The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Can minnows survive in tap water?  (Read 21933 times)

Offline MassIce14

• Team IceShanty Regular
Can minnows survive in tap water?
« on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:27 PM »
I've got some leftover minnows that have survived since since the weekend. I'm thinking I should change the water, but not sure if they can survive in tap water???? Any tips?

Offline JFeen82

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Can minnows survive in tap water?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:28 PM »
Prob not, buy some stuff at the pet store that takes the chlorine out of the water.. then they'll be good.

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:29 PM »
ive done it, but ur supposed to let the water sit for a period of time before putting the shiners in. there is a small amount of chlorine it tap whater along with other stuff that can kill them. u can get start right water treatment at walmart or petco that will remove the chlorine. otherwise i think u let the water sit in a bucket for like 24 hours or so and ur good.
"give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Offline MassIce14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I'm actually surprised they are still kicking. That blue water from the bait shop works wonders I guess.

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:44 PM »
I change out my tank water with city water. Tank had about 20 gallons and everyother day I drain and refill 5 to 10 gallons. Been doing it all winter and they are still swimmin. 12 to 24 hrs will also leach out any clorine as stated earlier.

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:01 PM »
ive done it, but ur supposed to let the water sit for a period of time before putting the shiners in. there is a small amount of chlorine it tap whater along with other stuff that can kill them. u can get start right water treatment at walmart or petco that will remove the chlorine. otherwise i think u let the water sit in a bucket for like 24 hours or so and ur good.
  Yes  let it  sit  24  and  yer  good

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:16 PM »
Tap water is fine if you let it sit for a couple days keep it cold I use U2 pro formula (BPS has it) . Its a  concentrated liquid (1/2 oz treats 30 gals) and does everything to promote health in your bait. I used to have a nice tank when i lived in mass  all goldens and a few  suckers :'(

no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline shanedoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:24 PM »
Get some AquaSafe from any pet store that sells fish supply's. It takes all the bad stuff out of tap water.

Offline SilverCityJiggerNut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • PBs: 4.02 LM,3.15 PICK,1.02 YP
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:54 PM »
Just rember....aqua safe and other "pet" store treamnets are not intended for human consumption.....fish eat treated bait and so on and so on.  Chlorine and chloramines actually prohibit fish from absorbing o2.  They choke / sufficate if levels are too high.  You can let water sit and chlorine evap or you can help it along by adding your own air supply.  Just double pump cap vs amount of water.  Years ago i used a livewell treatment called BASS Rx....not sure if it still around for i have not tourney fished in 10 years.....this is like prozac  meets gatorade for fish.  Most bait / fish death is due to stress not tap water.  Never changed more than 10% of your water at any given time this too causes stress due things like temp and conditioning.  Hope it helps
It's your story...............TE LL IT!!!!!!

Offline rickyriged

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Obsessed.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:11 AM »
yes i keep shiners in 5 gallon bucket

with a air stone like you use in a fish tankand change water 2 times a week
with water straight from tap
i will say having much better results keepingshinners alive with air stone
 and keeping mydoughter away from them ;D ;D ;D
:) Ill be home soon.:)

Offline steepfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:23 AM »
Wal-Mart has 5 gallon filters that run on air pumps and have replaceable cart.  for around $10.  I have been using four this season in buckets, so I can feed the fish, and not screw up my big tank. 

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Based on the suggestion of the folks at Petco I bought some water conditioner called "BettaSafe".  They are alive a day later so I'll assume it works ok!  1.69 ounces for $2.99 or so and it treats 100 gallons of water.  Does anybody feed their shiners if they are around for more than a week or two? 

Good luck!
Ctown

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:37 AM »
dont feed them. itll dirty up the tank or bucket u have them in. ive kept bait for weeks without giving them food.
"give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Offline rickyriged

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Obsessed.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:39 AM »
Based on the suggestion of the folks at Petco I bought some water conditioner called "BettaSafe".  They are alive a day later so I'll assume it works ok!  1.69 ounces for $2.99 or so and it treats 100 gallons of water.  Does anybody feed their shiners if they are around for more than a week or two? 

Good luck!
Ctown
nope when i go out i like to have 3 dozen shiners and what ever is left over i try to keep
at the end of day thay come of hook and back in the bucket i have shinners with up to 3 hook spots on there backs so those are 3 weeks old
and just as active as the ones that have no hook hools
probubly different if you keep a supply for the season
:) Ill be home soon.:)

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:41 AM »
I have zero problems and all my fish get tap (city) water.

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:42 AM »
Ok cool thanks for the tip!  Wasn't sure either way.  The fish I have had die lately seem to be due to injury or the nasty fungus one supplier from Western MA brought with his Large sized shiners. I took all the bait out of my usual bucket.  Washed it well with a chlorine wash (2 cap fulls of bleach with a few gallons of hot water) and then set it back up with new water and just the healthy looking fish.   Wonder of my airstone is infected as well?  Uhhhg I hope NOT?

They seem to be doing ok now.  Hate when a supplier brings ICK and then we all get infected after buying their bait.   

Ctown

Offline beavercreekoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:45 AM »
I bought a bucket of fatheads 12 days ago.  They froze almost solid once, thawed them out, changed the water (tap water) twice since and they are doing fine.  But I've found fatheads to be tougher than the average minnow.

Offline Jay Fat City

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Dummy Out on the Ice By Himself
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:06 AM »
I bought a bucket of fatheads 12 days ago.  They froze almost solid once, thawed them out, changed the water (tap water) twice since and they are doing fine.  But I've found fatheads to be tougher than the average minnow.

I totally agree. Bought a couple of scoops of fatheads around MLK day and still have some of them right now. My bait bucket also froze up solid, and I lost three of them. I was losing the bigger ones, one each day, last week.

Jay
  <=== On my car, on my sled, on my soul!

Offline Squeaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2011, 11:00 AM »

Agreed.....tried and true; this works.   ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.