Author Topic: Fished the Kankakee  (Read 6233 times)

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fished the Kankakee
« on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:12 AM »
Bodeen and I hit the river thursday night for a few hours-nothing caught-talked to others and nothing much yet going on in this area.

Tom

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fished the Kankakee
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:14 AM »
Great pics Tom. Think it will be a couple more weeks. Al

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:16 AM »
LOL-right when I get off call again.
Tom

Offline 1lurker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:40 AM »
I was on the point next to the point in the pic on Thursday around 2:30 because someone was on the main point and caught 2 Pike (21" & 23") along the ice in 30 minutes.

Offline bluegillmaster2011

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2011, 10:49 AM »
I keep hearing about guys catchin walleye and pike in the kank, i know farther down stream from st joe county it gets bigger, but are there eyes or pike in it around st joe county? its not all that deep here and only about 50 feet wide.

Offline 1lurker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2011, 11:18 AM »
Yes both fish are there at the right time. Pike cruise through all the time and the walleye should be there soon but head back down stream after the spawn.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2011, 11:21 AM »
when would be a good time to fish for them? they spawn in early march dont they?

Offline Flat Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2011, 11:32 AM »
I was just wondering wear you all are talking bout fishing the kank at? I don't want exact spot. Just counties? General vicinity.
Lets go get em

Offline 1lurker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2011, 11:35 AM »
The eyes and pike I have caught so far this year are packed with eggs People don't want to deal with the snow and cold weather to fish the river at it's best which is now. The fish have the feedbags on to develop thier eggs to spawn soon, but you need to move around and fish slow to catch them. They are feeding heavily now but because of the water temp they don't move fast to eat, but take everything that is an easy meal. Jerk baits twitched and paused are hot now. Once the spawn starts they start to get lock jaw so go out now, move around and try different things and spots. When you catch 1 fish keep throwing to that exact spot again and again. the fish hold tight in holes in groups while traveling upstream. Good luck!

Offline 1lurker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2011, 11:37 AM »
10 mile road, the point at english lake, horseshoe bend, Teft boat launch, under HWY 49 bridge, Nipsco discharge by 49 bridge, to name a few.

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2011, 01:30 PM »
when would be a good time to fish for them?

they spawn in early march dont they?

Now.  Wont say how, why, or where i know, but now is your answer.  Yes i do mean the Kank. 

March?  Not necessarily.  Its temperature related, not time.  Here is a fairly good approximation.  38* and the male start.  42* and the females start and they fire up to 45, 45-55 is a so-so zone where you pick up alot of males hitting spawn sites but not so many females.  Then its a race to catch them before they disperse.  Walleye are not generally homebodies, even in lakes, even more so in rivers.  They can travel up to 200+ miles in a year.  This said, failing to watch the temps is the most common and costly error where walleye are concerned.  If you are waiting for a report from an area to say "it on" you likely will miss the run.

Knowing where more than one spawning area in a river or lake is massive because different areas warm up at different times.  In rivers it will be well back from the fast water out of the dam and work its way up to it following the temp changes.  More will be behind spillways and dams (manmade or not) because, quite simply, thats what they do, they travel as far up as possible before depositing their eggs.  Lakes are usually around a week or two behind rivers, but still  function much like the river.  The NE side of the lake will fire first, because it gets the most sun (we are north of the equator so its not the seeming 50/50) then move its way to the other side.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2011, 01:36 PM »
BTW  Nothing is hatching now so think big.  I would start with a large bait before all others.  This time of year my faves are large raps, and large minnows alone, spin rigged, or tipping a jig.

I wouldnt discount anything else but it is what it is.   No hatchlings = use adult bait.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2011, 03:32 PM »
thanks for all the info! I dont have school monday, so I think I might try it!

Offline countryboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Looks like the hodge to me

Offline DADDY-O

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:05 PM »
fished the river today. caught 1 small wally and a few small crappies. tossed them all back.   DADDY'O
SATCHMO 1965

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Saw 1 truck parked at the 49 bridge late this afternoon

Joe
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:02 AM »
Water temp coming in from 1 of the Creeks was 45 degrees, Rivers not that warm but may com on quick.
Fish-on guys.
Tom

JRSwillow

« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:49 AM »
thursday i caught my trophy walleye and musky the walleye was 10lbs 28 inches and she was fat fatter than a pro sized football!, and the musky was about four feet and maeby a little over 20, i had my scale but i forgot batteries! 

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:08 AM »
Where are the pics?

Offline asselin24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:34 AM »
thursday i caught my trophy walleye and musky the walleye was 10lbs 28 inches and she was fat fatter than a pro sized football!, and the musky was about four feet and maeby a little over 20, i had my scale but i forgot batteries! 

nice job. mind saying what river you caught these in. Dont need a stretch. Just curious.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:38 AM »
nice job. mind saying what river you caught these in. Dont need a stretch. Just curious.

Ummm...the thread title says FISHED THE KANKAKEE.....so my guess would be the Kankakee river.

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:06 AM »
Anyone happen to know what the water clarity is like or how high the river is? I looked at flow charts but I'm not familiar with what normal flows on the kank are this time of year. Was thinking of hitting the kank thursday and friday night, I'm assuming it will be fishable then and probably is now.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:28 AM »
Ummm...the thread title says FISHED THE KANKAKEE.....so my guess would be the Kankakee river.
hahahahahaha ;D

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:31 AM »
I have been fishing the Kankakee river for alot of my life and never seen or heard of musky caught in it.If they are there I would also like to know what stretch of the river they are in.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:45 AM »
X2

Offline 1lurker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2011, 12:03 PM »
I know there are bigger walleye in the Kankakee but in my 36 years I haven't heard of or seen a musky in there either! Do you know the difference between a musky and a Pike?

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2011, 12:15 PM »
Good job. I fished near state line bridge friday and was catching 20" crappie but forgot my camera. And of course they were too big to eat so I released them all

Offline Flat Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2011, 12:22 PM »
 :roflmao: :clap: :roflmao: I fished near state line bridge friday and was catching 20" crappie but forgot my camera. And of course they were too big to eat so I released them all
[/quote]   I love it.
Lets go get em

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Another fish story. Without pics I have a hard time believing. Just saying. In Indiana 20 inches I don't think so. They may not be all that great to eat. But, I bet they would look great on the wall.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2011, 02:25 PM »
Oh, by the way did I ever tell you about the 10 pound smallie I just caught out of the Kank. lmao

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.