Author Topic: Bait Container Tip  (Read 22495 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Bait Container Tip
« on: Jan 13, 2005, 03:35 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you but I absolutely hate those little plastic or styrofoam cups that you get when you buy waxworms, mousies or some other sort of maggot.  The tops are always getting lost or cracked or the container itself gets crushed.  If that doesn't happen, then the tops invariably come off in my pockets and I have sawdust and grubs all over the place.  I happened across something this season that works pretty well.

There's a brand of breath mint out there called Ice Breakers.  While the mints are decent enough, the containers are wonderful for keeping grubs while you're out fishing.  The bottoms is a small tin and the top is plastic but it has two flip, hinged style openings.  They're a bit bigger around and shallower than a can of chew.  I simply fill them up from a bulk box of grubs, toss them in my pocket and away I go.  They work pretty well.

Just thought I would share. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Mad_Ital

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • H.Pocus. tidly wink, all tipups come up in a blink
Re: Bait Container Tip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2005, 04:36 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you but I absolutely hate those little plastic or styrofoam cups that you get when you buy waxworms, mousies or some other sort of maggot.  The tops are always getting lost or cracked or the container itself gets crushed.  If that doesn't happen, then the tops invariably come off in my pockets and I have sawdust and grubs all over the place.  I happened across something this season that works pretty well.

There's a brand of breath out there called Ice Breakers.  While the mints are decent enough, the containers are wonderful for keeping grubs while you're out fishing.  The bottoms is a small tin and the top is plastic but it has two flip, hinged style openings.  They're a bit bigger around and shallower than a can of chew.  I simply fill them up from a bulk box of grubs, toss them in my pocket and away I go.  They work pretty well.

Just thought I would share. 
Good idea. I use chewing tobacco containers. But Im sure mints taste better and cheaper. They also stack up pretty good.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2005, 06:31 PM »
I use those stack jars there called. I carry a variety of grub type baits for tipping. You can screw the jars into each other and keep them in your coat pocket. I take a small drill bit ,and drill small holes into the sides as breathing holes. The stack jars are nice, because you can see what is what in the containers, and there inexpensive, and durable.

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2005, 07:02 PM »
Hey Chris

I use the same thing for maggots, fits in my front pocket.

Sturgeon
Bad Day of Fishing is better than a good day of work!!!!

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2005, 07:06 PM »
I have found that the "Altoids" metal containers are perfect. Just rinse them out and punch a few holes in the top and bottom. A little pressure on one side opens the top without making a mess and it won't accidently open.
FTD

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2005, 08:10 PM »
I have found that the "Altoids" metal containers are perfect. Just rinse them out and punch a few holes in the top and bottom. A little pressure on one side opens the top without making a mess and it won't accidently open.
FTD

FTD:  I used the same thing (Altoids metal container) for alot of years until now.......Lindy came out with a new product called the "Grub Getter"   It has a built in divider that has holes in it.  When you shake, the sawdust collects to one side, leaving most of the grubs on the other side. This makes it real easy to pick them out.  I got it at Gander Mountain ($4.99).  It works great (no more spikes and sawdust in my pocket!) ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2005, 08:38 PM »
before you buy a grub getter,open it up and try the lid several times,i bought 2 and had to return them,the lids wont snap shut.when you do get a good one they work awsome.was told that alot were getting returned with this problem.been useing one for 23 days now with no problems,keeps spikes dry,not one dead spike since i started useing it.

stump

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2005, 08:42 PM »
Great ideas guys.....I have always used the old prescription bottles, they fit in my pocket nicely and don't pop open on their own.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2005, 08:43 PM »
before you buy a grub getter,open it up and try the lid several times,i bought 2 and had to return them,the lids wont snap shut.when you do get a good one they work awsome.was told that alot were getting returned with this problem.been useing one for 23 days now with no problems,keeps spikes dry,not one dead spike since i started useing it.

stump

Stump:  Same thing happened to me.  I called Lindy and they sent me one free of charge.  Worked great!
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

P Gottshall

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2005, 09:11 PM »
Excellent idea!  The larger opening is very convenient for grabbing bait through.  Nice to keep the bait from freezing by having in your pocket too.

Posted in the invention string, http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=17919.msg150078#msg150078

Paul

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2005, 12:43 PM »
FTD

Good idea. That is just what I was thinking as I started reading this thread. With three boys who all like their own brand of Altoids, I should have a couple of the tins around here somewhere.

I have also bought the 99 cent plastic compartment containers (from the dollar store) that they sell nuts and screws in. I have an assortment of hardware for home improvements "for free" and some jig, hook and lure boxes that fit nicely in the front jacket pocket.

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2005, 12:54 PM »
like like the bigger plastic cylinders with flip tops, dont know what they are used for, but i also put my egg sacs for steelhead in them too.

Offline Yello-Sno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2005, 01:15 PM »
I just pour my Waxies into my front Carhart pockets and let them run around in there. They seem quite happy with the freedom and warmth and never complain. When fishing is slow and I'm munching on some peanut butter crackers (you know, the fluorescent orange ones) they just gobble up the crumbs that fall down to them, go figure.
Anyway, if you believe this ... I have some realestate for sale right there where my tip-ups are set!

