The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice Gator Auger Anyone?  (Read 10787 times)

Offline WANNABFISHIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Gator Auger Anyone?
« on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:56 AM »
Has anyone tried the 10"  icegator, and if so what brand auger did you use.

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
Re: Ice Gator Auger Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:51 AM »
You would think that they would form a partnership with an auger manufacturer and offer a complete package instead of forcing consumers to piece it all together on there own. Their logo is titled IceGator Ice Augers yet they don't even sell an auger, just the drive.

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:55 AM »
Honestly, from what ive heard, i wouldnt go with one. id get a traditional auger.
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Honestly, from what ive heard, i wouldnt go with one. id get a traditional auger.
what have you heard?.....cause i haven't heard anything less then awesome about them !!!!

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:39 AM »
I used one for my first time 2-3 weeks ago and will now purchase one.  I used a 8" and we cut 40 holes before having to change batteries.  They are heavier but they cut the ice in no time with no effort required.  I loved it and can't wait for my pennies to add up.

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:41 AM »
I used one for my first time 2-3 weeks ago and will now purchase one.  I used a 8" and we cut 40 holes before having to change batteries.  They are heavier but they cut the ice in no time with no effort required.  I loved it and can't wait for my pennies to add up.

just 40 holes per charge? i figured they were good for around 100 or so holes per....
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline Shepabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:08 PM »
Why would anyone want to own anything but a Nils Master with a Tanaka powerhead???  Oh Yeah, that's because they're sold out all the time and so people have to settle for something less!!  ;D

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2011, 01:17 PM »
heard they are no better than a regular drive, and cost MUCH more
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2011, 01:38 PM »
heard they are no better than a regular drive, and cost MUCH more
you mean besides being 36 v and only 22 lbs   @)

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:09 PM »
you mean besides being 36 v and only 22 lbs   @)

never used one, so i cannot truly judge. but you could never get me to use one over a jiffy model 30. BEST auger you can find.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:15 PM »
never used one, so i cannot truly judge. but you could never get me to use one over a jiffy model 30. BEST auger you can find.

AND they don't cost 600 bucks for the powerhead alone !
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:18 PM »
i have a model 30 and have used the older gator and can only imagine the new one being even better and if i had the money i would buy one in a heart beat .....might take a while getting used to no gas smell or gas on hands though  ;D

Offline lonmower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:25 PM »
Anyone tried the jiffy propane auger? The description sounds good, and I think they can drill about 150 holes on one small propane bottle? I wonder how well they work when it is really cold.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:28 PM »
Anyone tried the jiffy propane auger? The description sounds good, and I think they can drill about 150 holes on one small propane bottle? I wonder how well they work when it is really cold.
ive not tried first hand but, a dealer said they dont work so good in the cold unless you keep your bottle warm

Offline Liter Of Cola

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:30 PM »
ive not tried first hand but, a dealer said they dont work so good in the cold unless you keep your bottle warm

Hope that's not true.  I saw a couple locally and they look pretty nice. 

"dont work so good in the cold" is a BAD feature for an ice auger.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Hope that's not true.  I saw a couple locally and they look pretty nice. 

"dont work so good in the cold" is a BAD feature for an ice auger.
i cant imagine the dealer making that up .....it sure wont help his sales any  :-\

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:13 AM »
How about a jiffy electic they look pretty nice.  You get the jiffy and electric all in one.  I may go this route as they seem like a good bargain

Offline northwoodstraveler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is good...
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:01 PM »
Why would anyone want to own anything but a Nils Master with a Tanaka powerhead???  Oh Yeah, that's because they're sold out all the time and so people have to settle for something less!!  ;D
X2  :clap:  :thumbsup:
The surest way for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing

Offline WANNABFISHIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2011, 07:02 AM »
Ive seen the 8" icegator used and it worked great, wondering if the 10" was just as good.

I already own 2 10" jiffy legends plus an old 9" and they are great augers. If i needed four
gas augers i would definitely buy another of the old model jiffy legends.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2011, 07:46 AM »
people that dont own an icegator are the ones that complain the most!   Resistent to change!     Ive had one for over 3 years now and am truely happy about them  they do what I want when I want with no problems   the only problem I have had was going to use it  and it was gone!!!  as some one else was using it   I do plan on an 10" icegator  but may also leave the 8" bit on it all depends!  the new owner posted facts about the icegators  that the failure rate was less than .05%   
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2011, 07:56 AM »
 the new owner posted facts about the icegators  that the failure rate was less than .05%  

"Facts"?

No, merely a posting by him with no documenting numbers to support the claim.

I could say as "fact" that I fill a bucket with 12 inch perch 99.5% of the time (giving me a .05% failure rate) I hit the ice as well, and that has as much validity as his statement about the ".05% failure rate".

Makes me wonder if he counts all those melted switches as "failures", then.

There have been at LEAST 50 different comments about melted switches (not to mention the "other" issues), so at a "failure rate" (on switches alone) of .05%, it would equate to 10,000 units sold.

Now, factor in the units that "just quit working", "batteries that died", "stuck in reverse and tore my arm off", etc., etc and the total number of units sold to meet the ".05%" criteria increases even more.

Somehow, I have my doubts.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:42 PM »
New owner? 

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2011, 11:44 PM »
The price of the Ice Gator is really the only unappealing feature. 40 to 60 holes through 28 inches of ice is way more than I would ever need.

Offline retiredfirechief

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:23 AM »
After watching them and trying them out over the last 3 years  I believe they are at the point with this 10" model that they are going to be great  and would be an excellent tool in the fire service  Over my years I have watch all the gas tools fail due to gas problems   Rural fire depts having to make their own water supply would benefit from the icegators  I wonder if they even have thought of this idea

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Before going out and buying one, do yourself a favor and read up on Icegator.

Offline retiredfirechief

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2011, 06:28 PM »
I for one have been reading up on them  and not just on here

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:19 PM »
I for one have been reading up on them  and not just on here
If you have read up on them and are still interested in buying an Icegator,you have a bigger set of ba**s then I do.RECHIEF I don't care what you buy,if terrible customer service,problems with burned out switches,and no response to phone calls doesn't bother you, enjoy your GATOR.

Offline retiredfirechief

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:02 AM »
If you have read up on them and are still interested in buying an Icegator,you have a bigger set of ba**s then I do.RECHIEF I don't care what you buy,if terrible customer service,problems with burned out switches,and no response to phone calls doesn't bother you, enjoy your GATOR.
One thing I have read but not 100% sure of  you dont own one  but you can constantly advise people on them  interesting

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2011, 06:11 PM »
what have you heard?.....cause i haven't heard anything less then awesome about them !!!!

Well, I've owned one for a few weeks and I wish I would have read some more about them before I spent the cash!  Here's my post: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=190132.0

And here's a post with a few consumers that Icegator won't respond to:  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=189954.0
Timmer
Most of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2013, 12:40 PM »
Hey all.. new to the posts here (well, posting anyway) and everyone has such great insight and feedback.. So, figured I'd throw this out there and sorry if this subject has been posted many times before... but, I'm strongly considering getting the Ice Gator LI auger. I have a Nil's 8" hand auger now but likely will pick this up as from what I can see, they've come a long way by insulating the setup, the LI battery and very light-weight.

Any feedback or input on those who have this or used one would be great.
thanks
j

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.