Author Topic: how many and how long  (Read 1543 times)

Offline fasttimeracing

• Team IceShanty Regular
how many and how long
« on: Jan 26, 2011, 01:49 PM »
I'm just wanting to know how many days u fish and how long your days are. man I fish 3 or four day and will have 30 to 36 hours in. its getting to be too much,I'm getting burnt out. That is not a good thing.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: how many and how long
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:06 PM »
I fish ALOT more than you and that's still not enough for me. I LIVE FOR ICE!!!!!!!!!! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:13 PM »
Early in the season I hit the ice at least 3 or 4 times a week, the last few weeks I have slowed down and gotten out about twice a week.  My trips are usually 7am to 10am with a couple exceptions that have gone into the early afternoon.  Have not fished an afternoon or evening bite in a couple years.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:22 PM »
Other than early ice when I was on vacation, I go only on the weekends in the mornings usually and off the ice around noon.  Occassionally I will go out on a Tuesday evening for the afternnon bite from about 4 to 7.  I don't think I have ever spent more than 6 hours on the ice at one time.  Either I have caught enough well before then or they are not biting good enough for me to stick around.

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:32 PM »
I fish untill she starts getting upset!
Then some honydo"s and start the cycle again! Unless im on a hot bite then she may start getting mad!  ;D
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline iceman96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:16 PM »
well since i have school all week :sick: i only get out once or twice a week but when im out im out for a long time

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:34 PM »
On average 2 to 3 times a week for 3 to 4 hours last weekend was the exception Thursday Friday and Saturday 6 to 8 hours each day on the ice 6 different lakes from Loomis over to South Mud North of Peru  @)
Hardwater Maniacs Pro staff
CrappieZilla Ice Pro staff
Team Extrem Wisconsin Series Competitor

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:57 PM »
I was delayed getting out until Dec. 24.  I've missed only three days since that date.  Almost all days are 8-9 hr. days.  It will be a little slower now that I have to give my mother-in-law eye drops in the middle of the day but hey I still can get in a half day.  I love to ice fish.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:02 PM »
I've been fishing about 2-3 times a week. Tuesday night and then maybe on Thurs and Sat. I think going to a new lake and with different people helps me not get in a rut. Take a break then hit it again. Before long everyone going to be singing the blues!!

Offline HighPockets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:02 PM »
I have fished 15 out of the last 45 when the ice came on. That is not near enough, I want more. ;D

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:03 PM »
I fish 2-3 days a week. Normally 6-8hrs a day...been averaging 6 keepers per hour.

Offline plowboy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:25 PM »
I fish 4 to 5 days a week usally 2 to 4 hrs per day except weekends then i bump it up to 6 to 8 hrs per day. Haven't did real good since the 1st thaw but i think its starting to pick up, caught a few tonight. the mrs hasn't said to much yet except when i'm out till 9 or 10 trying to crappie fish. i never get tired of it.

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:10 PM »
You read my mind, almost posted the same thing this morning.  I have fished 27 days this year and 106.5 hrs of fishing time (no travel time included):) 

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:31 PM »
I'm a working stiff and don't get home early enough of an evening to fish weekdays, but fish almost every Saturday and Sunday.  I average 6-8 hours a day on the ice, but did back to back 15 hour days over the weekend, then did another 8 hours on Monday.

-Jeff

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:56 AM »
for me its not so much a hobby as an unnatural, unhealthy, obsession.

Pre ice i was 10pm till around 10am some days, 530am the rest.  That was a week or less of the 90 day fall walleye run not fished.  Weekends were different.   I wouldnt even leave the dam at all.  Sleep during the day and half-a   fish the eve and start hard at around 10pm.  I lost 15lbs during this run this year.

On ice ive been at least 4, if not more per week, since we have had it around here.  (right before xmas) I prefer the evening set.  I stay until the fish quit biting, starting no earlier than 2.  

When working i always have a pole with me and will stop as many times a week as possbile where ever i can get a line in at least a couple hours if i can.  I make time even in the short periods where i thought. "I dont have time to fish."

Ive got one life to live.  I dont love to fish, i live to fish.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:57 AM »
8 to 12 hours every time out.

Offline gilleater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:03 AM »
Every evening for about 3 hours (until dark) unless I catch a mess, then I take the next evening off to clean 'em. I usually fish Sat. and Sun. for about 8 hours each. I'm still trying to find those 9+ inch gills and the crappie are eluding me as well. I figure if I put enough time in maybe I'll find some like the pictures I see on here.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:25 AM »
Usually 2 or 3 times a week. I prefer to fish weekdays after work. I get off at three and can usually get out earlier if I'm not too busy. I'll fish longer on the weekends but don't always fish Sat and Sun. It just doesn't pay for me to get up super early and fish. Got up last Saturday for the Summit Shanty Shootout, which gave me plenty of time to thaw out my frozen water lines before the family got up, but not enough time to make the tournament!!!
Paul

Offline keepinsorlips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:54 AM »
 I get out 2 or 3 times a week been rough seein how the place I worked at closed in Dec. I try to hit the morning and evening bit, so 12 to 13 hrs. makes a long day but when you are on a budget you have to make them count!! My longest day this year was 16 hrs.ugh!! Havent had many good trips this year  because of budget not alot of good lake in Howard county,But managed to get permission on a private pond with bull gills I will post pics finnally today!!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:33 AM »
Constantly....if I'm not working or sleeping I'm fishing or en route to fish.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

JRSwillow

« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:36 AM »
I fish ALOT more than you and that's still not enough for me. I LIVE FOR ICE!!!!!!!!!! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
hellya wallydiven, we need 2 catch sum fish this spring n fall bro!

Offline iceangler82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:46 AM »
3+ days a wk. 7-10hrs each time. Each time I go I try to make it worth the trip, since I live in ft wayne and all of my spots are at least 30 mins away.
POPPIN TABS AND CATCHIN SLABS!!!

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:47 AM »
i get out 2-4 times a week and when i go out its from sun up to sun down

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:07 AM »
I try and go as much as possible...I would say I average 3-4 days a week and almost all of my fishing is in the evening!!! So I probably get about 3-4 hours a day or just long enough to catch a good mess.

That being said this has been a great season so far....early ice and really just a few days around New Years where it was sketchy and good ever since. Plust the forecast looks awesome moving forward!!! Thank you...thank you...thank you!!!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline Weskimo1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:14 AM »
Any time I can & as long as I can.  Work and family obviously dictate that...lol.  When I am on the ice, I will stay as long as possible...on crappie nights we will start at 7pm and fish until 3 or 4 am if that what it takes.  If I can sneak 2hrs in on a pond I will...just can't get enough.  Do any of you guys get so excited for a weekend of living in the shanty, that your stomach gets knots...thats me. I am "Giddy" now for fishing tonight!  :tipup:

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Depends on how the bite is.  Usually 4 days a week.  Had an unfortunate situation happen at work and now I may not be fishing for at least 2 weeks.  Today was suppose to be my day off and I'm working a 12 hour shift.

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:13 AM »
Right now with work,Its weekends only...But I just did put in a
Request for a Few Days Off..To Chase them Fish..
Plus Fishing Tourneys are Fun,Good to Meet are Awesome Membership..
Been Fishing All my Life,It never gets Old......

FISH-ON!!!!

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Thanks for the thread...it has actually reminded me that I need to get to the lake!!

Peace out!!!!   :woot:

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.