Author Topic: Dawg bone tip-up  (Read 5235 times)

Offline zoeconner

• IceShanty Rookie
Dawg bone tip-up
« on: Oct 22, 2011, 09:04 PM »
I bought a couple of these today. These were cheep. I never used tip up's before. What makes one better than others. They all look the same.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Dawg bone tip-up
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2011, 08:11 PM »
what's it look like?

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2011, 09:51 PM »
the working parts look like most tip-ups on the market the body design is different though keep us posted on how they work

Offline flyangler00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2011, 02:17 AM »
the dawg-bone design is new from frabill this year, it works like any other tip-up, the new design just allows it to be stored easier.. most tip-ups on the market are usually frabill.. there are others such as HT and clam corp, but frabill offers pre-lubed shafts that can be taken apart and re-lubed..  i run frabill's pro thermal round tip-ups, they keep the elements out and prevent hole freeze up, but the dawg-bone, and other rectangular base tip-ups are just fine for the budget minded angler.. the wood base models such as the great lakes, classic and bigfoot are a good tip-up for bigger fish such as lake trout, steelhead, big pike and such... they have a bit bigger spool... hope this helps!

may you have tight lines and good times, we'll see you on the water

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:31 AM »
I'm not aware of any tipup that CAN'T be taken apart and re-lubed???  ::)

Offline flyangler00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2011, 03:21 PM »
yeah.. rich, you are right.. the way i had worded that was a little misleading... most tip ups that i've seen can be taken apart, cleaned and re-lubed..  ;D

may you have tight lines and good times, we'll see you on the water

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2011, 10:36 PM »
No problem  ;D  I like the look of the other new Frabill tipup - it has 3 arms that fold up, forget the name of it off the top of my head.  Looks SUPER compact - which is what I'm always looking for.  Have my eyes open for these for sure!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2011, 04:32 PM »

I think it's called the ice spider.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2011, 07:12 PM »
Ever since I got my 2 sets of Indian Hills I've become a tip-up snob. I wont let my friends use theirs. I make them use my extra set.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2011, 11:35 AM »
Ever since I got my 2 sets of Indian Hills I've become a tip-up snob. I wont let my friends use theirs. I make them use my extra set.

As far as im concerened, they are the best out there!!

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2011, 12:04 PM »
It's funny how the midwest guys like the Beaver Dam/HT/Frabill style, and the east coast guys like the IH/Heritage Laker/Jack Trap style.  Regional preferences :-)    I like the Ice Spider design (thank you for the name!) because it will be ULTRA portable and my goal is to pack as light and compact as I can.  Should be a great tipup for that. 

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2011, 12:31 PM »
I saw those Frabill Dawg Bone and Spider Tip Ups at Fleet Farm yesterday. They are super compact and pretty inexpensive, $9 for the Dawg Bone and $13 for the spider. You could probably fit a dozen or more in a 5 gal pail.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2011, 09:41 PM »
Doh!  Gotta get to Fleet Farm!

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:03 AM »
I purshased these Dawgbone tipups last year and loved them.    There ad claims they will work over a ten inch hole which is true but be carful doing that they will get knocked down the hole

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:11 AM »
I bought 3 dawg bones , last year, and didn't get a chance to use them ... mine seemed to be stiff too, so I took them apart and lubed... compact design is what i wanted,, and these are compact..just hope they work ok... kinds skeptical about their function.........we will see... just doesn't seem to be any sort of adjustments like other tip-ups..no spring to adjust spool tension............... ..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.