Author Topic: Lanterns????  (Read 14032 times)

Offline oldtowncoleman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lanterns????
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2011, 11:49 AM »
"Dual Fuel" lanterns are a bit more expensive if purchased new and the generators are more expensive to replace.  Coleman has ALWAYS made lanterns that run on "white gas" which is (and always has been) unleaded auto fuel.  Camping fuel is much better than pump gas due to the lack of additives--it also does not product as much odor.  Camping fuel does also extend generator life but if you get quality pump gas it will be negligible.

Newer lanterns, such as NorthStar, 282, 285, 286, 288, 290 and 295 have plastic internals and internal rubber seals which is problematic.  Your standard "vintage" 220/228 or 200 series lanterns have no rubber inside and the internals are brass and will last longer than all of us.  

As for the vintage catalytic heaters, they are great but unless you're willing to do a little "restoration" they may present low-heat problems for you.  There are two areas where a strong seal must be present.  First is the filler cap and if the heater has the original, or the original gasket if a 3-piece cap, it will cause problems.  That seal must be solid so ensure you have a new cap or cap gasket.  Second is a rubber o-ring between the fount/tank and the wick assembly.  Over time this gasket will dry and crack and not seal.  Coleman doesn't offer them any more but if you take the old one down to the hardware store you'll be able to find one close enough to work for you.

If you run into problems just shoot me an email and I'll try to help.  Website is www.oldtowncoleman.com

Semper Fi all, Frank

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2011, 01:47 PM »
Last 40 yrs I have used Coleman fuel lantern, but now I like the Coleman propane. Its brighter to me. I plan on getting a 5lb tank to keep cost down and the last Coleman fuel I bought a few yrs back is JUNK!. Hard to get the pump to catch and while pumping the pump assemble wants to loosen and come out. I replaced the assemble last yr and it still wants to work loose and come out and the pump cup doesn't want to catch. Just like the original assemble.

A full tank on the fuel will last around 8-10hrs, the propane around 3-4 on high, longer on low. If you don't' plan on using it allot or cost is not a factor I would go with the Coleman propane. I also like the Coleman propane because it has a electric ignitor, easy to light. Lighting a fuel lantern with a match can be a hassle in the wind. I even added a flint ignitor to my fuel and it still lights hard sometimes.

All in all, after 40 yrs I have switched to propane. Its brighter, no smelly fuel fumes inside the shanty as with fuel, no spilling fuel trying to fill it, and its easier to light.

My 2 cents worth.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:08 PM »
....... Coleman has ALWAYS made lanterns that run on "white gas" which is (and always has been) unleaded auto fuel.  Camping fuel is much better than pump gas due to the lack of additives--it also does not product as much odor.  Camping fuel does also extend generator life but if you get quality pump gas it will be negligible........

I am no expert on the differance. But I sure hope someone doesn't go out and buy pump gas and try to run it in their Coleman lanter thats not dual fuel.  I am not sure if pump (unleaded auto fuel) would work in a NON dual Coleman lantern.

I have never and will never use pump gas in my non-dual Coleman lantern. For the safety of others I did a little research and here is some info from this link. White gas does not have additives, pump gas does. So no idea how pump gas will work in a non-dual coleman lanter, or if its even safe.
http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000iKh

White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline )1995 E. Michael Smith These fuels are all related in that all of them are of similar boiling points and are distilled from petroleum from the same 'cut'. Gasoline is more broad in the 'cut' and has a wider range of materials in it. It also has additives that make it store less well. Coleman Fuel is a particular brand of the more generic product, white gas. White gas is gasoline without the additives in it yet, and may or maynot be a broad cut like regular gasoline. They all have some very nice properties as a storage fuel. They also have some profound differences. Coleman fuel doesn't age and varnish up the way gasoline does. White gas is not as clean a cut as Coleman Fuel, but I've not done long duration storage tests on it. It might, or might not, store as well. I've used several year old Coleman fuel with no problems at all. Gasoline more than 1 year old is marginal. Store it for a couple of years and it will smell of varnish and have odd deposits on the bottom of the can

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline oldtowncoleman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 20, 2011, 07:27 PM »
Well let me say it again.  You CAN run pump gas in a Coleman lantern regardless if it is dual fuel or not.  Pump gas will clog the generator faster and smells more than camping fuel.  If you decide that saving $5 per gallon on fuel is worth having to replacing the inexpensive generator a little more often, it is the direction you can go.  I have been for over 10 years, without fail and without problem.  I have also ran my lawn mower on Coleman fuel and it works just fine!   

