Author Topic: dropper hooks  (Read 4633 times)

Offline pumba

• IceShanty Rookie
dropper hooks
« on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:19 AM »
how do you add a dropper hook to your spoon?  do you bait it or is it just for short bites?

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: dropper hooks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2011, 02:35 PM »
bait it. spoon brings them in and the bait gets them to bite

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:12 PM »
I don't run true dropper hook rig.  I just like to get rid of the split ring so my hook set is better with Fireline tied on.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2011, 11:02 PM »
I don't run true dropper hook rig.  I just like to get rid of the split ring so my hook set is better with Fireline tied on.
trying to see what you are describing above... so you tie directly to the spoon and remove the split ring and treble from your spoon? Then you tie a single hook with fireline on to where the split ring and treble were? correct me if I am way off please...  ;D

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2011, 11:09 PM »

That's how I tie mine.

How it looks like after catching a enough fishes.  Almost time to retie and maybe replace the worn out not so red hook.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2011, 11:15 AM »
looks great... thanks for the pics. It looks like they work well too  ;D

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:07 PM »
That's how I tie mine.
How it looks like after catching a enough fishes.  Almost time to retie and maybe replace the worn out not so red hook.

Nice modification! Whatchya cathin on those?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Nice modification! Whatchya cathin on those?

Just about everything that will take a minnow whole or in pieces...smelt, 'gills, crappies, perches, tullies, wallys, rock bass, whitebass, occasional small pike, occasional small bucketbass, small 'pouts, Rainbows, Browns, Brookies, small Lakers, etc.,...

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2011, 12:32 AM »
Always been a fan of Hali's dropper action so I've been using drop rigs made out of modeling chain that I bought off of ebay.  It's used by miniature enthusiests and is much stronger than the necklace chains I could find as well as original hali replacement chains.  Bought about 3 feet of chain for about 7 bucks two years ago and made plenty of rigs using the tiny clips. With the terminal clips I can try different hooks, jigs and hand tied flies with very little effort.  Used to use mono droppers but the chain seems to drive the fish crazy.   Hope this helps.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2011, 03:23 PM »
Always been a fan of Hali's dropper action so I've been using drop rigs made out of modeling chain that I bought off of ebay.  It's used by miniature enthusiests and is much stronger than the necklace chains I could find as well as original hali replacement chains.  Bought about 3 feet of chain for about 7 bucks two years ago and made plenty of rigs using the tiny clips. With the terminal clips I can try different hooks, jigs and hand tied flies with very little effort.  Used to use mono droppers but the chain seems to drive the fish crazy.   Hope this helps.
I was thinking about making some droppers with chain instead of buying the overpriced hali chains... How did you attach the quick snap and hook to each end of the chain?

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:41 PM »
That was the tricky part for sure.  Using two pair of minipliers I opened the eye on the clip just enough to insert the end link of chain. and then bent it closed again.  The clips are very stiff and I did break a few at first until finding the right feel.  I also thought about finding appropriate sized split rings somewhere to join both ends.  Now I've been wanting to use the new FastAttach clip which sort of threads the hook on instead of clipping on.  Being able to unclip a treble, impale the hook's shaft threw a minnow head and reattach seems like a great way to rig a theft proof offering.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:40 PM »
Like CopperJohn,  I have made a number of dropper chains of different lengths.  I purchased 6ft of copper necklace chain from Michael's craft for ~$6.  The chain seems strong enough for any pan-fish.  I did pull it a number of times without breaking it.  And yes I have broken a few of those Mustad clips trying to open the loop to hook the chain.  One thing I did do also was to use #10 siwish hooks to i didn't have to put clips on both ends.
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.