Author Topic: Product reveiw  (Read 1672 times)

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Product reveiw
« on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Ok guys what new products or tactics did you add this year ?? And were they worth the money or the time ??

I added a Honda 420 rancher 4x4 and an fl-20

The Honda did a great job I did get stuck a few times but I never was a big problem getting it out and every time i got stuck it was in the slush . There were a few time I do think it did do some damage to our fishing because it was to easy to move if they were not biting by the time we thought they should be . But with stock tires and no chains I think did the job great .

The fl -20 was a big jump from the fl-8 that i was using before . You gotta love the zoom  :tipup:

Offline iceangler82

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Product reveiw
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:45 PM »
St Croix spring bobber, tungsten Fiskas (3mm mostly) and the Thermal Nanook clam. All great products. bobber and jig combination helped me catch more fish for sure! :thumbsup:
POPPIN TABS AND CATCHIN SLABS!!!

Offline asselin24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:00 PM »
nothing helped me catch fish this year. Everything I used was new though. This was my first year seriously ice fishing and had no gear of my own before the season.

Next year I will be getting some of the essentials. A sled, a Vex, and some water proof boots

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
Re: Product review
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Gaffight custom built rods, upgraded from Clam Scout to Pro which is MUCH better as far as room and seat comfort.  Tried the Shimano Sienna 500FD reels, but I don't care for the silent drag.  I prefer the Tica Cetus GV500's over the Shimano.  The Gaffight rods have an awesome spring bobber, sensitive tips, and a solid backbone.  The Frabill 4 LED adjustable light is great for the Pro, and I added two more for the Yukon.  Haven't tried 'em in the Yukon yet, but they are awesome in the pro. 

-Jeff

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:52 PM »
6" Nils hand auger. Sweet!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2011, 12:30 PM »
Adapter for cordless drill auger. Don't leave home without it. Don't remember if they were available last year???

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Eskimo power auger saved my shoulders and elbows this winter.  Traded Clam Guide for new Clam Kenai, made for easier dragging.  Also met a few IS members on the ice this year and had a good time.

Joe
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2011, 01:58 PM »
Skandia Tungsten jigs (size 16) - Works great , less wasted time waiting for the jig to free fall down to the active fish.  I removed the bead and little rubber bead holder, IMO those features are worthless.  Will definately stock up on more tungsten jigs next year, mainly the smaller 16, 18, 20 sizes.  Anything with green/chart combo works all the time.

Marcum LX5 -  I dislike the swing arm feature, if you are hole hopping and move to a hole with a mound of snow around the hole you have to either move the snow aside or adjust the stopper to get the tranducer submerged, which wastes time, and I seem to get more fish wrapped around the cord than when I used the Vex float.  The biggest thing I really dislike is the fact it will not fit in a 5 gallon bucket, when traveling light without the Scout I almost need an extra hand to carry 2 buckets, the auger, and flasher.  Other than those two dislikes it does what it is supposed to do, marks fish, colors are bright, no more struggling to see in the sunlight, really no difference than a Vex or any other flasher.

P90X - Started in the summer, dropped 29 lbs. in the 90 days, allowed me to get on thinner first ice.  Highly recommend.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:06 PM »
I added 6 Kewl Kustom tipups.  They were worth the time it took to build them and then some.  I have every confidence they will perform well when a fish actually hits one.  Sadly, haven't caught a pike on 'em yet, got a 1 1/2 year old son at home, been kind of hard to make free time with a full time job and trying to start a business and raising a family.  Not complaining, I'm truly lucky to be so busy, only wish I had some more fishing time....

at use:

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline iceman96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:22 PM »
i added a BUNCH of handtied flies and jigs but the best thing was an account on this site!  :)   :tipup:

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Started with the flies last year. They are definitely fish catchers. They have added many more fish to my bucket. A+++

Offline iceman96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:36 PM »
i just started so mine are pretty simple but they've caught me lotss of fish!

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Ice Hopper system.  2 bucket system with bracket for flasher....rod holders.....pouch for t'ducer.  Absolutely the best I've found for mobility(hole hopping) and saving my knees!

Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2011, 03:14 PM »
Nice set-up.

Offline Shawgill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2011, 04:25 PM »
Actic armor suit was a really good investment for me this year,I love it. Got a jet sled but didn't use it. Made the guitar string spring bobbers which  worked out very well.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2011, 05:31 PM »
HI Gang!
  Has anyone used or seen or used a Jiffy stealth electric ice auger.  I am taliking about the one who has its own battery.  I love Jiffy augers but would like a review on how a chipper blade works on an electrical power drive.  I don't see any demo electric augers for a jiffy either I also looked on you tube and nothing was listed.
  I am thinking about buying one but really need to see if it fits what I am looking for.  I see the Gators and they are very impressive.  I tried a drill on my 5" lazer and it fainle misserably and died halfway thru the first hole.  18 volt black and decker  $$cheap one lol.
  Let me know guys thanks!!
   Da-Roc

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2011, 05:46 PM »
Great post everybody keep them coming . I am glad to see all good reports with the tough economy nobody wants to buy something that does not work .