Offline taggedfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:56 PM »
propane is the only way for me in a shanty,gas lanterns put off too many fumes

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:44 AM »
propane is the only way for me in a shanty,gas lanterns put off too many fumes

Thats one of the main reasons I switched. Been using gas for past 40 yrs, but the fumes in the past few years swayed me to using propane. Plus the smell of gas on your hands doesn't help the fish bit, no smell with propane.

Using a gas lantern and when its really cold using a catalinic heater put out allot of fumes. Had to keep the doors unzipped some to keep fresh air. So between the fumes and messing with gas I have switched. I do keep the gas lantern in the Van just incase I need it, which I did need last week. I forgot my spare tank so I had to use my gas lantern when the tank ran out. Thats when I noticed that the propan lantern burned allot brighter than the gas which is better.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:31 PM »
Well let me say it again.  You CAN run pump gas in a Coleman lantern regardless if it is dual fuel or not.  Pump gas will clog the generator faster and smells more than camping fuel.  If you decide that saving $5 per gallon on fuel is worth having to replacing the inexpensive generator a little more often, it is the direction you can go.  I have been for over 10 years, without fail and without problem.  I have also ran my lawn mower on Coleman fuel and it works just fine!   

I emailed Coleman about using pump gas in Non dual lanterns, here is there reply. Looks like pump gas will eat the protective anti-rust coating inside the tanks on lanterns that are not made for pump gas.

Response Via Email (Shelly) 02/22/2011 12:04 PM
Dear Consumer:

Thank you for the inquiry concerning Coleman fueled products burning unleaded gasoline. The older products do not have the proper inner coating in the fuel tanks to handle the anti-knock or winterized fuel additives. The older products used an anti-rust inner coating that was a red-based primer. The additives in unleaded gasoline have been known to pull the old red-based primer from the inside of these older fuel tanks. In this state, the damaged inner coating can block the fuel and air tubes, and the generators in the appliances. Appliances that burn unleaded gasoline have an epoxy based anti-rust inner coating in their tanks, and a larger valve and generator system. To convert the older Coleman fueled appliances to properly burn unleaded gasoline would require a new valve and generator assembly, plus a new fuel tank. The combined costs of these parts are close to the price of new product built to accommodate unleaded gasoline. Therefore, we do not offer any conversion kits, as it is not cost effective for the consumer. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Shelly Thurman
Coleman Consumer Service

Offline oldtowncoleman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:27 PM »
Yup, the company line.  If you want to use "their" gas, buy one of our new lanterns for $100+ and then spend about 35% more on repair parts.  You can use one of our older lanterns but then make sure you buy "our" gas for about 300% more. 

Sorry guys, was just trying to help here but if you don't want to run unleaded in an old 200A like hundreds of us do, please don't.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 25, 2011, 03:20 AM »
Yup, the company line.  If you want to use "their" gas, buy one of our new lanterns for $100+ and then spend about 35% more on repair parts.  You can use one of our older lanterns but then make sure you buy "our" gas for about 300% more.  

Sorry guys, was just trying to help here but if you don't want to run unleaded in an old 200A like hundreds of us do, please don't.

I have switched to Propane so I really don't care. I just wanted to make some post for those who are think about using pump gas. Always best to look at both sides for safety purposes. When I started using a portable shanty, coleman fuel fumes bothered me, that's why I finally changed to propane. I can't imagine what burning pump gas would do.  

If you are burning pump gas in your lantern inside a shanty, and you don't have it vented. You are breathing toxic fumes, might as well suck car fumes. Or if you are outside and set the lantern between you legs for warmth or inside your pull-a-long cart or bucket you set on, you may be breathing poisonous fumes. If burning it outside away from yourself, from what I read, there is no health problem.

There are many toxins in unleaded gas that cause cancer and are poisonous? I copied this from the Top Lantern Collectors Site.

