made it out with my new fishfinder. Garmin Echo 200 Dual frequency LCD and am quite pleased.  It took me a while to figure it out being it has dual frequency transducer. I found setting it to 200 (200/77 kHz) instead of 77 made a big difference. I had no problem seeing my flasher & jig from (4) different holes at once.  I played with the flasher portion & the realtime screen and so far I think I like the real time screen best. Not only do you see live action but the history of what has already taken place. Making a transducer holder is the challenge. My first try worked but was a little cumberson so I built a new holder from a tip up base and have yet to try this version yet.  Happy fishing & Merry Christmas.

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:06 PM »
Lowrance stopped making Lm series 2 years ago ,my bud snags got 1 and it works great though
your write they did stop making them but you can still buy them  'but don't'  just got the elite 5 ice machine way better unit with the sd card slot opens up a whole new world of fishing you vex heads better catch up
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:38 PM »
I now have had this out a few times now and I do like it. When it is real cold outside the screen does move very slowly.
After placing the heater near it though it worked fine.  I haven't used it in a shack yet.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:14 PM »
LCD+cold=bad.

Offline RichardD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:47 PM »
The Showdown by Marcum has a built-in heater for the LCD display. It works like a charm even in the coldest and windy days. Just wish my fingers would....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.