The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice Gator Auger Anyone?  (Read 10788 times)

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Gator Auger Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 03, 2013, 12:55 PM »
I Would maybe consider a new one (seeing as I hear they have new owners), but never an old one! I made the mistake of buying one of those paperweights a couple of years ago. What a piece of junk that was! Bad power head & even worse, the owner of ice gator lied through his teeth about the problems they were having. :(

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 03, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Ive been out with Yo Adrien quite a few times and have used his. I will absolutely say its the best auger Ive ever used, and I LOVE my Jiffy Pro4. Its faster than anything Ive ever used and of course no noise. I cant recall the blades he has on his but it literally sucks itself down through the ice. It really is an amazing auger.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 03, 2013, 01:21 PM »
 ;D ;D I have to agree with Scott!!   
Dick

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 03, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Hi All, I too am new to the forum. Been ice fishing for many years and finally caught my first laker last season, what a thrill! Lots of hours/fish, but well worth it!

I've watched this video
and it sure is impressive. I have a 30+lb, 30+yrs old Eskimo model 2000. I've been thinking about the same auger to replace my old timer! Weight is the key for me. Do they just sell the power head or does it come with an auger too?

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 03, 2013, 01:36 PM »
You just buy the powerhead through them, then you purchase the blade assembly of your choice for it, within their specs. Jiffy blades dont work as they spin backwards apparently, Ive never paid attention to the spin direction.

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 03, 2013, 02:07 PM »
You just buy the powerhead through them, then you purchase the blade assembly of your choice for it, within their specs. Jiffy blades dont work as they spin backwards apparently, Ive never paid attention to the spin direction.

So could you put a nils head on it? I'm just curious, I dont think I could give up my 10 inch (nils only does an 8) with all the pike fishing. I had to take a big one through an 8 a couple years ago and it certainly makes things interesting if there is a lot of ice!

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 03, 2013, 02:20 PM »
These are what they offer for the extension shafts:
Lazor/Mora Hand Auger Adaptor
Fin Bore III Hand Auger Adaptor
Eskamo Hand Auger Adaptor
Nils Auger adaptor

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #37 on: Dec 03, 2013, 02:32 PM »
I've had my Gator for 4 years.  The first year the Attacker II came out.  It came with the SLA battery pack and it was heavy but it did the job better than any other power auger.  I've never had an issue with it.  I've spoken, personally, with the designer, owner, builder of the IceGator.  Greg and his family are great, honest folks.  Last season I purchased the Lithium Battery pack for mine through one of his dealers.
Power head with Lithium battery is 22.5 lbs., on a certified scale.  I use an 8" Nils auger on mine and that adds another 8 lbs. to the total weight.  Still not a "lightweight" but I can manage it.  ;D
IceGator sells only the powerhead.  You have to supply the auger.  You get an adapter with the powerhead, you specify the auger when you make the purchase.  You will also get a top quality charger.  Last I knew he was recommending Nils and/or Finbore augers (8" or less).
FYI - the owner(s) have not changed!
Follow the owner's manual/guide and you will have no problems.  They are the best, fastest, stock auger out there.  Treat it correctly and it will be what you want - the best.
Jiffy turns/cuts opposite direction of others.  I don't think they recommend a "chipper" blade auger anyways.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Dec 03, 2013, 05:53 PM »
I also agree with above post and I've had not had a problem with mine and mine is one with the push buttons. Buttons stuck once but a dab of dielectric grease and never had an issue again.  This year I upgraded to the attacker 11 with the li ion battery  and passing the older one down to my kids use  I can't wait to drill thru 3+ feet of ice with this new one,  great product IMO
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:20 AM »
How come they got run off ice shanty if they are so great?
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #40 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:27 AM »
How come they got run off ice shanty if they are so great?

???  They are a current sponsor. I was on the phone with Greg, the owner, this morning.  Ordered an updated switch and a new adapter for a Finbore auger that I want to try.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2013, 12:35 PM »
Run off?  Doubt that they are still a sponsor here...

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2013, 01:07 PM »
They just came back this year under the new ownership, they were run off after too many people were harassing them about their poor customer service 2 seasons ago.

Hopefully the new owner runs a tight ship, because the electric augers are probably the future and I'm sure with the right product he could do very well.

I'd love an electric auger.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #43 on: Dec 04, 2013, 01:19 PM »
They just came back this year under the new ownership, they were run off after too many people were harassing them about their poor customer service 2 seasons ago.

