New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandypond  (Read 392801 times)

Offline Gill Ripper I

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sandypond
« Reply #1500 on: Feb 11, 2012, 02:26 PM »
Coyote hunting?  ;D Hi trapper heading up north anytime soon?
Ninety percent of fishing is half mental :)

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1501 on: Feb 11, 2012, 02:36 PM »
yes John coyote hunting!  ;D

Offline joshjj2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1502 on: Feb 11, 2012, 02:40 PM »
just got off the pond. bout 4-5 inches of ice. a few iffy spots out deeper. the wind was pretty rediculos. the bite was slow. and a bit chilly out more then normal. i think it was about 5-10 degrees with the wind and all.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1503 on: Feb 11, 2012, 03:38 PM »

i'm  there   now :D

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1504 on: Feb 11, 2012, 04:58 PM »
just got off the pond. bout 4-5 inches of ice. a few iffy spots out deeper. the wind was pretty rediculos. the bite was slow. and a bit chilly out more then normal. i think it was about 5-10 degrees with the wind and all.

uhhhhhh On an ice fishing site posting "it was a bit chilly, the windchill was 5-10 degrees"  will get you  virtually flogged.
5-10 degrees is reason not to complain, the forecast of windchill tomm morning of -10 to -20 is a reason to jump up & down screaming HECK YA!!!

Offline Munson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1505 on: Feb 11, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Spent the day exploring the Sandy Pond area and having a very nice dinner at the Steak House.    There's bad spots out there but the people out there didn't seem to be having any problems moving around freely where they were fishing.    Spoke to a few guys coming off at the steak house and they said 4 to 5 inches of black ice once you're out past the weed line wherever that is.    Got about the same comments from a guy at Green Point, which really looks like a great spot for when it's fully frozen.     Put about 150 miles on the car running up and down Rt 3 today.    Found our way down to Fulton and lake Neathawanta (sp) too.  Nice little lake.    Some guys way out from the big parking lot on Rt.3    One snowmobile seemed to be running people out to where they were fishing. 
  Overall a good day.  Saw a lot, learned alot, had a great dinner while watching the SU game and met some nice folks along the way.
  Thanks for the welcomes !

Offline joshjj2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1506 on: Feb 11, 2012, 07:31 PM »

uhhhhhh On an ice fishing site posting "it was a bit chilly, the windchill was 5-10 degrees"  will get you  virtually flogged.
5-10 degrees is reason not to complain, the forecast of windchill tomm morning of -10 to -20 is a reason to jump up & down screaming HECK YA!!!
hahahahaha well it was almost as if winter had come. lol. wasnt sure if thats what it was or if i was feeling things lol. for a min there thought about bustin out the waiders andtrout stuff. was getting ready for trout season. buuut i cant complain im gettin use of that there new shanty

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1507 on: Feb 11, 2012, 09:10 PM »
hahahahaha well it was almost as if winter had come. lol. wasnt sure if thats what it was or if i was feeling things lol. for a min there thought about bustin out the waiders andtrout stuff. was getting ready for trout season. buuut i cant complain im gettin use of that there new shanty

Bustin out trout gear?  Well when you're good you can catch trout through the ice too.....

Offline joshjj2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1508 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:11 PM »
yeah ik. but when theres nor much of a winter i just throw on the waiders and grab the fly rod. but good news we,may have a glimer of hope down here. i would love to get some trout through the ice though. i necer caught em throgh ice. i love a nice laker on an ul jig rod

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1509 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:25 AM »
B-cons   wind  chill  does   not  make   ice  thicker  ...wind  chill  is  a  effect   ...makes  it  "feel  as"   if   is  not  a  tempture 

Offline OldSoak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1510 on: Feb 12, 2012, 10:16 AM »
Hi all. I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I've been fishing on the lake for trout and salmon for 25+ years, and I usually get on the pond for ice fishing a couple times a year.

Good luck to those who are able to get on the (thin) ice this year!

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #1511 on: Feb 12, 2012, 11:13 AM »
Welcome to the site OldSoak...

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1512 on: Feb 12, 2012, 11:50 AM »
welcome  aboard  old ...  be  sure  you  check  out  myfishfinder.com  too

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1513 on: Feb 12, 2012, 01:11 PM »
B-cons   wind  chill  does   not  make   ice  thicker  ...wind  chill  is  a  effect   ...makes  it  "feel  as"   if   is  not  a  tempture

Thanks professor  ::) :P. I know that, its just nice to have cold again, sore fingers, snotsicle stache, & line guide freeze was a welcome change this morning.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1514 on: Feb 12, 2012, 01:20 PM »
I fished gp this morning.  Decent ice about 6",  BUT ONLY striaght out ie due north of the docks!  Most locked up a bit, but you can't venture any farther than 80 or so yards west of the docks.  Cracks & open water all over the rest of the pond.  It's impossible to get on at the elms, there was NO ONE there.  I took a couple pics will post later. 

