Author Topic: Tip up name?  (Read 3106 times)

Offline tailhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up name?
« on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Anybody remember the name for this?
Slip that little un between a hot dog bun!

Offline GREEN-BACK-HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip up name?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2011, 11:05 PM »
what is that a u f o

Offline Ugly Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:11 AM »
I have the same one sitting in the shop. Originally came in a white and blue cardboard box (got it about 20 years ago) I don’t know if I still have the box, and I don’t know if it has its name on the tip-up.
My poor memory wants to say “ice plug” but I can’t be sure.

It works well though, keeps the hole from freezing up (I will see if I can find the box)
 ???
If you believe you can.....or believe you can't....
Your right

Offline tommy jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:18 AM »
I have the same one sitting in the shop. Originally came in a white and blue cardboard box (got it about 20 years ago) I don’t know if I still have the box, and I don’t know if it has its name on the tip-up.
My poor memory wants to say “ice plug” but I can’t be sure.

It works well though, keeps the hole from freezing up (I will see if I can find the box)
 ???

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was a huge sink / bath tub plug......if it turns out it is called the ice plug it would make sense (Ice UFO may be confusing) ;D

Offline tailhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2011, 05:53 PM »
On the spool on mine, it says Arctic Fisher Ent, Winkler Manitoba, made in Canada. That is all I can find. Ice plug does not ring a bell for me, but that blue and white box does.

Offline MIOVER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2011, 11:38 AM »
I think it was called the polar ice cap
Go hard or go home

Offline Ugly Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2011, 08:38 AM »
I googled both names "Arctic Angler in the USA and Arctic Fisher in Canada", and was unable to find a product that is similar to the one in the picture and the one I have. ???(Sorry fishinuts) Every one shown now is set up with the same basic configuration as a normal tip up (the “reel extends down into the hole) with just a round piece to cover the hole.

With mine (and I believe the one shown in Tailhunters original picture) the “reel” is mounted on the side of the handle (you can see it in the picture) then the line extends down through a tube in the body of the unit so that there is nothing below the body of the unit but line. The flag is tripped by movement of the reel on the handle.

Tailhunter please correct me if I am wrong in describing your unit.

Miover’s name of “polar ice cap” seems vaguely familiar but again I can’t be sure. I do remember as tailhunter has, a white cardboard box with blue writing. In the box was the tip up itself as well as an ice fishing jig that had 3 legs that extended out in a spoke pattern with a spring mounted single hook at the end of each spoke.

I have the unit as well as the jig and I will try to post pics of each  ;D.
Your right

Offline Ugly Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2011, 03:23 PM »
I Stand corrected ::)

Do you have any pictures of your product so that we can compare?
Your right

Offline tailhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2011, 05:54 PM »
I googled both names "Arctic Angler in the USA and Arctic Fisher in Canada", and was unable to find a product that is similar to the one in the picture and the one I have. ???(Sorry fishinuts) Every one shown now is set up with the same basic configuration as a normal tip up (the “reel extends down into the hole) with just a round piece to cover the hole.

With mine (and I believe the one shown in Tailhunters original picture) the “reel” is mounted on the side of the handle (you can see it in the picture) then the line extends down through a tube in the body of the unit so that there is nothing below the body of the unit but line. The flag is tripped by movement of the reel on the handle.

Tailhunter please correct me if I am wrong in describing your unit.

Miover’s name of “polar ice cap” seems vaguely familiar but again I can’t be sure. I do remember as tailhunter has, a white cardboard box with blue writing. In the box was the tip up itself as well as an ice fishing jig that had 3 legs that extended out in a spoke pattern with a spring mounted single hook at the end of each spoke.

I have the unit as well as the jig and I will try to post pics of each  ;D.

You described it perfect. Very easy and fast to set up, great for those -30c days, ;D and better yet, you do not have to try to chip 3 inches of ice to pull the tip up from the water. ;)  Seen a dude a few years ago lose a fish that way, the hole was still to frozen to pull a fish through, so his buddy kicks the ice, and knocks the fish right off the line, hahaha. Good times!
 Mine never came with a jig though :%$#!:
 We have a company here that makes stuff out of plastic, maybe they made the spools for this rig? Could explain why it says Winkler MB on it.

Offline fishinuts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2011, 05:07 AM »
ACRYLON has been doing the body moulds for us the reels were done at southman plastics in winkler. We used these for pike fishing. When setup up correctly i have used this to fish out of the same hole for 2 days or more. The hole diameter does get smaller during this time. We were in extreme cold temperatures with temps hitting -40 C overnight.

Offline fishinuts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2011, 07:05 PM »
Tailhunter i dont know how to reply to messages in my inbox, or it doesnt appear to let me do that. Sorry for the long time to respond but i was away. If you want some i have some on hand. i can read your messages but i cant reply. Leave me your email address or ph number.

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2011, 01:03 PM »
fishinuts  you need at least 3  or 5 posts before it will allow you to use it.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2011, 01:39 PM »
are they made still!! I like gadgits!

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline tailhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Dad picked one up a few years ago in Morden, but that store has since shut down. Not sure if he got somewhere, or had it lying around and decided to sell it. I figured I would come back sooner or later to pick some up, but he closed shop before I did.

Offline mbbushman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2011, 09:35 PM »
From what I've been told they were made in Winkler around 20 years ago, by a business that's no longer around in any form. I don't have any more details, just what I hear from relatives in Winkler.

Offline tailhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2011, 10:26 PM »
That is right around the time we all got ours.

Offline tailhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:36 PM »
Old thread, but FINALLY found a couple. They are called Arctic Angler. No more frozen spools tangled underwater line trying to crank the line on a 1" spool while holding the rig between your legs for me. Fish on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.