Author Topic: Propane heater side effects??  (Read 18533 times)

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
Propane heater side effects??
« on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:26 PM »
I was just wondering what are some of the "symptoms" of poor oxygen in your shelter?? I noticed toward the end of todays fishing my eyes had a burning feeling, is this from the heater??

Offline Slabstacker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Propane heater side effects??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:34 PM »
I have noticed when I don't have great ventilation, that I will start to develop a headache. Normally I try to leave a few small openings where my shack meets the ice, and then I don't have any issues. Never tried my heater in a shack that is sealed well. That could for sure cause some problems

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Eyes burning, headache, sinus congestion are just a few of the symptoms of poor ventilation with a "space" heater.

Dress warmly and just use the heater to warm your hands every couple of hours, afterall... you're great outdoorsmen of the great bwhite north eh?

Heaters are for small children, pregnant women, and the elderly!!!... just like beer! ;D
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:52 PM »
... you're great outdoorsmen of the great bwhite north eh?

Heaters are for small children, pregnant women, and the elderly!!!... just like beer! ;D

haha
 ;D ;D

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:52 PM »
From the Centers for Disease Control:
What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.

Where is CO found?
CO is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by cars and trucks, small gasoline engines, stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal and wood, and gas ranges and heating systems. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned by breathing it.

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?
The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death. Unless suspected, CO poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms mimic other illnesses. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.

How does CO poisoning work?
Red blood cells pick up CO quicker than they pick up oxygen. If there is a lot of CO in the air, the body may replace oxygen in blood with CO. This blocks oxygen from getting into the body, which can damage tissues and result in death.

Ventilate your shanty. Stay alive.

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:00 PM »
mdeutsch
Thanks for the info! I usually have my shelter well ventelated but being as it was -10 today I was reluctant to open up a door... but better be cold than dead... :blink:

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Buddy heaters have a low oxygen sensor and a tip over shut off built In. A good Investment for your Ice fishing safety.

Offline HARDTOP

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • MACK ATTACK
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Thats the bad thing about propane by the time you notice it may be to late it realy sneaks up on you . be safe .

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Buddy heaters have a low oxygen sensor and a tip over shut off built In. A good Investment for your Ice fishing safety.

We put this to the test this season in a controlled environment.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=168401.msg1641773#msg1641773

Matt

Offline eyefish2

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You can never make up for a day of missed fishing
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:15 PM »
if the oxygen level is getting low, you will notice your heater burn hotter when you open the door and let some fresh air in.   If your shack is getting to this point, you will probably be sleepy.  Of course, not a good situation.

Offline sbarkowski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:25 PM »
Buddy heater with low oxygen sensor and a $25 battery operated carbon monoxide detector. Hit the test button every time I use it and bring a spare set of AA batteries. So far so good..

Offline davejohnson2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:50 AM »
my buddy heater has a low oxygen sensor and is certified to be used inside

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:27 AM »
I always keep a window cracked on my shanty and then I don't need to worry about it.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:45 AM »
I find when my tank gets low on propane my eyes start to burn.

Offline pshootr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:51 AM »
you guys worry to much!if you are in a portable shanty there are air leaks everywhere!!and if your getting sleepy its because you aint catchin any fish!lol
GOD BLESS AMERICA.LETS GO FISHIN!!!!

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:07 AM »
i sometimes start to feel sick to my stomach and get a headache but a few minutes of fresh air will clear it up

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:41 AM »
I posted this before in another thread about propane heaters, Where I read that something like 85 people have died from using small propane space heaters since the mid 1990's in confined spaces. I bet every one of them thought it could never happen to them. Be careful.

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:23 PM »
the frabills have the maxvents at the top of the shelter, i opened all 4 in my commando and its let out a little more heat than i desire but i also didn't have the bottom sealed too well so alot of air was getting in and cooling it off also
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:39 PM »
You could get a Canary  ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.