The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Ice Fishing is not a Crime  (Read 4435 times)

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Fishing is not a Crime
« on: Oct 21, 2011, 07:40 PM »
So who has the stickers on?  And how many people have asked you to explain them?  Every few days I get someone who ask's  me what it's all about. It really surprises them when you do explain it.
Soon enough we will be on the ice. Hopefully a safe year for all.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Fishing is not a Crime
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2011, 07:53 PM »
Hahaha if you ask my daughter she'd say it's a crime! She was just giving me heck about it in the car tonight!

My license plate is an icefishing theme...people think I'm an Irish step dancer when they see the word jig lol.
Yeah, I do a lot of explaining too lol.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2011, 10:25 PM »
I have one on my car and have to explain it to people all the time.  ;D

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2011, 10:39 PM »
im an avid ice fisherman and have no idea whats going on.... yall sneaking into privet ponds? lol

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2011, 06:40 AM »
Sure would like to know where to get a couple ?  :whistle:

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:54 AM »
Came into work smiling cuz there was frost on the windshield with temps in the 30s, wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt.  People think I'm insane, I always just say "hell I like standing on a frozen pond in sub freezing temps for hours on end watching for a flag to go up and you think wearing shorts makes me crazy?"   Always get the strange looks and questions when people ask what the Shanty sticker is.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:03 AM »
im an avid ice fisherman and have no idea whats going on.... yall sneaking into privet ponds? lol
yep me too...what's the deal? 
Tight lines

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2011, 03:07 PM »
What is this thread about?

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:09 PM »
The sticker reads "Ice fishing is not a crime !", Cool lookin sticker Too !!

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:33 PM »
i understand that surf... but where is the wit in that? i have heard of the "skateboarding is not a crime" stickers because so many urban cities ban them in parking lots,on sidewalks,obviously the road and any other public areas... so basically,the kids are stuck in their driveways or they get fined.. so the stickers were made to "de-criminalize" the simple act of riding a skateboarding for kids..  so either im thick as heck and cant grasp this ice fishing one,or are there are certain lakes or rivers that only let open water fisherman enjoy it..? i dunno,i love ice stickers for my gear sled,but if as many people ask about em as yall are saying im really gunna look stupid when i say... uh... i dunno?!? LMAO

PS the "large" custom jigs and spins decal is like the size of a shoe box! its freaking huge,gunna have to stick that to my 6 gal bucket i think.

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Jay Fat City had some printed up and was selling them last year for a few bucks each. Last year there were a few issues with lake front property owners thinking they owned the lake and were giving our fellow  ice fishing people a hard time. Not sure where he is I think around the Medford area or if he has anymore.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2011, 03:58 AM »
Last year there were a few issues with lake front property owners thinking they owned the lake and were giving our fellow  ice fishing people a hard time.

That was us and still is. We didn't do bumper stickers, that's another struggle somewhere.
The issue is still in several courts. Lawyers everywhere. Now the lakefront owners have an attorney counter suing the Town which has an attorney suing them for trying to close the access.  The other pro-access attorney we have (an ice fisherman) has filed a separate law suit from the Town. He works for the Town on the side and his involvement is being called a conflict of interest by the lakefront owners. The issue is at a boil and we've run out of attorney's.  We are going to lose this access in my opinion.  The lakefront owners have too much attorney money. If I were to have some bumper stickers or T-shirts made, it would say something a bit harsher than "Ice fishing is not a crime". Bumper stickers, signs, and letters to the editor all garner public support. We've got the full support of the people at this point, but only lawyers and lawsuits will make a difference now.   
I now drop this topic completely, cause last year I got in trouble w/ the mods after a thread on here about the access issue got out of control.               

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2011, 06:46 AM »
95% of lakefront property is owned by out of staters in a lot of places and the property gets posted, accesses get blocked, they call the police if you park on their road and some even stoop to vehicle Vandalism !! Look at it this way Spaded, this season you go out to a lake where you've grown up fishing your whole life, now there is posted signs and the place where you always parked is chained off !! Your mildly POed, but you park close by and hit the ice anyways ! A short time later a cop and a tow truck show up and if you can't get there fast enough, its Bye Bye truck ! Then to get the truck back you have to pay the jacked up towing fee and then pay some more money to get the truck out of the impound lot, now your a Lot POed !! In a nut shell thats why, "Ice fishing is not a crime" !!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2011, 08:53 AM »
oh, I get it now.  Thanks for the explanation.  That's too bad about your loss of access...there's lots of that B.S. everywhere...my father in law had all 4 valve stems cut off his truck while out on the ice 'cause someone didn't like where he parked (been going there for MANY years). What ever happaned to leaving a note on a windshield? 
Tight lines

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2011, 09:03 AM »
YIKES that sounds ridiculous,here in rochester mn, we have the mayo clinic...one of the best hospitals in the country...which in turn means A LOT of rich doctors running around.. we also have an IBM,so lots of rich tech guys... so,developers have started making man made lakes and ponds for the center of their new developments so they can jack up the price... most of these are open to the public but like yall said, getting into them is hard because no one wants everyones trucks in front of their house so people normally park in a fair game parking lot and hoof it from there.. there is one guy i have talked to on the lake,and every time i skirt the property line between him and his neighbors yards... he will yell, hey you hooligan, give me all your fish or im calling the cops lol

long story short, i found the one cool guy on the lake, and im doing my best to keep him satisfied with my groups manners and outdoor ethics, its too bad the homeowners there never gave you guys a chance to prove yourself 

there is 1 lake that lets NO ONE in except the homeowners, they stock it with all kinds of goodies and i have seen pics of 18 inch crappies that came out of it...thats all fine and dandy because they actually paid for the fish that got put in it,but i just moved a guy into that community and he invited me out there because he has no gear, i told him i have PLENTY and would give him one of my poles and some jigs if i hook into a 18 incher and could get it mounted.,. i guess we will see if he is serious when i show up on his doorstep this winter lol

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2011, 10:46 AM »
wow, that's crazy.  never had a problem fishing anywhere I want....luckily I have a lot of family and friends with places on ponds/lakes. 

