Author Topic: Chumming  (Read 17818 times)

Imaster

Chumming
« on: Jan 16, 2005, 11:16 PM »
I was wondering what you guys think about chumming, I just bumped into a little lake and have been catching some panfish, just thought if I were to throw some chum down I may have more luck.  Let me know what you think. James

P Gottshall

Re: chumming
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2005, 09:40 AM »
mcatt,

I like the pantyhose idea.  Does enough stuff get through to work well?  I've wondered how much you need to be releasing scent vs real particles into the water, & at what rate.  I've used a plastic tub with holes drilled in it, but the chum doesn't last long.

Thx,
Paul

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2005, 11:52 AM »
O yea haven't you ever been fishing a hole then get a few bites and your bee moth gets banged up then all hell breaks loose. This isn't happening for no reason, I think the chum from the bait gets them going. For last several years I have used oat meal,broke up bee moth,to get the fish turned on. I feel it sometimes gets things started cant hurt.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2005, 12:25 PM »
   When we had ice a few weeks ago I was fishing a small farm pond (1/3acre) for about an hour with minnows and had'nt caught a thing.  I grabbed a dozen or so minnows and sqeezed them and threw them down the hole.  It was like turning on a light switch in the next 1/2 hour before dark I caught 3 bass, lost one and had a 30" catfish at the hole before he broke my 2 lb. line.  I don't know if this would work in a larger body of water but I am gonna try it this weekend if the weather holds and we get some ice.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2005, 10:36 PM »
Can't remember which forum member i got this from but i have had great luck recently with frozen catfood or dogfood. Just freeze it with a rock in the middle and drop it down it leaks scent great and there is no can. Eggshells work great also but only in crystal clear water.

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2005, 02:55 PM »
Read somewhere years ago, a crappie magazine I think, that they used dry dog food soaked in grape soda and placed in a small cricket container and sunk it for crappies.  I know it works in the summer but never tried it in the winter.
sparky

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2005, 12:31 PM »
O yea haven't you ever been fishing a hole then get a few bites and your bee moth gets banged up then all hell breaks loose. This isn't happening for no reason, I think the chum from the bait gets them going. For last several years I have used oat meal,broke up bee moth,to get the fish turned on. I feel it sometimes gets things started cant hurt.

For the un-indoctrined . . .    bee moth???

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline IceShantyMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2005, 06:53 AM »
i don't know how well this is going to work but i have a dozen dead minnows which I'm going to freeze in a baggie with a rock in it then I'll remove the frozen minnows from the bag and drop it in the hole it should sink to the bottom and start breaking up then it'll be fish on baby
mar t
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a ride!" (author unknown)

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2005, 08:21 AM »
Mac

I've tried the catfood thing; all I caught was flatheads.

. . . so . . .

then I tried dogfood; all I caught was bowfins.

. . . thus . . .

I find it quite intriguing to consider what the catch would be if I dangled pantyhose in the lake ? ?   ;)  ::)

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2005, 08:55 AM »

I find it quite intriguing to consider what the catch would be if I dangled pantyhose in the lake ? ?   ;)  ::)

Perhaps a mermaid?  ???
fishNH @ MFF  huntNH @ MHF

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2005, 12:29 PM »
Mac

I've tried the catfood thing; all I caught was flatheads.

. . . so . . .

the I tried dogfood; all I caught was bowfins.

. . . thus . . .

I find it quite intriguing to consider what the catch would be if I dangled pantyhose in the lake ? ? ;) ::)
hopefully not any crabs

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2005, 10:16 PM »
I'm still waiting for an answer to Reelcharacter's question-"what's a bee moth?" That one has me stumped as well.

Offline IceShantyMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2005, 11:45 AM »
i don't understand the need to throw waste in the water when all you need do is freeze your chum with a rock in the middle if you want to shake the chum up I'd just tie some line to the rock when it's gone all that you have left is the line
mar t
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a ride!" (author unknown)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2005, 07:16 PM »
is chumming a technique that can be used anywhere, or is this something that is regulated and may not be allowed on certain bodies of water?

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Promisedland, Beltzville, Tobyhanna, NE Pa.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2005, 08:52 PM »
You got to check your local regulations. Depending what you use and how you use it. Like chumming is not legal in my state as far as I know but I maybe wrong. I use oatmeal it sinks and is not harmfull to the waters. If it's not legal where your at I don't recommend tying anything to strings. Fish comm. may visit and he may want to know what that line in the water is. Could get you in trouble.
See ya on the ice. Sean Palmerton Pa.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2005, 09:55 PM »
I tried the oatmeal this weekend at a fishing contest. It didn't bring in the fish and rendered my flasher useless for about 15 minutes. Flashes everywhere until the it all finally sank. I can see using some cut-up minnows for extra smell.