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:10 PM »
I just pour my Waxies into my front Carhart pockets and let them run around in there. They seem quite happy with the freedom and warmth and never complain. When fishing is slow and I'm munching on some peanut butter crackers (you know, the fluorescent orange ones) they just gobble up the crumbs that fall down to them, go figure.
Anyway, if you believe this ... I have some realestate for sale right there where my tip-ups are set!

That sounds like the one we told our wives about how we kept them little wiggly Mousies and Spikes from freezing before we put them on a hook. (We were young, and had a lot to learn about the married life back then) . . . They believed we did actually keep a few between cheek and gum at all times when ice fishing.

Took some time to get them to actually believe we were just pulling their leg. Took mine even longer before she would actually give me a kiss again. Needless to say I have learned a lot more about the married life since then . . . ;)

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:32 PM »
If you know any electricians ask them for their empty 3M electricical tape containers. I've been using them for over ten years without a problem. They are semi-clear, snap shut and all you have to do is drill a hole or two in the top.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:52 PM »
like like the bigger plastic cylinders with flip tops, dont know what they are used for, but i also put my egg sacs for steelhead in them too.
Those ones are of a lot higher quality than most of the other shops' tartar sauce containers. ;) (Sorry about the advertising, my bad :-\)

petedraggin

« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2005, 01:37 PM »
try asperin containers, with the childproof caps they work great!

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2005, 02:33 PM »
I bought a box of altoid mints the other day just so i could have the container and thought i would try the mints. :oHoly cow those things are the worst things i ever paid for to put in my mouth. I hope the container works good.
       Jim

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2005, 08:40 PM »
If you know any electricians ask them for their empty 3M electrical tape containers. I've been using them for over ten years without a problem. They are semi-clear, snap shut and all you have to do is drill a hole or two in the top.

Thats what we've been using for years. Virtually indestructible...unles s you run over it while playing hockey with said container... :wacko:

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2005, 11:41 PM »
I bought a box of altoid mints the other day just so i could have the container and thought i would try the mints. :oHoly cow those things are the worst things i ever paid for to put in my mouth. I hope the container works good.
       Jim

Imagine doing a "double header" (two at once)???

There is quite a variation between the different flavors. (I know second hand. Have some boys here at home that like several of the flavors). You should have one box of each flavor (color), so you can color code the contents . . .   :D

-Reelcharacter

Offline kron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2005, 05:41 AM »
i like to use the MMs flip top containers they work well. ::)
Its never over till the last cast.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2005, 08:39 AM »
Those are the same type thing that BigRed and I are talking about, very similar. ;)

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2005, 08:46 AM »
My wifes Tupperware rules for keeping spikes but she doesn't know that.
packerbacker
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

iceman480

« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2005, 01:04 PM »
I use a plastic chew can. Just wash it out and put them in there it dont break spill. Fits in pocket easily. But there are a lot of things that work well.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2005, 06:50 PM »

Kron,

Sorry, but am going to go wayyyyy off topic for a minute . . .

Tried to Google surf some, to find out what the flip top M&M containers looked like, have not seen them before. After several unsucessful tries went right to the M&M site. Still haven't seen what the container looks like. Found you can custom imprint M&M's with a "small"  :) message.

For my graduating senior, I may do up a few for his party . . .
(Too sort of keep this on topic) You could send some to your favorite fishing partner . . .

"I catch"  "More Fish"
"You are"  "A keeper"
"What"  "A Whopper"

You can see them at:
http://us.mms.com/us/about/products/mymms/

There could be some interesting possibilities . . . ::)

-Reelcharacter

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2005, 08:28 PM »
I just bought a grub getter. I noticed that it does not have any holes in the top. Is this OK or should I put a few in it?

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2005, 08:40 PM »
My wifes Tupperware rules for keeping spikes but she doesn't know that.
packerbacker

Same here. I use the small flat ones and she doesn't know that they are missing.

They fit flat in your pocket, never crack, they won't pop open when you drop em, and the flat ones give you a big enough opening to easily find your bait.(and they look like food when I keep them in the fridge)   

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2005, 08:52 PM »
i forgot to add, the reason i like the flip-top mini m&m style containers is that with one hand i can get the container out of my pocket, pop it open, shake a couple out, close the container, and put it back in my pocket - again, all with one hand - when the bite is hot it is a HUGE timesaver for me.

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2005, 09:14 PM »
Bigred -

Same reason I like them.  I can unhook the fish and bait the hook without ever taking my right hand off the jig.  That, and the fact that I have a good excuse for eating m&m's.

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2005, 09:31 PM »
Bigred -

Same reason I like them.  I can unhook the fish and bait the hook without ever taking my right hand off the jig.  That, and the fact that I have a good excuse for eating m&m's.

kc17

Still want to see what these M&M containers look like . . .
Just have to remember when you are out on the ice, which pocket has the M&M's and which one the Spikes -
- a mouthfull of M&M's good, a mouthfull of Spikes . . .  :sick:

-Reelcharacter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.