Author Topic: Sorel Galcier or Baffin Impact?  (Read 20633 times)

Offline HRD WTR

• IceShanty Rookie
Sorel Galcier or Baffin Impact?
« on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:02 PM »
Which of these boots is best? or maybe you have another selection? Froze my feet bad when I was a kid, always quick to get cold, looking for a better boot to keep warm for longer days on the ice.

Offline Pathfinder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sorel Galcier or Baffin Impact?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:18 PM »
I froze me toes and fingers also when i was young. Ive had the same issues with getting cold fast. I use the sorel glacier they keep my feet warmer than others ive tried. never tried the baffins though.

Offline Pathfinder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:19 PM »
should also add-buy good socks(expensive) i find this makes a world of difference.

Offline fishn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:46 PM »
my last three pairs have been sorels.  very rarely do i get cold feet.  the most important thing buying any brand of winter boot is to buy a size or two bigger than your normal size.  loose fitting boots will be much warmer than a tight snug fit.  not quite as comfortable to walk in but your feet will be ALOT warmer.  even a loose fitting -40 boot will be warmer than a snug -100.   i only use cheapy plain jane white sport socks any rarely get cold feet,  but like mentioned above, agood pair of woolies definitely wouldnt hurt. 

Offline Polarbehr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:32 AM »
I bought a pair of Banffin driller boots from Peavy Mart for 120.00 4 yrs ago n swear by these..theyre rated to -100c n are so toasty with jus a pair of sport socks in the only problem is trying to drive with them on cuz they are so big lol

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:27 AM »
Does anyone have problems with sweaty feet? my boot liners are usually soaked within minutes of putting them on. i have tried everything but nothing works. even fished -20 in rubbers hoping to keep my feet cool enough so they don't sweat, but it didn't work. is there a boot out there that would wick/breath enough to help me out - or am I SOL?

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:46 AM »
I have the glaciers, and no problems whatsoever. I think the baffin's are a little bulkier around the calf which might make things tight under your pant legs.

Offline CanAmCory

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:23 AM »
I'm with Polarbehr on this one. I have a pair of Baffin's and love them. The only thing i found is that with them being snug fitting they do sweat a bit and causes to be a little cold if your not moving around. Probably just all the moisture being trapped in that spot. I find the steel toe does get chilled when its super cold but nothing you can't handle. A looser pair may help out.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:32 AM »
Does anyone have problems with sweaty feet? my boot liners are usually soaked within minutes of putting them on. i have tried everything but nothing works. even fished -20 in rubbers hoping to keep my feet cool enough so they don't sweat, but it didn't work. is there a boot out there that would wick/breath enough to help me out - or am I SOL?

I purchased a pair of Helly Hanson sock liners then have a pair of WigWam extreme cold socks and that combo works awesome. Get a pair of sock liners as they are designed to wick moisture away from your feet and add a bit of cushion and warmth. I picked mine up from PeavyMart for about $10

Cheers!!

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:53 AM »
I purchased a pair of Helly Hanson sock liners then have a pair of WigWam extreme cold socks and that combo works awesome. Get a pair of sock liners as they are designed to wick moisture away from your feet and add a bit of cushion and warmth. I picked mine up from PeavyMart for about $10

Cheers!!

i guess i haven't tried everything... but if they wick moisture away, doesn't that mean that it goes directly into your socks and boot liners and freeze up anyways?

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:08 AM »
craig, go and get yourself a pair of bama socks, there like a pair of slippers you put on before you pt your boot on.  they are amasing, and cost less than 20 bucks.
Fishing is a tough job, but im willing to Tackle it!