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tomorrow is a another day!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2005, 11:06 PM »
no chumming allowed here in maine :whistle:
We do not own this land ......We are just borrowing it from our children!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2005, 10:24 AM »
You got to check your local regulations. Depending what you use and how you use it. Like chumming is not legal in my state as far as I know but I maybe wrong. I use oatmeal it sinks and is not harmfull to the waters. If it's not legal where your at I don't recommend tying anything to strings. Fish comm. may visit and he may want to know what that line in the water is. Could get you in trouble.

Am I reading your post correctly?  You say chumming is not legal where you live, but you chum with oatmeal?  And as for not tying anything to a string so you won't get caught?  How about just obeying the law?

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline FishnFiend

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just a Fiend for Fishn'
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2005, 11:48 AM »
I know in some places(Ontario for example) cut bait of any kind is illegal.The oatmeal thing sounds interesting, but the flasher dilema would disqualify this tactic for me.

When I got bored yesterday, I threw a handful of Powerbait Crappie Nibbles down each of the two holes I was fishing, one at a time. Like the oatmeal, it lit up the flasher, but they sink fairly quickly, so it was only a couple minutes. When it all sank, I put on someting big, flashy, & heavy. I worked this very aggresively, letting it slam the bottom & then riping it back up. Based on the way that powerbait disolves, this should have created a decent cloud, & alot of flash. Within a couple minutes, the bottom was littered with fish. I managed to yank 5-6 fish in just a few minutes before it (the flurry of action)subsided. I tried to get it going again, but it didn't happen.

I ended up moving a short while later, & found a hot bite on minnows, so I didn't find out if this would work there too.

Rest assured I will be trying this again whenever I experience a lull in the action. I will let you guys know if there's a pattern here.

The Fiend :tipup: :tipup:

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2005, 04:35 PM »
 i might by mistake drop the contents of a can of sardines in spring water in the shack hole when the fish dont bite . hehe.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Oct 26, 2005, 12:35 PM »
Try soaking the oatmeal in the juice from a can of sardines.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

trapperdirk

« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2005, 10:43 PM »
Actually chumming is allowed in Ontario and that includes cutbait and is widely practiced . It works very well too especially if you want to fish for ling at night . ;)

TD

Luke Ice Walker

« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2005, 07:40 AM »
Tambo and ReelCharacter,
To finally answer the question "what's a B-moth?"...Brown Moth Larvae AKA Waxworms. 

As for the chumming, I have heard it makes a tough bite, if the fish can get an easy, hook free meal because you keep feeding them.  Why would they waste the effort to actually work for their meal and get hooked. 

Perch = natural chum.   When you set the hook and reel one up fast enough, they cough up what they where eating and the rest of the perch go to town.  You can witness this on the vex also.
Later,
LIW

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2005, 12:20 AM »
I have heard that if you cook barley it will hang suspended in the water for some time and competitive fish like ciscos, whitefish and yellow perch can be drawn to the cloud, but it if you have a flasher it will affect it for some time. I have also heard that an Alika celster tablet dropped down the hole will attract fish with the bubbles it emits when dissolving, kind of like the Berkley bubble-up tablets. :)

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2005, 03:46 PM »
I dump the water from my bags of unthawed smelt down a couple of holes and it seems to work.. I live in NY and I have heaerd all sorts of things about chumming but have never got a concrete answer... I know alot of old timers do it.. They mash up smelt in water and sand, freeze it and drop it down the hole..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Chumming
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2005, 08:54 PM »
I know this has more then likely been ask before . But what do you think of chumming?  Should you chum alot  or a little . And what do you find works the best . We chum ,useing junk fish we catch in the summer plus sometimes we use old hamburger.
hook and cook

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Chumming
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2005, 11:14 AM »
can,t do it where i,m from but did you ever try sardines?

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 10, 2005, 12:25 PM »
can't chum the sweetwater in Maine.....but I chum religously in the salt for mackerel, tuna, sharks, blues, and bass.......CATFOOD works really well.............10 cents a can.....I get the pop off lids so you don't have to fool around with a can opener.....try it icefishing....I betcha it will work :thumbsup:

ps. get a women's laundry bag (white bag with holes).....fill it with a couple cans....it comes with a little rope

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 10, 2005, 06:22 PM »
dry dog food and tuna fish, put them in a big ziplok bag with some rocks to take it to the bottom and poke small and medium sized holes in the bag. the dog food slowly disolves and rises back up to the top and the tuna gives off a greasy look to attract fish, or you could use egg shells, i havnt had much luck with them but i hear others saying they work great.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 11, 2005, 06:59 AM »
Will perch go for grain?  I've got a ton of wheat, barley, lentils, peas, etc. for making groundbait for carp fishing and I wondered if it would be any good for icefishing.  I tried once last winter but it was a skunker of a day no matter where we went.  If wheat or lentils attracted crayfish, that ought to get the perch in, don't you think? 
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.