Hopefully the new owner runs a tight ship, because the electric augers are probably the future and I'm sure with the right product he could do very well.

I'd love an electric auger.

You are mistaken - they are NOT under new ownership.  ;D  Greg and Dee Peebles are the family owners of IceGator; always have been.  Greg designed and built the IceGator himself.

Some people were harassing them!  Those that had problems and many of those problems were "self-induced".  :P

If you read all of the posts/reports, there were plenty supporting the Gator.  Not really much different than any other product - some have problems and those that do cry the loudest.

If you want more information - PM me and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts on what problems there were, the causes and resolutions.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Dec 04, 2013, 05:52 PM »
You 100% right on the ownership  still run by great people. You beat me to it!  They were innovated and have made the fastest commercial power head on the market. There are many out there and all us owners will let ya try it. Plus sooo quiet and no mess. And with the older one you had extra battery power to run your fish finder tv's, radios ect!  Never let me down

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:50 AM »
 the way mine arrived it might as well have been a paper weight...then i couldn't get ahold of anyone at icegator...for a month or more.  every electrical connection was shoddy, buttons stuck, battery wiring fried, made in china scooter battery charger didn't work...i'm sure there was something else but i can't look up my old posts since they were all deleted...

after i repaired the thing on my own dime, it was a beast and never let me down.  could drill 16-18 holes through +30" ice...actually had a couple guys around here purchase them after seeing and using mine.  i've got two new batterys sitting around so maybe i'll get the old girl going again this season.

i always hoped someone would buy icegator and take the product to the next level but maybe ion has beat them to it.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 08, 2013, 11:13 AM »
I can't believe Ion is advertising they are the first electric auger on the ice.... I have seen the gator in action and would take one in a second. Super fast and lots of holes to be drilled with a 6" I use. The lithium head would be great.
Fishin red lines

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #47 on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:10 PM »

i always hoped someone would buy icegator and take the product to the next level but maybe ion has beat them to it.

The ION is not even in the same class of auger drive.  I was right beside one about a week ago. Can you say S-L-O-W?

It's hard for me to believe your story of how you were unable to contact the folks at IceGator.  I have never, once, had an issue.  Always answer the phone or call me back.  ???

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:11 PM »
A fishin buddy has one and they are by far the fastest auger I have used.  He has had it for about 4 yrs with no problems, we fish all day and have never ran out of battery.  Even drilled some holes for a couple guys that came out on a -10 degrees morning and their gas unit wouldn't start.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Dec 09, 2013, 10:21 AM »
The ION is not even in the same class of auger drive.  I was right beside one about a week ago. Can you say S-L-O-W?

The Ion has a slower RPM than the Gator. So the gator will cut faster. But your talking only a couple seconds.

I do think you will get more holes out of the Ion as it has a 40v Li-Ion battery vs the 29v Li-Ion the gator has. I dont see anything bigger on the gator site.
I was able to punch 80 holes in one trip with my 6in auger on my Ion thru 13in of ice last year. And still had battery left.

The gator is also about 8-10 lbs heavier than the Ion. I know my Ion with my 6in Strikemaster  auger on it weighs exactly 20lbs.
There is also price, where the gator+an auger will run you $125-$150 more than the Ion.

Ion is also made by Eskimo, a reputable and large company known for good customer service and products.

All that being said, the Gator has been around for a while and proven to last. The Ion is new last year.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #50 on: Dec 09, 2013, 12:15 PM »
The Ion has a slower RPM than the Gator. So the gator will cut faster. But your talking only a couple seconds.

I do think you will get more holes out of the Ion as it has a 40v Li-Ion battery vs the 29v Li-Ion the gator has. I dont see anything bigger on the gator site.
I was able to punch 80 holes in one trip with my 6in auger on my Ion thru 13in of ice last year. And still had battery left.

The gator is also about 8-10 lbs heavier than the Ion. I know my Ion with my 6in Strikemaster  auger on it weighs exactly 20lbs.
There is also price, where the gator+an auger will run you $125-$150 more than the Ion.

Ion is also made by Eskimo, a reputable and large company known for good customer service and products.

Funny guy  - not exactly a timed test setup but you get the idea.  - More like 10 seconds longer for the ION.  And it ain't about money - for me anyway.

ION's advertising "the first electric auger on the market"?  Right! 

End of the video - the ION is definitely slowing down while the gator is still ripp'n!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ChMsOpOlQ

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:37 PM »
Funny guy  - not exactly a timed test setup but you get the idea.  - More like 10 seconds longer for the ION
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ChMsOpOlQ

The test wasnt exactly apples to apples with the gator using a Lazer auger.