Did anybody buy the new jiffy that runs on the propane bottles ? How many holes can you get out of a bottle ?

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2011, 06:26 PM »
      I got myself a new shanty, the frabill 1 man commando. Nice seat ,not to heavy to pull, holds a lot of gear, you can stand up in it to take off your coat. My only complaint is the width. Not as much room as I like for a lantern. I have been using the frabill light bar it's Great.  I have been eyeballing the Otter small pro cottage shanty. It's much wider , they set the tent  sideways on the sled to give you the width.          I also got an Arctic armor plus suit this year. So far is been good. very comfortable .  It can be a little warm on mild days.   I got to try 2 different brand electric augers this year. SWEET!  I will have one of these one day, they are fantastic.   I'm not a fan of gas augers for IN fishing,  had one years back. noisy, gas smell on your hands, problems., lots of weight. Just my 2 cents.  Nice thread, keep the reports going. ,   Mark
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2011, 06:33 PM »
Ice Hopper system.  2 bucket system with bracket for flasher....rod holders.....pouch for t'ducer.  Absolutely the best I've found for mobility(hole hopping) and saving my knees!

(Image removed from quote.)

You've been watching to much Icemen!!  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:44 PM »
I bought 2 different shanty's this year. First I bought a Shappell 2.0 DX 2 man.  I love this shanty. I comes with a full padded bench seat and more than enough room for 2 adults and 1 child. Plus the storage under the bench seat cannot be beat for your ice rods. The only problem is the weight when I'm going solo. Second I bought a Frabill Commando 1 man shanty.  Love this one as well!! High Flags is right it is a little narrow, but the seat is awesome. I plan on purchasing the Shappell 1.5SP 1 man shanty just to try it, but the frabill seat is going to be hard to beat even though it's a bit narrow. The Shappell 1.5SP also has the tent set sideways to the sled for the added width. It's going to be a hard comparison. Whichever shanty I don't like I'll have to part with next year. Also definitely want a arctic armor suit for next year. Awesome posts by the way guys!!

Offline bradmoun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2011, 07:37 AM »
heck all i had money for was an otter sled and it works great slides over anything even concrete. hope to start making my own jigs this summer

Offline Philover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:01 AM »
This year I added a 420 rancher 4x4 with power steering, I was a little concerned with it being much smaller than most quads I had seen on ice, but bought it mainly because it's lighter. It really performed flawlessly. The deep snow and slush worried me a bit at the Maxi tourney but with a partner on the back, it went through everything encountered. Also this year, I added a new Ridgid hammer drill for the 5" auger, and purchased an Eskimo 8" Z51 Shark gas auger. The Ridgid drill is great with the lithium-ion batteries and has a lifetime warranty on all parts and service....highly recommend. I just got the Shark a couple of weeks ago so haven't fished with it yet, but did walk out and punch 20 or so holes, man that thing is a beast! It went through a foot of ice in seconds. A new Eskimo Quickfish 4 was purchased as well, love it for when I'm gonna be out all day and night. A pain to set up in the wind, but once up and anchored, it's pretty stable. My only complaint, is the roof hub is tearing around the center hub. Wind may have caused that, but I'll put a fender washer on it for next year. I also made a jig for my drill that puts the anchors into the ice and takes them out, it works superb. New minnow bucket with battery powered aerator works really well too although batteries don't last long.
Phil

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:08 AM »
Sounds great-got a friend that has chains on his ATV and will walk right thru anything-sounds like all you might ever need.Nice job.

quote author=Philover link=topic=188654.msg1839618#msg1839618 date=1298214110]
This year I added a 420 rancher 4x4 with power steering, I was a little concerned with it being much smaller than most quads I had seen on ice, but bought it mainly because it's lighter. It really performed flawlessly. The deep snow and slush worried me a bit at the Maxi tourney but with a partner on the back, it went through everything encountered. Also this year, I added a new Ridgid hammer drill for the 5" auger, and purchased an Eskimo 8" Z51 Shark gas auger. The Ridgid drill is great with the lithium-ion batteries and has a lifetime warranty on all parts and service....highly recommend. I just got the Shark a couple of weeks ago so haven't fished with it yet, but did walk out and punch 20 or so holes, man that thing is a beast! It went through a foot of ice in seconds. A new Eskimo Quickfish 4 was purchased as well, love it for when I'm gonna be out all day and night. A pain to set up in the wind, but once up and anchored, it's pretty stable. My only complaint, is the roof hub is tearing around the center hub. Wind may have caused that, but I'll put a fender washer on it for next year. I also made a jig for my drill that puts the anchors into the ice and takes them out, it works superb. New minnow bucket with battery powered aerator works really well too although batteries don't last long.
[/quote]
Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.