Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Lizard Lake?  (Read 965 times)

Offline Derek

• IceShanty Rookie
Lizard Lake?
« on: Oct 17, 2011, 02:28 AM »
Couple questions... Is this lake going to be drawn all the way down this winter? If so, were the perch atleast relocated?

This was by far the most fun I had fishing last year and would like to make the trip back if they will have water in it again.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lizard Lake?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2011, 10:34 AM »
They lowered the lake this spring and they said it would remain lowered for two summers so my assumption is that yes it will be down this winter as well.

No the perch weren't relocated, the DNR relaxed the fishing regulations on the lake since this spring.  No length limits, no possession limit, and you could use seines and nets to catch the fish.

I haven't been by the lake since late winter so i have no idea what condition it is in currently.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2011, 03:48 PM »
It was my understanding (I'm from Pocahontas orig.) that back in 2006 there was a restoration under way or in the works.  The information I've gotten is all second hand but I've heard that they are drainging the lake.  They did have fully relaxed reg's as far as no limits and method of harvest.  The plan, it seems, (my info) is that the lake will be drawn down to bare mud, vegetation will be allowed to cover the basin, and the lake will be filled but only to a shallow depth and turned into a waterfowl lake.  I can't stress enough that this is all second hand and mostly off the cuff remarks.  I have seen nothing in the way of a restoration proposal or otherwise from the DNR and I guess I haven't looked....LOL.  So a definite maybe!
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Derek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2011, 05:39 PM »
That's too bad. Hope all the big perch were caught out of there then. If all the vegetation grows then it more than likely replicate big wall. Nothing wrong with more waterfowl habitat.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2011, 11:38 AM »
No doubt.  It's too bad they can't do both.   Was up at Waubay, SD and their lakes have flooded out into shallow bays.  Great cover for ducks and plenty of feed to make some giant perch.  But they have the deep holes.  it will resemble Little Clear west of Poky I'm guessing.  When I was a little shaver in the 70's my dad used to take us to little clear.  There were bullheads and perch and I think there were even northerns and walleye to some degree.  High Lake, Rush lake, 5 island lake...there used to be a lot of good perch lakes in that area from time to time.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lizard Lake Fishing Team
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Lizard Lake was drained in late spring and early summer.   It now looks like a pasture.   The plan is to remain dry until next August.  Once water levels return to approximately 6" lower than before,  they will stock the lake with perch.   A year or two later, northern pike will be stocked.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.