Offline lonefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1515 on: Feb 12, 2012, 01:29 PM »
Glad i took your advice and stayed at home this morning. tight lines stay safe :tipup:
you can't rollerskate in a buffalo heard

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #1516 on: Feb 12, 2012, 02:50 PM »
I fished gp this morning.  Decent ice about 6",  BUT ONLY striaght out ie due north of the docks!  Most locked up a bit, but you can't venture any farther than 80 or so yards west of the docks.  Cracks & open water all over the rest of the pond.  It's impossible to get on at the elms, there was NO ONE there.  I took a couple pics will post later.

But how was the bite...?

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1517 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Here's a couple pics as promised. 
However here is the caution, there was a bit of open water and some cracks at GP 120-150yards west of due north from the docks, they were still wet & open this morning, there were too many to count on the rest of the pond.
To give you an idea it stopped snowing at about 10:30-11 this morning, notice the areas of no snow?  They weren't frozen yet, but might be now.  However with 3-6" forecast tonight & tomm & these spots will be invisible/outa sight.  How much ice do you think will form in a few hours & then under snow???????
Simple answer not enough to hold anything or anyone. 
Looking at these pics would you walk out there blind folded?  Then don't go if it's covered in snow.
Again there was NO ONE at the elms, & no one in sight on the main body of the pond (except with 100' of shore, that obvis walked out of homes or camps)

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1518 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:11 PM »
I hate to say it, but looking at the date, & the weather forecast for the next week I'd be surprised if anyone got to fish the main pond anymore this year until you needed a boat.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Postalblues

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1519 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:13 PM »
Fished GP Friday 2/10/12 from 7:30am-3. Set up just past the docks, had four of us running 20 tip-ups and each a jigging rod. We had tip-ups set up for pike and only caught 7 and outta those one keeper 25"er. Few perch so it was a quite boring and the wind was a @#$%^.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1520 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:20 PM »
But how was the bite...?
At least it was  :icefish: :icefish: ??? ??? ??? ???

Still slow for pond standards, I managed 1/2 a bucket of keeper perch 25-30 in 3.5 hours.  It's WEIRD!!! GP & I didn't get a single flatfish, just perch.  I broke off 3 pike right under me, one prob. pushing 28-30.  Since inside & heated the floor was clear & could see right through the ice.

I was on good black ice, but it does have a lot of air bubbles so how long it will last in warm temps is a deff. question.   
So much air in the ice when I was screwing in the anchors for my shanty, the ice kept splitting & breaking up in chunks, causing the anchor to fall out.  Certainly not the best.

I did see more perch than usual with the black parasites too.  Guys around me weren't doing so hot, the perch wanted one thing & one thing only, & as far as I know you can only get it at Salmon River sports, or a pet store but then they wouldn't be certified, & I aint tellin no more  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1521 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:26 PM »
But how was the bite...?

btw someone else was fishing your spot also with a frabill, I fished 40 yards north of there.

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
« Reply #1522 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:08 PM »
Wanted to Info to all  Sandy Pond Perch Team Ice Fishing Derby is cancelled again  The reason is safety issue  Next Year is on first week of Feb 2013 ...

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1523 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Fished the Fishing Museum derby from 7:00 - 2:00... Kept 40 nice perch, through back a bunch of the 7-8" variety and pulled in a 30" Northern. Fell short on three perch entry. Winner was 2lbs 10oz. I pulled 2lbs 2oz. Northern fell short by 1.5".... Real strong morning bite for the yellows that seemed to taper off around noon where I was set up... 4-5" of bubble ice but it was strong. Wheelers were out but not very far... We'll see if the weathermen change the forecast or not, but isn't looking good for next weekend. later...

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1524 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:12 PM »
Oh yeah... did someone fall through in front of the Wigwam yesterday???

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1525 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:33 PM »
Oh yeah... did someone fall through in front of the Wigwam yesterday???
I heard they did, but dkdn't want to spread rumors.   Unfortunately I have personally witnessed at least 1 a yr falling through the last 4 yrs.?  None witnessed this yr. & I'd rather keep it that way, but with these conditions, i dunno

Offline Mexico Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1526 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Tough weekend at the Pond....Just got off the ice at Eddies. Struggled for 40 keepers. Ice was solid & over 5". The wind came up hard as the sun went down.  Fished GP last night till around 10pm and had only a couple keeper crappies...caught some dink gills and perch. Better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
« Reply #1527 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:04 PM »
I can't believe (including the wife) I have not been out on the ice yet.  I'm really hoping for this weekend, but won't go unless I can get to my honey hole. Never seen it it like this, but then again the past 4 years on the pond have been great. :)

Offline Mexico Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1528 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:17 PM »
I can't believe (including the wife) I have not been out on the ice yet.  I'm really hoping for this weekend, but won't go unless I can get to my honey hole. Never seen it it like this, but then again the past 4 years on the pond have been great. :)
I hear you Iceman...trying to come up with some new " Honey Holes". The early  perch catch at GP was pleasantly surprising. After fishing into late November I am waiting to get my " Pond Sand Blasted Prop" back so I can prepare for the early Ice out and getting to my old spots!

Offline Munson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1529 on: Feb 12, 2012, 11:23 PM »
One thing is confirmed for sure.   We love Sandy Pond and the Steak House !
  Had another great day just exploring the area and had another great meal at the Steak House while taking in some of the winter carnival events.
  Found a nice little camp for sale near Blind creek Cove that might get a very close look real soon. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.