<><><><><><><><><><>
Do not forget that gasoline has many additives that are carcinogenic (cancer causing) including but not limited to the following ;
Benzine
Toluene
Xyline
Ethenol
Methynol
Methyl tertiary butyl ether
Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) (Canada & Australia)
Lead - 0.013 g P/L
Sulfur
Phosphorus - 0.0013g P/L

There are over 200 poisonous additives in gasoline, when burned in a lantern or stove they are emitted as fumes, please do not run these appliances indoors !

Every year I receive a publication from Mobil and the Federal government on the toxicity of gasoline, it is 350 pages long !

Please read this

I am tested for toxicity on a yearly basis because I have been working in the Automotive field for thirty years and am in constant contact with such poisons, please do not take this lightly.

Running your lantern outside where there is plenty of ventilation is fine, I never cook with gasoline, I only use Coleman fuel in my stoves in fear of poisoning my food.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Here is a link I found called, "Acute toxicity of gasoline and some additives".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1520023/?log%24=activity

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:39 PM »
I'll keep buying Coleman fuel for my lantern and not worry about what pump gas might do (fumes and deterioration) Thanks for all the info, it's interesting!  And  BTW Oldtowncoleman, I used your website to rebuild my lantern a few years back, THANKS!

Offline jmdigello

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:50 PM »
I have also found propane to be brighter than coleman fuel.  I have both and mainly use propane. 

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 26, 2011, 01:52 AM »
I'll keep buying Coleman fuel for my lantern and not worry about what pump gas might do (fumes and deterioration) Thanks for all the info, it's interesting!  And  BTW Oldtowncoleman, I used your website to rebuild my lantern a few years back, THANKS!

Hi Flypopper, I used coleman fuel for 40+ yrs, but I didn't have a shanty then, fished in the open. When I started using a shanty I always had to keep the doors vented cause the fumes made me nauseous, especially when I ran the catalytic heater and that let the heat out. Thats why I switched to propane. It cost more but at least there's no fumes that bother me.

Just in case you want to see where I got my last posts info from, below is the link to the post. The person who posted the thread is the sites forum Administrator, so I assume he knows what he's talking about when burning unleaded fuel. At Oldtowncoleman's site, he list this site as "The most active Coleman® bulletin board service out there, with discussions on repairs and collecting, classified ads and more. " So oldtownyucca is a good site to get knowledge about repair, collecting, and safety on lanterns.

http://oldtownyucca.websitetoolbox.com/search?searchid=11632479&showas=post

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:11 AM »
I don't use my lantern inside the shanty, just outside and in the summer camping so fumes ar'nt a problem.
I will say this though, the propane lanterns are alot noisier than the liquid fueled ones around the campfire

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:23 AM »
not trying to hi-jack this thread but does coleman make any kind of heater that runs on their fuel? those propane cylinders can get expensive, those lanterns probably last awhile on tankful
One gallon of coleman fuel is = to 4 1/2,1 lb propane bottles

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:25 AM »
My propane lantern is way brighter than the fuel, maybe thats why it makes more noise, more fuel running it because it has more pressure.

My fuel lantern will last about 8 hrs on a tank, holds 1.26pts(10oz). So I get approx 102 hrs on a gallon at $10 cost. The propane is suppose to last 13hrs on low and 7 on high, I know it last long but never timed it. So on low I would need 7.8 tanks to equal 1 gallon fuel and on high 14.5 tanks. The propane cost is way more, thats why I plan on getting a refillable 5lb tank.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:34 AM »
not trying to hi-jack this thread but does coleman make any kind of heater that runs on their fuel? those propane cylinders can get expensive, those lanterns probably last awhile on tankful

ya, a catalytic heater. Here is a ebay link to show you what they look like. I don't even know if they make them anymore, but I see allot sell at estate auctions, usually sell for $5-10 or less. You don't pump pressure into them like a lantern. They have a wick that draws the fuel up into the element part that lights. First you turn them upsidedown until you get a wet spot on the element, then light that spot and it will glow red after it gets going.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coleman-Catalytic-Heater-3000-5000-BTU-Green-w-BOX-/200578779233?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb36d4861

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.