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:21 AM »
last year I bought sorel conquests and wore smartwool with them and after about 4 hrs on the ice my feet were cold. this year I bought the baffin impacts with the smartwool and my feet are warm all day but the baffins are a little more bulky and if your walking in snow it can be a workout pulling gear. overall I like the baffins they will keep your feet warm and thats what is important to me and I dont mind a little workout. ;)

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Try bama socks if moisture is your problem, I first started using them on the rigs and I couldnt believe what a difference it made.. now they are part of my ice fishing kit as well.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:55 AM »
 definitely blame the boot not the smartwool...that stuff is the cat's ass.  the wigwam's are good but need a big boot to have room for them.  also anything helly hansen helps the situation, the liner socks and i wear the fullbody insulated undies when ever i'm out.

as for boots i like to be somewhat mobile without getting sweaty feet so wear a hunting style boot from irish setter...lightweight, warm and stays fairly dry.  couple buddies have the muckboot arcticpro's and swear by them and then a musher i know swears by mickey's.  type of boot just depends on the type of fishing you're doing.  if i was driving a truck out to the permanent/woodstove then i'd probably wear slippers  ;D either way spend some money and you probably won't go wrong.

another thing to invest in is a good insole.

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:00 AM »
I think the Baffins will keep you warmer.  They may be "bulkier", but they are also lighter.  Whatever boot you buy, you should try to make sure it's made in Canada.  I heard the Sorels are now made in China and I've been hearing this about some of the Baffins too. 

Offline perchasaurus rex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:15 AM »
Bought -80 Sorels and with Smart Wool on top of Hally hansen liner socks and have never had any problem with cool or cold feet, no matter what the temp.
Fishing lakes in Saskatchewan since 1980, or so.

emt

« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:56 PM »
I bought a pair of the cabelas inferno pac boots and they have been better than any other boot I have owned including sorels
i would suggest getting those
emt

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:35 PM »
yeah, or check out the Cabela Saskatchewan Pac boot.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2011, 03:10 PM »

Try foot powder, works for my sweaty feet.

I have the Sorel Glaciers, they are the best boots i've ever worn, period.
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

emt

« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:19 PM »
I have worn sorel glaciers, baffins, insulated rubber boots, etc...cabelas pac boots are the best!!!!
emt

Offline HRD WTR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:22 PM »
What about Windriver Yukon boots?

Offline snuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:19 PM »
Never used it myself but guys at feedlot used to sprinkle cayenne pepper on their feet to stop their feet sweating.
My feet stay dry in Sorel Glaciers in cold weather.
On warmer days I wear Irish Setter 100 gram gore-tex.
Snuff
Snuff

Offline Polarbehr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:45 AM »
You know maybe its just me but in my Banfins I never had an issue with wet feet..I wear normal cotton socks an thats all..never had my toes get cold cause of the steel toes or anything..they are jus a heavy boot and if your pulling anything it seems like your wearing concrete boots lol sure a good work out,,lol

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:55 AM »
You know maybe its just me but in my Banfins I never had an issue with wet feet..I wear normal cotton socks an thats all..never had my toes get cold cause of the steel toes or anything..they are jus a heavy boot and if your pulling anything it seems like your wearing concrete boots lol sure a good work out,,lol
I agree! never an issue with the Baffin's. I use regular white tube socks. If I am in a shanty, I will open up the top and loosen the buckles, to keep my legs from getting too hot. Outside, I keep them snug. As far as bulky, I would walk with 2 boots on each foot to keep my toes warm. The Baffin's I only need one on each.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Bought a pair of these http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Lifetime-Guarantee-Hunting-Socks-for-Men-1-Pair/product/34713/-876269 and they are the shizz-nit. They have a higher % of wool than smart socks and use Merino wool, which is of the highest quality. If they don't say Merino wool they are using a lesser quality. They are so soft and so warm it is unbelievable. Did I mention they have a lifetime warranty. No reciept needed, just bring in your stinky socks and exchange them. The price in Canada is $16 in store for some reason.

Offline HRD WTR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input. Sorels it is, and also some new design wool socks made for outdoors.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2011, 11:17 AM »
my glaciers are 26 years old, and still going strong! ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.