Author Topic: Heating for your flip over?  (Read 5512 times)

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heating for your flip over?
« on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:36 PM »
Just wondering what everyone is using to heat their flip over? I purchased a Frabill Predator at the end of last year and used it once. I would like to heat it up a little bit so that I can take the wife and kids out with this year. What is everyone using and do you mainly have the heat source in front of you or behind you? My thought was to get a propane stand and mount it to the back corner of the shack to hold a tank that will be connected to a 14,000 BTU heater/cooker.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Heating for your flip over?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:47 PM »
the line of buddy heaters has been the best option i have found. I use the little buddy and it throws off more then enough heat. I place the heat source in front of me, you dont want it anywhere near the plastic sled portion of your shelter. Keeping it in front also helps keep your hole clear, and you can see it at all times and wont have to worry about knocking it

I dont know about mounting a heater to your portable, sounds risky

Offline MRFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hurry Up ICE!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:49 PM »
I agree with the mr heaters they seem to be the best from what I can tell. I had a little sun flower one but it never seemed to warm the tent up enough.

Offline jurrensb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:49 PM »
I'm sure everyone on here will agree with me about a buddy heater.  Easy to use, compact, rugged.  You can get the "portable" buddy heater on sale for about $70.  Runs off of 1 lb bottles (last about 2-3 hours on full) or you can get a tank conversion kit.  I have one in my quick flip and I run it on low and I usually have to keep the vents open or turn it off.  Does an amazing job.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:58 PM »
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Okay Bart, what are you cooking up there?  Almost looks like fries in something?

Offline jurrensb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:00 PM »
Chicken Alfredo?
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:08 PM »
Just reheating Mac & Cheese, it is hot and good on the ice.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:15 PM »
I was at Fleet Farm looking around today and was looking at the Big Buddy Heater. I am guessing by all your responses that it would be over kill to get that one.

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2011, 11:34 PM »
I was at Fleet Farm looking around today and was looking at the Big Buddy Heater. I am guessing by all your responses that it would be over kill to get that one.

Depends on how cold of weather you fish in. Other than the fact that it is bigger and heavier to haul around, there is no such thing as overkill - it is nice to be prepared for harsh conditions.

I have both the regular buddy and the big buddy. I take the smaller sized buddy 9 out of 10 times. Only break out the big buddy when it is below about 10 degrees F. I am glad that I have both of them, but if I only had one, it would be the big one.

Offline tokr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2011, 12:21 AM »
I have used a Mr Heater Big Buddy for about 4 years now. I wouldnt recommend anything else or back to the sunflower. The sunflower style heaters blast out the heat but they are noisy and the smell gives me a headache. The Big Buddy heats my Clam Command post very nicely. I live in Manitoba Canada and have fish in -30 F with a 20 MPH wind (Wind chill of -51 F) and was comfortable. Another advantage to the Big Buddy is that you have 3 heat settings, on really cold days you can run it full blast.

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:16 AM »
Ditto on the Big buddy, the fan option is the Cats meow for heating up the digits after setting tip ups ! I run mine off a 5 gallon tank with a filter and a quick disconnect hose set up from Mr heater, I get 4 Full day missions out of this set up with out the weight and bulk of a 20 lb tank !

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:32 AM »
Ditto on the Big buddy, the fan option is the Cats meow for heating up the digits after setting tip ups ! I run mine off a 5 gallon tank with a filter and a quick disconnect hose set up from Mr heater, I get 4 Full day missions out of this set up with out the weight and bulk of a 20 lb tank !

I may be wrong but isn't the 5 gallon tank the same as a 20 lb tank? I was thinking of doing the same with whatever heater I got. I am planning on taking the 5 gallon tank on a stand mounted to the back corner of my shack then running a hose to the heater. I was thinking about getting a clam center console and fastening it into the shack so it doesn't move then mounting a heater to that but I think I am leaning towards the Mr. Heater big buddy now that I can run off this 5 gallon tank.

surflizard

« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:47 AM »
The 5 Lber is half the size of a 20 Lber ! Here is a photo for size reference !

I like the Big buddy in front of me, The blower fan circulates the the air better and less worry of it burning anything ! I put the tank outside and run the hose under the skirt, saves a little room and eliminates tripping over it ! I set it on a piece of 2" rigid foam, it helps the batteries for the fan last longer and keeps the heater out of the snow !

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2011, 08:18 AM »
The Buddy heaters are all you'll need, especially if you are bringing younger kids.....you won't be out in -20 degree weather anyways.  Just always bring a couple of back up tanks.  One usually lasts all day, but when you need it most is when you'll miss it most.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2011, 12:04 PM »
I may be wrong but isn't the 5 gallon tank the same as a 20 lb tank? I was thinking of doing the same with whatever heater I got. I am planning on taking the 5 gallon tank on a stand mounted to the back corner of my shack then running a hose to the heater. I was thinking about getting a clam center console and fastening it into the shack so it doesn't move then mounting a heater to that but I think I am leaning towards the Mr. Heater big buddy now that I can run off this 5 gallon tank.
I think he meant to say 5 pound tank.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Bart, I like your buddy heater. Two questions about your heater, what did you use to fabricate your pilot cover and the food warming rack ?

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Mine is set up like Barts.  Can't remember where the grate came from but think it was modified from something in the BBQ dept.. I carry a small sauce pan and heat up soups also.  The pilot light cover I have also was from one of the members and I believe if you do a search on the forums it should come up with instructions.  Basically its stainless, holes drilled on top and riveted in front of the pilot light.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:20 PM »
Bart, I like your buddy heater. Two questions about your heater, what did you use to fabricate your pilot cover and the food warming rack ?

I made the pilot guard out of a piece of aluminum flashing. It's best to work out a pattern with paper, fold it and make sure it fits perfectly. The aluminum is sarting to deterior from the flame. There maybe a better material, but is easy to make every few years.
The grill was made of another burner guard, ordered it from MrHeater for $11 grill and shipping. It gives it a more clean finish the paint roller screen.
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2011, 06:59 PM »
bart, thanks for the information that's one slick heater.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2011, 07:37 PM »
the line of buddy heaters has been the best option i have found. I use the little buddy and it throws off more then enough heat. I place the heat source in front of me, you dont want it anywhere near the plastic sled portion of your shelter. Keeping it in front also helps keep your hole clear, and you can see it at all times and wont have to worry about knocking it

I dont know about mounting a heater to your portable, sounds risky

Did you have a problem getting too close to the sled? I was thinking about building a bench seat and putting my Buddy heater under it so it would warm my legs.
jbird68

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.