The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Varying colors of trout flesh  (Read 24596 times)

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
Varying colors of trout flesh
« on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:27 PM »
These are the filets from 2 brown trout caught ice fishing yesterday.  The pic doesn't dramatically show the color difference, but the lower filets were deep orange while the upper filets are more of a pale orange/pink.  2 other browns (not in the pic) flesh color fell somewhere in between.  I know there is a lot of crayfish in the lake so some of the trout must feed more heavily on them to get that deep color.  At least that's what I'm guessing.  But why doesn't it affect the bass and walleye flesh color.  In the summer the bass puke up crayfish parts in the livewell, and when fileted all they have in their gut are crayfish but still have white flesh. Any thoughts?  Good Fishin' - OH

Bullelk34

Re: Varying colors of trout flesh
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2011, 07:15 AM »
I was told that trout that are eating lots of freshwater shrimp turn that orange color, I don't keep them so not sure if it's true or not.

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2011, 12:39 PM »
YOUNGER AND HELTHYER FISH  TEND TO HAVE FERMER AND DARKER MEAT I THINK
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Definetly diet related.  This past weekend I filleted out 10 trout with flesh ranging from pure white...like pike or walleye all the way to almost red.  In my experience white trout taste like dirt...too bad you have to cut into them to find out what the meat looks like.  As for the crawfish shrimp statement...they are both "shell" fish so they should both turn the meat pink from what I know.  I think the whiter fleshed fish eat more bugs minnows snails etc...  These conclusions have come from many a gutted fish...

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2011, 04:55 PM »
I have cut through many caught through the ice over the last few years and noticed it’s mostly the males that differ in color.   
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2011, 05:22 PM »
Trout are salmonids. Bass and walleye are not. Salmon meat is usually pink. I've also noticed rainbow meat is pink when they are spawning as well.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:01 AM »
when i catch rainbows hear the meat is usually bright pink/orange, but when theyve got eggs or sperm filled gullets they always have pale mushy flesh. they all smoke up the same!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Trout that are in reproductive mode always have paler flesh. Most of their energy at that time is going towards reproduction and not maintaining flesh.

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2011, 11:50 AM »
I'd say you probably caught the darker one first and there is just less oxygen in the meat now. 

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2011, 01:01 PM »
the real question is.... why are you eating a nasty slimy gross trout?

they are fun to catch but.... give me some walleye
l

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2011, 01:12 PM »
the real question is.... why are you eating a nasty slimy gross trout?

they are fun to catch but.... give me some walleye
Granted they aren't near the tablefare of walleye, but have you ever had smoked trout jerky?  Tastey stuff right there!  OH

Offline natedogg18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2011, 01:37 PM »
From what Ive heard it depends on diet and whether or not they are native/stocked.  Farm-raised fish eat mostly artificial food(pellets).  Stocked trout usually are lighter colored inside and out.  The natives feed on aquatic species and have the pink color.

Offline Russ-T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2011, 03:48 PM »
I think the mane reason some are pinker and some are whiter is because they are different colors! There you go! Problem Solved...Your welcome.  ;D

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2011, 03:52 PM »
See it all the time in steelhead and kings. They enter fresh water with brilliant orange flesh. As it gets closer to spawning time the paler the flesh gets.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:43 AM »
Last time I fished in the spring at CF the rainbow meat was really pink. I guess it must have been pre or post spawn then?

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:52 AM »
The aerosmith song "pink" is stuck in my head now
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:57 PM »
I think the mane reason some are pinker and some are whiter is because they are different colors! There you go! Problem Solved...Your welcome.  ;D
I have to say that's probably the most scientific and accurate statement made so far Russ-T ;) 
Question for you fishinwithbrittanies:  Is pink REALLY your favorite color? ;D
Great fun guys! Keep 'em coming... _ OH

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it didn't have a mother then it wasn't a meal.
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Of course what the fish eats effects the color of the meat, but I tend to lean toward the theory that the paler meat came from a fish that was spawning. Did that fish have a darker or more vibrantly colored body? On the trout that had the pink meat did it have a very silvery body? I have notice that the darker the color of the fish the lighter the color of the meat. I think it has to do with migration of fat inside the fish as it prepares to spawn. This is especially true of the trout in G-town that will end up with almost white mean by the time the season ends because they are getting ready to spawn.

flyfish59102

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:35 PM »
There are also genetic influences at work here, or so I believe. I fish in Alaska all summer and king salmon have a genetic variation known as "white kings". Somwhere around 10% to 15% of the population have white flesh as opposed to the normal orange color.  I challenge anyone to tell any difference in flavor and the research folks tell us that the whites are slightly higher in the good HDL fats. I probably catch somewhere around 50-70 coho's a year as well and those I kill show a variation in color, mainly in the hens. This is a common question posed to biologists  and there is no hard evidence in any direction that I am aware of.........

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it didn't have a mother then it wasn't a meal.
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2011, 10:08 PM »
You can try and eat the pale meat trout out of G-town if you want. I think they taste like the back half of a skunk. You know, after you get past the hind legs but before you get to the tail.  :sick:

flyfish59102

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2011, 10:14 PM »
Of course what the fish eats effects the color of the meat, but I tend to lean toward the theory that the paler meat came from a fish that was spawning. Did that fish have a darker or more vibrantly colored body? On the trout that had the pink meat did it have a very silvery body? I have notice that the darker the color of the fish the lighter the color of the meat. I think it has to do with migration of fat inside the fish as it prepares to spawn. This is especially true of the trout in G-town that will end up with almost white mean by the time the season ends because they are getting ready to spawn.

flyfish59102
All the trout were Brown Trout which spawn in the fall, so that wasn't a factor.  From the outside, they all looked pretty much the same except they differed in length from 17-19".  The one with the darkest meat looked the 'fattest' and by that I mean it was slightly more football shaped, but not by much.  Although it was the longest one at 19".  In the pic below, the top brown was the 19"er with the dark meat and the bottom trout was 17" with lighter meat.  All I know for sure is that the filets brined and smoked all taste the same to me!  Good eatin' - OH

SORRY, FORGOT THE PIC!!
Here it is-

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2011, 09:24 AM »
no biologist here....
I have noticed this difference but always thought it had to do with h20 quality and or temperature.  Most, if not all the fish I have put in a campfire backpacking have been nice and red fleshed fish.  I always assumed cool high quality water.  When your icefishing the water is always cold and the only thing that would change is the quality depending on where your fishing. 
I have also noticed it with differences in size.  A local spot i fish, I occasionally keep a few.  Now I never keep them if they are over 15 or 16" fish.  The smaller ones tend to have brighter flesh and taste way better.

Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.