However to your point, in the video the Gator punched thru the ice 4 seconds faster than the Ion.

I would be nice to have a constructive conversation regarding this new tech, as it is clearly not going anywhere.
In an attempt to keep this thread on track I'll just ignore DRock 's comments.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #52 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:14 PM »
In the video, it was at least 2 holes for the Ice Gator for every one with the Ion.  29 volts versus 40 volts is apple and oranges.  It's about the amperage.  The Gator OBVIOUSLY has the advantage.  The Ion wasn't the first electric auger on the ice, regardless of what Eskimo says.  Strikemaster has made one for years.  Keco was probably the first, having put one on the ice roughly 40 years ago.  And at the end of the video, the Ion is running out of juice.  The Gator is still going strong.

<{{{{°>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #53 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:23 PM »

However to your point, in the video the Gator punched thru the ice 4 seconds faster than the Ion.

I would be nice to have a constructive conversation regarding this new tech, as it is clearly not going anywhere.
Well, I will admit that a "fair" test would be difficult to organize but: the IceGator is clearly superior in every aspect but weight, and that (the weight) is what bothers me right now.  The difference, in that video, was more than 4 seconds the way I saw it.  I have ordered an adapter /extension from IceGator to use my 6" Finbore Micro auger.  It, the gator, will likely tear it apart. I will see.  Might be worth the weight advantage.  ;)  I truly like the ION's design but like the performance (which is really negligible in the real world of drilling a few holes in the ice) of the IG.  The ION would definitely be a different machine with a FInbore or Nils auger on it.  Would be an interesting MOD.  Also, I don't know what the weight of that battery pack is but carrying 2 of them would likely offset the battery life of the IG.

As  DRock mentioned there is way more to it than voltage.  The battery pack that IG is using is likely 3-4 times the size of the ION's.  Just say there are a LOT of variables in this equation.

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:23 PM »

I am just trying to stop people from thinking it is OK to overvolt their motors in an attempt to get a longer lasting battery.

I would really hate to see someone brick their brand new auger.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:25 PM »
It's hard for me to believe your story of how you were unable to contact the folks at IceGator.  I have never, once, had an issue.  Always answer the phone or call me back.  ???

the excuse i got was they were on a "religious retreat".  a month later i got told the issues were due to abuse and i gave up and fixed it on my own.  good product, terrible business.  end of story.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #56 on: Dec 10, 2013, 05:17 AM »
the excuse i got was they were on a "religious retreat".  a month later i got told the issues were due to abuse and i gave up and fixed it on my own.  good product, terrible business.  end of story.

Well, I can believe that excuse.  They are certainly capable of closing shop for that purpose.  That would not bother me in the least.  I have respect for those with stout religious beliefs.  Run into them quite often around this area so I'm used to it.

Sorry you had so much trouble and glad you were able to fix the problems on your own.  Probably what I would do in those circumstances.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Dec 10, 2013, 06:59 AM »
Only have been able to have informal / wait till another user starts drilling and kinda race them.  As every time a drilling contest comes up everyone backs off as they know the gator punches a hole quicker   

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Dec 10, 2013, 07:40 AM »
There is no doubt the Gator is a faster cutter.

That video is obviously slanted towards the Gator. at the 1:22 mark the gator punches thru, at the 1:26 mark the Ion Punches thru.
The guy operating the Gator takes two quick steps back and is drilling again in 3 seconds at 1:25
The guy operating the Ion takes 6 SECONDS to trudge over and into position to start the next hole at 1:32

Take the operators out of the equation and the Gator punches thru in about 4-5 seconds and the Ion in about 8-9 Seconds.
Use the same auger, and we may see it a little closer..

As for the Ion dying at the end, with how slanted this was, i wouldnt be surprised if the battery was half dead to start.. The time to drill a hole didn't vary much for the ion start to finish.

Its funny that this guy claims the Gator is the first electric ice auger in the beginning lol.. The length of ownership changes as well from 4yrs at the start to 3 years at the end lol..

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Dec 10, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Any way you look at it it's the same thing between vex owners and marcum...  Gotta love what ya invest in.. I'm a repeat  owner is all I can say.  Use what makes ya happy.  Come on jan 1 so I can be sure I like this new one!   Then kids can have the old one!    Only down fall with the new one is the youngest kid won't be able to use my new icegator battery in his battery operated John Deere tractor or gator!  A win for me!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.