I did get confronted by some people teaching a fly fishing class one time while I was fishing from shore at a pond, but being an advocate of access myself I knew that the area I was fishing from was a town owned piece of land zoned for public access....and I was there before they showed up.  Once I stated that the guy just moved his group to a different area. 

surflizard

« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2011, 10:55 AM »
Thats why I nicknamed people like that the " Fun Police" ! There are people who go thru their entire life always being miserable and they can not stand the fact that other people are enjoying themselves and do what ever it takes to ruin it for the other guy, Hence the name "Fun Police" !

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:24 AM »
There are people who go thru their entire life always being miserable and they can not stand the fact that other people are enjoying themselves and do what ever it takes to ruin it for the other guy, Hence the name "Fun Police" !

X2

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2011, 01:34 PM »
does anyone still have the stickers, i would want one because im sick of the police kicking me off the lake with bull horns because the ice ive been fishing on for a week  is unsafe.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2011, 01:47 PM »
They can't legally kick you off the pond for 'unsafe' ice. The worst they can do is tow your vehicle if it's parked illegally. If they could kick you off unsafe ice, no one would ever be allowed on the ice because they always say that no ice is safe. I just yell back that there's plenty of ice and I'm all set and they go away when they try that on me.

Parking illegally and trespassing to get to the water is different, though...

does anyone still have the stickers, i would want one because im sick of the police kicking me off the lake with bull horns because the ice ive been fishing on for a week  is unsafe.
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

surflizard

« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2011, 01:48 PM »
They aren't considerate enough to walk out to talk to you, thats a real shame, I'd have to pull the Deaf mute and see what happened ??

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2011, 02:38 PM »
They can't legally kick you off the pond for 'unsafe' ice. The worst they can do is tow your vehicle if it's parked illegally. If they could kick you off unsafe ice, no one would ever be allowed on the ice because they always say that no ice is safe. I just yell back that there's plenty of ice and I'm all set and they go away when they try that on me.

my trucks parked in the driveway, im one of those mean lake front property owners ;D. im more concerned with getting stopped afterwards and ticketed for something stupid because i pissed an officer off, my truck sticks out, a dodge dakota with a convertible roof. they cant kick you off, but they could make your life miserable :o

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2011, 03:11 PM »
how would they know that the guy way out there on the ice all bundled up is the owner of said truck??  they wouldn't!! 

Next time try calling the police on your cell and letting them know that you're fine out there.  You probably have a neighbor that thinks that the ice is never safe. 

I've talked to EPOs that won't go on the ice no matter what.  I've been like "dude, there is about 18" of ice out there, I've been fishing here all day" and they still won't go.  Oh well. 

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 26, 2011, 12:42 AM »
how would they know that the guy way out there on the ice all bundled up is the owner of said truck??  they wouldn't!! 

Next time try calling the police on your cell and letting them know that you're fine out there.  You probably have a neighbor that thinks that the ice is never safe. 

I've talked to EPOs that won't go on the ice no matter what.  I've been like "dude, there is about 18" of ice out there, I've been fishing here all day" and they still won't go.  Oh well.

i drive my big ol pick up on the ice all the time,i have even seen a small airplane land on the ice before... and they wont walk on it? thats like a DNR agent who wont go into the woods.. what a joke lol how are they supposed to protect the fishery if they wont come out on the ice and check limits?

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 26, 2011, 09:41 AM »
Wait, doesn't that mean you own the whole pond?! How dare they kick you off YOUR pond! :o

my trucks parked in the driveway, im one of those mean lake front property owners ;D. im more concerned with getting stopped afterwards and ticketed for something stupid because i pissed an officer off, my truck sticks out, a dodge dakota with a convertible roof. they cant kick you off, but they could make your life miserable :o
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 26, 2011, 10:35 AM »

"you are in peril"
lol. that still cracks me up. give me a holla when u get a chance. we gotta catch up.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 26, 2011, 10:48 AM »

theres a big percentage of property owners on the lake that are either firemen or police officers, im betting alot of small mass lakes are like that. they know who you are. was fishing a couple years ago with a police officer, they yelled from shore, he got off, didnt need the hassles.

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #27 on: Oct 26, 2011, 12:32 PM »
sounds like Spec pond in lancaster....

when i comes to police asking you to get off the ice..say what i do

'i take full responsibility for my actions, and besides, do you think i would be on this ice if i had to depend on your fat arse to resuce me?'

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 26, 2011, 03:41 PM »
sounds like Spec pond in lancaster....

when i comes to police asking you to get off the ice..say what i do

'i take full responsibility for my actions, and besides, do you think i would be on this ice if i had to depend on your fat arse to resuce me?'

burp

Lenz,
Your quote at the bottom of your post reminded me of the song. I like it.   

Offline ZeroGravity

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 27, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Forgive me for my ignorance and maybe asking some stupid questions.... And for the record, I consider ice fishing a peaceful sport and I do not consider ice fishing a crime!

I have read the previous post on this thread multiple times and even attempted to read between the lines.....

Can you give me the situation with the body(ies) of water in question where attempts are being made to restrict access?  Do these areas have "public" access points or is the entire body of water privately owned?

When these residents on the waters call the police, what is their complaint?  Parking in an illegal parking zone, trespassing?  Something else?

Thanks for you patience with me.....

Have an awesome day!

- ZG - 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.