Author Topic: best 1 man ice shelter to buy  (Read 25350 times)

Offline rswope2004

• Team IceShanty Regular
best 1 man ice shelter to buy
« on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:06 PM »
I  have a frabill hub style 2 man pop up and i am looking for a single man flip over.  money aside who has the best quality 1 man? I read the frabill vs. clam posts and still not sure which to go with.  looking for easy, quick setup, comfy seat,lightweight, nice fishable space for jigging, and durable.  Not asking for much i know but would like to see what you guys out there are using and what you like the best. Any input would be appreciated.  thanks

Offline firegems

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: best 1 man ice shelter to buy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:16 PM »
I just ordered a Clam Trapper 2, waiting for delivery. I based my decision on fishing area (11' ft.) , One of the lightest one man sled out there (with a seat that has a back), portability and set up (no expanding poles), Price also of course! Hoping I made the right choice?????
SO MANY FISH.........SO LITTLE TIME!

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:41 PM »
There's a thread like this either on page 2 or 3 of this category and there are probably several more in the shanty category.

I use a Otter Wild1 and love it. Best bang for the buck and the quality is great!

(actually there's one on this page as well)

Offline Reel Addiction 2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 3rd double of the day
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:49 PM »
Frabill Commando. I was thinking clam or frabill. Frabill seats are hard to beat. Plenty of room in the sled and puls easy. I got a heck of a deal on mine on craigslist and my buddy with the clam is not happy with his after he sat in the frabill.

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:31 PM »
I've had 2 Clams.  My next one will be a Otter hands down.  Quality on Clams has went down hill the past couple of years.
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline icefreak55

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 3rd Year Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:55 PM »
If you ask me ...Otter has priced themselves out of the market ..... Why would you pay that much more then a Frabill ? Plus they are HEAVY
   ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline drake hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:02 PM »
I've got the Cammando and love it.  Easy to set up and very comfortable.

Offline rswope2004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:07 PM »
so it looks like the otter and frabill more so than a clam.  i will have to check out the otter.

Offline icefreak55

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 3rd Year Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:17 PM »
As you can see I have a rover 1.5 which I really like . I can stand ..and have 16sqft of space. 279 $

But you will have to make a modification if you do not like the bench seat .... Put a boat seat in it ....
   ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline rswope2004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:23 PM »
wheres the best place you all have found to buy a shelter online?  most places you add an extra 100 bucks for shipping. Where i live most local dealers dont carry 1 mans in stock. 

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:29 PM »
join the frabill nation and go commando!!
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:46 PM »
This is ford or chevy...Everyone has their favorite (usually the one they own). I had a two man HT flip over and was happy with it except for the weight. I now have a shappell rover and I really like it ,it is light and functional and not crazy money.Good luck with this one !!! LOL

Offline BMLPIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:13 PM »
I bought an Eskimo quickflip 3 about 4-5yrs ago and It has held up but its time to upgrade. Its a pain to put it together and the bars that go on the ice have bent. But it has survived for awhile. I also have a clam one person house and that thing is quality. Not very spacious but its nice.

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:52 PM »
really enjoying my 1.5 shappell  (new this year). plenty of space ... believe me I looked em over before I made the decision,,and I am glad I went with the shappell.

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Clam Kenai gets my vote, the thing that really sold me was the depth of the tub on it, you can really fit some stuff in there.

Joe

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Get an Otter and be done with it!  ;)

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:17 PM »
I second the Rover 1.5. Overall very good product and user friendly.

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Get an Otter and be done with it!  ;)
IF U LIKE PULLING A BUS ONTO THE LAKE

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Clam Kenai gets my vote, the thing that really sold me was the depth of the tub on it, you can really fit some stuff in there.

Joe
I HAVE A KENAI ALSO SO THATS 2 VOTES FOR KENAI

Offline Rubberdaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:44 PM »
Frabill Commando is what I recommend. The seat is awesome and I like the front door option as well. Most one man's that I've seen you have to collapse to exit. I can leave the door open and interact with my friends that don't have a shanty. Got mine for $230 or so on clearance from Bass Pro. Cabelas and BPS are both offering 20% off all in stock shantys. The black fabric on the Frabills also heats up and retains heat better than other colors, and I haven't needed to fire up the heater yet

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Frabill Commando is what I recommend. The seat is awesome and I like the front door option as well. Most one man's that I've seen you have to collapse to exit. I can leave the door open and interact with my friends that don't have a shanty. Got mine for $230 or so on clearance from Bass Pro. Cabelas and BPS are both offering 20% off all in stock shantys. The black fabric on the Frabills also heats up and retains heat better than other colors, and I haven't needed to fire up the heater yet

