Author Topic: Eating Burbot?  (Read 51372 times)

Offline IceMan08

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eating Burbot?
« on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:29 PM »
 Alright so I was out fishing today and caught some pike and burbot.  Usually I just let all the burbot go and keep a couple of gators for supper but today I cleaned a couple of burbot as well as the pike.  Now over the past few years I keep reading threads on how good burbot are in the frying pan and I just dont get it.  So after  filleting the fish I was comparing the to different species and the pike looked like something I would eat and the burbot... well lets just say I was trying to keep an open mind.  So at supper time we cooked up some of both and gave it a try.  Last time I tryed burbot was four years ago and this time was no different, it tasted like **** and went in the garbage!  The pike was good as always and thats that I just dont see myself keeping anymore burbot ever.

So honestly can anyone actually say they like these ugly, horrible tasting fish? 

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
Re: Eating Burbot?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:35 PM »
haha
I was the same exact way the first time I tried it, I was 100% convinced I would never eat it again. Until a buddy of mine cooked it up the right way & it was excellent! I never did get the recipe but I know I can't cook burbot the right way because if its done correctly you will love it.

-South

Offline onthebank

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hi
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:42 PM »
burbot is way better than pike... just an ugly fish to clean.. and they have no bones in the meat

Offline IceMan08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:43 PM »
Well I wish someone would tell me what the right way is because i,ve deep fryed, fryed several differnt ways and made poor man's lobster with the same result ever time.  

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:44 PM »
I wouldn't say way better than pike... I like my pike... ;D

-South

Offline IceMan08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:46 PM »
burbot is way better than pike... just an ugly fish to clean.. and they have no bones in the meat

You cant be serious, how do you cook your burbot?  I dont care about it being ugly, i can get past that.  But it just doesnt taste good.  

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2011, 11:18 PM »
i'll take mariah over walleye anyday, any time we have put them in the deepfryer together the mariah comes out on top, dont't overcook em though cut into 1.5 inch cubes deep fry at 330 degrees for 5-6 minutes, hopefully get a good feed of em this weekend. buddy of mine always said walleye look nice in a bucket but can't beat a good feed of freshly iced burbs... DO NOT FREEZE THEM though will ruin em every time.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2011, 01:17 AM »
yeah, i have heard the "no freeze" issue too. we usually eat them fresh so i never had to freeze them.
we have had them done in tin foil and butter and garlic over the fire and they were great.
dad talks about cleaning them by nailing their head to a tree, cut the skin around the head and grab the skin with pliers and pull. chop off the meat and its ready for the pan. i never had the chance to try this, but with a sharp knife you can skin 'em like a deer.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2011, 03:29 AM »
Are some of your guys cooking your burbot with skin on? I'd leave the skin alone as that does taste like the outhouse hole. In my books it's one of the best meat out there and ranks above halibut. :P
Maybe those guys that didn't like the taste...the burbot was frozen on the ice, then partially thawed and cleaned :-\

Offline finzandpigskinz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2011, 08:17 AM »
You have to make sure you don't touch the meat to the skin or it will ruin and take on a real crappy taste.  I always wash my hands after I skin it so I don't touch the meat with the stinky enzymes they have on their skin.  I read in a book that showed how to skin them that the enzymes in their skin can ruin the meat.

I personally skin them like a dear and only take the back meat, I find the tail meat to be very untasty.  Be careful to keep all the guts and blood in the fish too when skinning as their guts and blood contain the enzyme too. 

I still prefer walleye over any fish but Burbot is a close third behind perch.   

Offline jignjim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2011, 10:58 AM »
Last Month "Tipupfrenzy" pulled a 11.5lb burbut out of Tobin . He brought it back frozen, I thawed it and cleaned it, then it sat in the fridge for 3 days. It looked disgusting. I made up a beer batter and deep fried it. It was great. "Tipup" doesn't usually like to eat fish (walleye incuded), but he ate pretty much the whole fish - said it was the best fish he every had!! Take the time to clean it proper and you won't be diappointed!!

Offline Paraaronoid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2011, 01:21 PM »

What part of the burbot did you eat?  I have only ever tried the 'backstraps', they are very tasty...I hear people say that anything else can be like crap.

Offline jagger_ca

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2011, 02:37 PM »
I really only enjoy eating perch.  I have given away all the walleye I caught this year.  Pike and dogfish go straight back into the lake..

