Author Topic: how to repair holes in a portable  (Read 7813 times)

Offline seansean1444

• Team IceShanty Regular
how to repair holes in a portable
« on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:08 PM »
how do u guys fix this. over the summer some mice shewed some holes in my portabel how do u guys repair these holes all help is appreciated.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: how to repair holes in a portable
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:13 PM »
Go to your local Fabric store(send the g/f or wife if your shy) and get some iron on patches, it comes in most colors.  Wmart has it too in the sewing section.   If you know someone with a sewing machine there's another option.  Time consuming, but doable.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:20 PM »
Also try Weldwood contact cement.  Brush it on the area of your shanty you want to repair and let it dry.  Take the fabric you intend to use as a patch and cut it to the same size area you put the contact cement on.  Put the contact cement on the patch and let that dry.  When the contact cement is dry on the shanty and the patch stick them together.  Works great, but you only get once chance.  Once the two surfaces with cement come together there is no moving or sliding them to line them up.  I also repair Gore-tex stuff this way too.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:36 PM »
shoe goo, sportsmans goo, (all the same different tube) works really well. It's kind of messy but it is almost rubber and somewhat pliable once it dries which is a plus in the cold. and it's pretty cheap. Cut a patch a little larger than your hole, keep the corners rounded instead of sharp 90*. Almost cut shapes more like ovas than squares. Then, put shoe goo on around the hole out a little more than the area the patch will cover, then apply some goo to the patch, and apply the patch. You can move it a little when you apply it. This method works really well. I had to do some patching on my previous portable about 4 yrs ago and when I took it out of storage this fall before I sold it and inspected the tarp, the patches were good as new and it looked like i had just glued them. Good luck.... darn mice!!!

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:42 PM »
I use this stuff to repair my work clothes(jeans and welding greens), I go thru a pair of pants in 2-3 weeks.Try and use the same material as you are repairing.Good stuffhttp://www.tearmender.com/
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline eyefish2

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You can never make up for a day of missed fishing
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:10 PM »
I have repaired burn holes on my portable shack by hand sewing a new patch over the hole and then used silicone around the edges to keep the stitching from pulling loose.  Does not look the greatest but very functional and has held up for years.

I also use silcone to patch the small holes and 1" cuts.

Offline chasin eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:37 PM »
I had the wind blow the canvas against my heater of a brand new Clam Yukon.  I called the customer service line for Clam and they sent me 3 big patches free of charge.  Don't know what type of portable you have, but it may be worth a call to their customer service line.  At least the fabric will match....Good luck.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:07 PM »
  Got a couple of holes in my old suitcase style shanty....  Went to the camping section and bought some Nylon Repair Tape....costs a couple of bucks and has strips of three different colors.  But it on two years ago and it still holds up great!

Jim

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:18 PM »
Pool liner repair kit,costs a couple$ but its one and done.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:40 AM »
Duct tape.  My HT is black, and I used black tape.  Cheap and easy, it lasts the season.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline JJZFlash

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • sun rise at the bait shop
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2011, 08:15 AM »
heres what I used. the black hole patches.  www.justasign.com     one on each side hit them with heatgun/ hairdrier so far so good . JJZFlash   ;D

Offline burtbomberz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2011, 08:49 AM »
just patched mine with the tear mender stuff metioned earlier...all it is is liquid latex that you put on a patch...only problem is it dried white and I was kind of messy patching my BLACK tent...used a hunk of black canvas off an old cheap wallet...matched well...also patched the inside just to be safe...it is on a hub shanty and did not want cut spreding...held up this weekend  ;D

Offline benny4117

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Fishing
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:45 AM »
good suggestions...thnx all

Offline jaysun23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2011, 11:04 AM »
I use nylon tent patches and McNett Seam Grip.  The Seam Grip is amazing, that, Twinkies and cockroaches may be all that survives a nuclear blast. 

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2011, 01:12 PM »
if you find a similar fabric, just get a can of 3m spray on rubber adhesive at home depot. its what i put the convertible top on with on my dodge dakota truck, tops been glued on thru 4 winters now, would be fine for a shanty and easy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.