The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: new homemade cordless auger  (Read 14402 times)

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
new homemade cordless auger
« on: Mar 11, 2011, 09:55 AM »
i know a lot of you hate these things...don't know why...but i really like electric augers.  i have wanted one before i even ran across this site...in fact i think i came across this site because i was searching for reviews and thoughts on the attacker.  i was going to buy one at the beginning of this season, but with the economy what it is today, and the fact that i have worked about 8 months of the last 12, i decided to prioritize the mortgage over new fishing equipment.  well about a month ago i sold a few things and had a little jingle in my pocket.  with boredom settling in and sore arms...from hand drilling...i started looking for ways to make one.  i watched videos on youtube, read articles, scoured the web, and poured over ebay.  eventually i came up with this!

i already had the (2) 7.5 ah batteries, and the auger, but for about $100 for the gearmotor, boat switch, cutting board, misc hardware, wire and connectors, i have a new rig that will drill 25 6" holes through 22" of ice in about 8 min. before it dies. the whole thing only weighs 24.5 lbs. with the batteries and auger attached (and the batteries alone are like 5lbs a piece).  it is reversible so you can clean your holes with it after you get done drilling if you want and is very quiet when it cuts.  so far i have only drilled holes to see how many i could get, haven't wet a line with her yet...but that's what saturdays are for.  i may even let the kids try it and they are 8 and 10...woohoo endless possibilities.  i can see it now...my boy drilling the holes while i lay out tipups!!! ;) :tipup:

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: new homemade cordless auger
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2011, 09:59 AM »
oh and by the way...i am going to try to film me drilling a bunch of holes on saturday.  will try to put it on youtube so you guys can see it in action!
let me know what you think or if you have any ???'s

thanks,

matt

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2011, 09:59 AM »
Nice job!! Hope it works out well for you for years to come.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2011, 12:32 PM »
Do you have any details on the gear motor... I like it and i want to make one too!

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2011, 01:05 PM »
here is the link for the one that i bought...looks like he has a few left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GEARMOTOR-1-4-HP-180-WATT-12-VOLT-170-180RPM-REVERSIBLE-/350348356441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519263ab59

one thing i can tell you after trying it out...it does not work well with only twelve volts.  i know it says it's a 12 volt motor, but after drilling 25 holes in a row with 24 volts of power...the motor is warm, but not hot.  it's $66 for the motor, $20 for the momentary on/off/momentary on boat switch, $11 for the cutting boards, and about $10 worth of hardware to put it all together...

good luck,

matt

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2011, 01:48 PM »
awesome. Motor ordered

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2011, 01:57 PM »
glad to hear it, let me know if you need any advice in 10 days when it gets there!...oh and pfscott, thanks for the compliment, i'm sure i will

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2011, 02:24 AM »
Nice, love the enginuity.  I started on one yesterday before seeing your post. I went a different route for the motor. Found an 18V Dewalt drill on craiglist without batteries for $50.  Hacked up the drill to use the motor and gearbox.  I'm using the same 7.5ah batteries.  Made the case out of aluminum.  I still need to weld on the handles and lid, attach the switch and wire it up.  I scavanged the batteries out of backup power supplies for computers and had the aluminum laying around the shop.  So I'm only in $50 and some time at the welding bench. Don't pick on my welds, there not the best :(  
Front view

Top view

Side view

Switch I'm going to use.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2011, 03:57 PM »
What size is the screw?
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2011, 04:22 PM »
i have a 6" on mine, but i also have a 7" waiting to try it out.  like i said in the posts i know for a fact it will drill 25 6" holes through 22" of ice in under 10 minutes.  once i try out the 7" i'll let you know how many and how fast!

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Thanks!
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:22 PM »
Nice, love the enginuity.  I started on one yesterday before seeing your post. I went a different route for the motor. Found an 18V Dewalt drill on craiglist without batteries for $50.  Hacked up the drill to use the motor and gearbox.  I'm using the same 7.5ah batteries.  Made the case out of aluminum.  I still need to weld on the handles and lid, attach the switch and wire it up.  I scavanged the batteries out of backup power supplies for computers and had the aluminum laying around the shop.  So I'm only in $50 and some time at the welding bench. Don't pick on my welds, there not the best :(  

Not trying to be a smart alec, how are you getting 18v out of two 12v batteries? Are you charging them to 9v each and hooking up in series?
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:29 PM »
i believe he is over volting the motor as i am.  my motor in theory was only rated for 12 volts...but it didn't spin fast enough at 12 volts...so rather than scrapping the entire project, i ran the batteries in series and acheived what i thought were suitable results with 24 volts( 25 hole in 22" of ice in under ten min.)  you can do it as long as you know you may burn out the motor if it nears full throttle and no rpms.

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2011, 05:01 AM »
Not trying to be a smart alec, how are you getting 18v out of two 12v batteries? Are you charging them to 9v each and hooking up in series?

Well I'm no plumber but I don't think the additional 6V will hurt the motor one bit.  Plus it has a clutch on it so there will be no over torquing of the motor.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2011, 05:24 PM »
made it out to the lake this weekend and got some video of it in action...check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp9G9sbpvqM

tell me what you think

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2011, 05:27 PM »
made it out to the lake this weekend and got some video of it in action...check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp9G9sbpvqM

tell me what you think

Looks great!

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Looking good buddy.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2011, 08:18 PM »
very impressed and nice work, also great job on saving some serious $$$$$$.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2011, 09:47 PM »
thanks...$60 for the gear motor, $20 for the switch, $10 for wiring and connectors, and $10 for the cutting boards.  Then you add an auger and 2 batteries and another $10 for misc. hardware...and waalaa...an afternoon later you have a lightweight rig that will drill holes in the ice!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2011, 10:08 PM »
thanks...$60 for the gear motor, $20 for the switch, $10 for wiring and connectors, and $10 for the cutting boards.  Then you add an auger and 2 batteries and another $10 for misc. hardware...and waalaa...an afternoon later you have a lightweight rig that will drill holes in the ice!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2011, 10:55 PM »
Wow, I can't believe that I haven't crossed this thread yet, right up my alley, lots of cool stuff here, i'm sure I'll be chiming in alot next ice season.

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2011, 05:26 AM »

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2011, 07:40 AM »
Brilliant design! Seems like an awesome auger.
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline svonasek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 31, 2011, 01:52 PM »
Looks good.  I like that motor/gear box combo you found.  I might have to look into that some more.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2011, 08:00 PM »
i put my box together last night... used the alumiweld you can find at harbor freight.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2011, 11:50 PM »
nice looking box...aluminum is always so purdy.  you should weigh it with the batteries and the auger...i'll bet your around 25 lbs.  i'm thinking i might go find some 12 ah batteries and give them a try...wanna see exactly how many holes i can drill in 1 outing.  i'm thinkin that if 7.5 ah batteries gets me 30 holes,then 12 ah batteries might get me 60?  gotta order em off ebay...so we'll see.   nice lookin rig!

matt

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:09 AM »
that looks awesome, you really have my brain racing now...  ???

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:28 AM »
it is almost complete. Wired it up last night and am just waiting on the connector piece...which is done just need to pick it up. Hopefully i will have some pictures/video to share from this weekend!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Nice job!!!

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:20 AM »
Well i put my auger together and tried it this weekend... Ended up frying the motor after 4 holes! was using 2 12v 8ah batteries. I opened it up and cleaned off the brushes and what not and got it going again when i got home, but i dont want to fry it again!  Do you think they have to much amperage?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.