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2011, 02:48 PM »
personally i like the poor mans lobster method. I boil all the meat i can get, including the tail meat. Normally boil for 4 mins, strain then add butter and garlic to the pot the burbot was in. Put burbot in and saute it with  cajun seasoning. I thinks its great. Thats the one fish i wanted this whole winter and havent caught one yet.

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Drop In boiling water for 45 seconds to get oil out and than fry in a batter of your kind

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2011, 05:41 PM »
we catch quite a few where we fish i send them home with a bud that eats them ,

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2011, 06:01 PM »
I've eaten burbot for a long time and never had a bad one...not sure what you're doing to em. ;D ;D

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2011, 08:37 PM »
We like them so much we make an annual trip once a year just to target them.  We take out the backstraps ( avoiding the stomach area ) and once you are past there just fillet the tail out like you would any other fish.

Check out this vid on how to clean them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMdD8egU_ac

This was our cleaned pile from this past weekend:

We prefer to deep fry them with beer batter.  We find the smaller ones taste better than the bigger ones.  They almost have a sweet taste to them and have pure white flaky meat.

shawno  @)

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Ask jiginjim he cooked some up for us and it awesome he will give u the recipie
Fishing is a tough job, but im willing to Tackle it!

Offline rockets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2011, 10:17 PM »
Nothing to proud of there Shawno,  killing a pile of fish while they are on the spawn.  No doubt it happens all the time but seems like you took quite a bit.  All female?

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2011, 10:28 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=177656.0

Should be able to find more than 1 Burbot recipe in here ;) From Chowdah's to Paella..... :)

Cheers & Tight Lines!!!

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2011, 10:29 PM »
Nothing to proud of there Shawno,  killing a pile of fish while they are on the spawn.  No doubt it happens all the time but seems like you took quite a bit.  All female?

really? quite a few? looks like maybe 10 to me... and for 3 guys for one day of the year? and if the guys eat them and dont let them go to waste like a lot of other guys may do, whats the big deal? yeah so they are ready to spawn but thats kinda out of our control. i say as long as they eat them, which these guys will, go ahead.

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2011, 10:59 PM »
nice catch shawno

Offline perchindude123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish-Whisperer"
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2011, 11:23 PM »
Nice catch. rockets why do you care what the guy keeps? grow up and stop bit****

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2011, 11:56 PM »
Nothing to proud of there Shawno,  killing a pile of fish while they are on the spawn.  No doubt it happens all the time but seems like you took quite a bit.  All female?

Not really proud about it rockets...this thread was about eating burbot...I was simply was showing some cleaned Burbot with help from an instructional video for those who were unsure of how to cook/clean them.  There was no intent to brag about our catch.  4 of us went to LML and we kept 10 Burbot and 1 pike. Only 3 were female ( Burbot and the rest were males ) Spoke to some of the locals and they mentioned that many of the females haven't arrived yet...in fact most of the groups around us only caught males as well.  Considering each persons limit is significantly higher than the number each of us took home, I do not feel bad about keeping a few at all.  All the fish were eaten and not wasted.  What more can you ask for?

Cheers,

shawno  @)

Offline perchguy1990

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2011, 12:30 AM »
i'm starting to think rockets is jealous :'( look at all the female pike perch and walleye taken everyday nobody seems to complain about them

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2011, 12:45 AM »
Have eaten hundreds of burbout, and never had  bad one!  Fried, boiled, poor man's lobster, grilled, all very fine, white, sweet tasting meat.  Can't imagine what you are doing wrong, but it must be something between the ice and the pan.

We skin them whole, right on the ice.  The heads, guts and skin go to the eagles, who snarf them up pronto.

Ted

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 22, 2011, 01:51 AM »
nice catch!  and ya i would be proud!  isnt that why most of fish? is to enjoy the meat!

well done!!!!

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 22, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Nice catches you guys!!!! ;D ;D  As for the whiners....well.....yo u know what I am thinking so consider yourselves told!!!!

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 22, 2011, 08:43 AM »

Rockets can you tell me what the bid deal is?  If people are targeting burbet on their spawn and keep some what is the difference of someone catching eyes before the spawn. Either way if you keep a fish it doesnt get to spawn

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.