If you haven't fired up a heater you haven't fished yet we've been in some brutal cold and its rough even with a heater and yes i have a frabil
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline Rubberdaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:59 PM »
If you haven't fired up a heater you haven't fished yet we've been in some brutal cold and its rough even with a heater and yes i have a frabil
Been out almost daily, but it hasn't been super cold. Usually its 20 degrees or warmer and I don't need a heater if it's that warm. Nighttime would probably be the only time I use a heater

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:05 AM »
i have the frabill 2-man hub style and when i upgrade , i'll get the  frabill 4-5 man hub style.....i really like the open floor and my 2 man has been set up for almost 3 weeks now out on the same spot so they're really stable if you tie them down good...
add the benifits of low weight & low price and you cant lose....
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline fishcrazy56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2011, 03:14 AM »
go with frabill those clams havent been the same since the company went overseas! I have seen more problems with the kenai and there 2 man speed shacks than I can count.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:27 AM »
I'm not a very big guy the Kenai is very well built and has a sturdy tub good bang for the buck ,but i  think the product has gone  down hill as soon as they stopped making the X line of shacks ,that might be when the moved overseas 

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:38 AM »
IF U LIKE PULLING A BUS ONTO THE LAKE

::)

The Otter shacks have the some of the best quality right now. You can fit nearly everthing you need in the shack and if you happen to pull it behind a wheeler or snowmobile you don't have to worry about know getting into it because of the depth of the shack that the others don't have. I pull the shack by hand and yes it's heavier other one man shacks, but an in the Otter 1 person shacks you can fit 2 people reasonably comfortable. You won't be able to find a better deal for the price when you look at the overall size and quality. I looked and that's why I chose Otter.

On a side notes, I wouldn't touch any shack by Clam right now. It only takes a quick search on this site to see how many quality controls issues they've been having from screws to canvas. And that's not to mention those that have had theirs for a couple years and are finding them falling apart. (Yes Clam is being fairly reasonable about the QC issues, but really, you buy something new, you wanna use it. Not wait a week to get the corrected parts mailed to you)

Offline toadly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:50 AM »
The best one man shelter is one designed for 4 people. The room is very nice and there is always room for one more if you got to. I use the ice cube. weighs less than 25lbs and setts up quick. {;>)

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:33 PM »
I just bought the Clam Trapper I for $169.99, and couldnt be happier. I was a bit dissapointed with the hardware, and looking through the threads I seen that a lot of people are having issues with bolts snapping off.

I based my decision between the Trapper, Trapper II, Kenai, and Recon DLX. I didnt buy the Kenai because of the price, and the fishing space. The Trapper II is the same shanty as the Trapper, but it comes with a seat. Personally I dont like the clam seats. But I am spoiled by my Frabill seats. Between the Trapper and Recon DLX....I didnt like the bench seat on the DLX, especially because its bolted in. The DLX also doesnt have a front door, which is a feature I like especially since the windows are not removeable, and it costs a little more $189.99. And the Trapper is 38lbs dry, the DLX is 49.5. I am not a brand loyal type of person, I just go with whats the best in my price range. The fold up chair that comes with the clam is the bees nees. Its super comfy and has an waterproof pocket that I find handy for matches, gloves, waxies, jig boxes etc... There is plenty of fishing space with a small heater and a vexilar. I used my 20lb tank in there, I had the room, but it was way too hot!  @)
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 19, 2011, 05:05 PM »
wheres the best place you all have found to buy a shelter online?  most places you add an extra 100 bucks for shipping. Where i live most local dealers dont carry 1 mans in stock. 

I just bought a Clam Kenai from Kittery Trading Post in Maine, had them on sale and shipped it to central NY for $12. And that included an oversize charge for shipping it. I could not find one anywhere for that kind of shipping price! Plus the Sale Price was the lowest I found online or local! They delivered it by 2 Day UPS, bought it Monday afternoon, had it Wed to go fishing! 5 star service!

BIGJim223

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2011, 09:56 PM »
I got a frabill recon dxl for christmas.  Love the shack, light weight and lots of room for gear and hand auger in the sled but hated the bench seat with no back.  Im short and it was too tall.  i removed the bench and went to gander mountain and bought a replacement clam seat ($35), cut the slide bars down to fit sideways in the shack and have the comfort of a swiveling, sliding seat with a back, at the perfect height.  It even comes with the cloth tray bellow to store some gear in.   Now is the perfect shack!
I can smell a perch a mile away...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.