Author Topic: Knotless Loop in rope...  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Pork

• Team IceShanty Regular
Knotless Loop in rope...
« on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:10 AM »
Learned a neat trick with hollow core rope...I used it to rig up my pull rope on the new sled.
Start with hollow core nylon rope...
Not sure if this is a widely available product, but my local hardware has it, so it's got to be around....
It's softer & thicker than the normal yellow nylon anchor rope & can be 'birdcaged' to allow it to open up in the center.

I used a screw driver pushed down through to work it open better.
Also melted the end of the rope so it was thinner, and pushed it up through into itself making a nice knotless loop...

sort of like a chinese finger trap, the harder you pull it, the tighter it constricts on itself...works good.

And can be taken out with no damage to the rope.
Maybe I'm behind on this one & it's alread being used...just thought this might benefit someone.

Tight lines
 :tipup:

If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes. ;)

Offline MoreTroutPls

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Knotless Loop in rope...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2011, 05:38 PM »
That's a variation on a loop splice that can be made in any hollow braided line.  It is usually done using a needle in braided dacron line. 

Your splice got developed when line manufacturers started making lines from poly materials.  We used it for water ski lines back in the sixties.

You can make it stronger and less likely to slip (in that slippery synthetic line) by passing the end out of the line and re-inserting the line back into the standing part of the line.  That essentially makes a splice twice as long and less likely to slip when the rope is jerked.

That's a good way to make splices.  Splices tend to be stronger than knots and keep full strength of the line.
Everyone has to believe in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.
Member of the G.O.D.S

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.