Author Topic: Going to give it shot in the morning.....  (Read 932 times)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Going to give it shot in the morning.....
« on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:42 PM »
I went out at lunch and checked some ice at syracuse.  A bit sketchy at the edges, open by the launch and open where the channel goes into wawasee, but once you get out a bit there is 12 inches in the spots where I drilled.  Will not go alone, will have rope and picks and spud our way out to be safe.  Hopefully, we can get on some gills or crappie.  

Stopped to get some spikes on the way home and heard confirmed reports that people have gone in on Shiphewana, Hunter and Wawasee since Monday.  The person at Shipshe tried to cross an area with known springs, the person at wawasee went in near Griffiths marina where there is current, and I am not sure about what happened at hunter.  Be sure to spud your way out whereever you go and don't go alone.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Going to give it shot in the morning.....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Good luck and  be safe  :tipup:

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:01 PM »
Ice is very inconsistent from spot to spot in thickness.  The snow puts a shield over bad areas!  Plus the weight will make for a sloppy mess.   Is it worth it?  Of course if you are careful.  We drilled in one place and had around 10 inches and another and had around 6 inches. 

Be careful.

Jonesy

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Good luck! 
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:09 PM »
I went out at lunch and checked some ice at syracuse.  A bit sketchy at the edges, open by the launch and open where the channel goes into wawasee, but once you get out a bit there is 12 inches in the spots where I drilled.  Will not go alone, will have rope and picks and spud our way out to be safe.  Hopefully, we can get on some gills or crappie.  

Stopped to get some spikes on the way home and heard confirmed reports that people have gone in on Shiphewana, Hunter and Wawasee since Monday.  The person at Shipshe tried to cross an area with known springs, the person at wawasee went in near Griffiths marina where there is current, and I am not sure about what happened at hunter.  Be sure to spud your way out whereever you go and don't go alone.
Good Luck and stay dry.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:15 PM »
I'm going to be out tomorrow as well but I'll be fishing different kind of holes ;D

Offline portageredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:24 PM »
I'm going to be out tomorrow as well but I'll be fishing different kind of holes ;D
[/

holes in the creeks ????

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:40 PM »

Waxworm,
Where did you drill on Syracuse? I have been out there all week except for today and I never found 12 inches of ice.
There's 6 inches of ice and some of it is bubbled. There is some current flowing and you better spud your way out. I don't have a good spud so I drill or don't venture in unfished territory.
And on Wawasee there was only 8 inches of ice last week.
And as indicated the uninformed can be real surprised. I've been lucky a few times over the years.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Waxworm,
Where did you drill on Syracuse? I have been out there all week except for today and I never found 12 inches of ice.
There's 6 inches of ice and some of it is bubbled. There is some current flowing and you better spud your way out. I don't have a good spud so I drill or don't venture in unfished territory.
And on Wawasee there was only 8 inches of ice last week.
And as indicated the uninformed can be real surprised. I've been lucky a few times over the years.

Off the south shore near the point small land point.  I spudded my way out there and other than by the shore I was unable to put my spud thru the ice in 7 or 8 whacks in the same spot.  Drilled 2 holes one about 50yds off shore and another at least 100 yds off shore and both had ice measured on my spud bar at 11 or 12 inches.  After I drilled I moved all the slush from the auger inverted my spud into the hole and 'hooked' the bottom of the ice with the 'T' handle and measured to the water level in the hole.  Someone had ventured out there before me as there were fresh tracks in the snow, but I did not see where or if they had fished.  We will spud our way out tomorrow and not be in a hurry.  I did not drill a ton of holes, but the two spots I drilled had well over 6 inches of ice and took many turns of the lazer to get thru.  This same area had 16+ inches of ice before the warmup.  I did not expect to find as much ice as I did.  I expected 6-8 inches tops.

Where have you been on the lake where you are finding a max of 6 inches?

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:06 PM »
West and North shores. Of course these get more sun this time of year.

I haven't seen anyone on the south shore since Saturday.

And stay away from the RR Bridge even way out or east of there. The ice is starting to darken the snow
in a way that indicates current flow.

Good luck tomorrow.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:18 PM »
West and North shores. Of course these get more sun this time of year.

I haven't seen anyone on the south shore since Saturday.

And stay away from the RR Bridge even way out or east of there. The ice is starting to darken the snow
in a way that indicates current flow.

Good luck tomorrow.

Oh yeah...saw that today.....I would not go near there anytime.....If you split the diff between the 'tube' by the launch and where the channel goes into wawasee, that is about where I was.  If we find it is not safe we will not continue out.  Will probably be the last weekend fishing if we get the rain the next week.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.