The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Leighton's vs. Riverbend Smelt Camps  (Read 6892 times)

Offline D Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Leighton's vs. Riverbend Smelt Camps
« on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:38 PM »
Which camp has been bringing in more smelt this year?  Which location do you think I'll have the best chance at catching lots early-mid FEB? 

Offline kezarking

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Leighton's vs. Riverbend Smelt Camps
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:40 PM »
bakers

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:48 PM »
leighton's
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:49 PM »

<<<<<<<  Leightons

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2011, 01:39 PM »
I just booked next saturday...2/5 at Baker's.  Fishing the late tide...10:00pm till 4am I believe.  Got a 6 man.  Haven't been in years but want to bring my son and hope he likes it as much as I did when I went with my dad many years ago.  I got the basics...sabiki's, soft jigging rods, made up some drop shot style rigs with #12's and flies and of course the cast iron and flour/spices will be coming.  I posted a thread in the MA section but got no advice.  If there's anything else I should know, please tell me.  Any advice would be appreciated.....want to make it a fun experience for the boy since waiting for salmon and trout flags can get boring for a 12 year old.  Anyone else gonna be there next weekend?  I should be in both forums with property in ME and MA but reside full time in MA now.

Offline D Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:23 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I was greedy and ended up booking two different camps.  We are fishing Leighton's on 2/11 and Baker's on 2/12.  Hopefully have some good luck at least one of the nights!

Offline D Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:27 AM »
I just booked next saturday...2/5 at Baker's.  Fishing the late tide...10:00pm till 4am I believe.  Got a 6 man.  Haven't been in years but want to bring my son and hope he likes it as much as I did when I went with my dad many years ago.  I got the basics...sabiki's, soft jigging rods, made up some drop shot style rigs with #12's and flies and of course the cast iron and flour/spices will be coming.  I posted a thread in the MA section but got no advice.  If there's anything else I should know, please tell me.  Any advice would be appreciated.....want to make it a fun experience for the boy since waiting for salmon and trout flags can get boring for a 12 year old.  Anyone else gonna be there next weekend?  I should be in both forums with property in ME and MA but reside full time in MA now.

Seems like you are well prepared.  Some people just show up and use the camp's stock smelt boards.  I think with your finesse sabiki setups you should have a good chance.  Sometimes it doesn't even  matter what you put down the hole; at times they are ravenous and will bite anything, othertimes it seems like fishing in a bathtub.  Good luck to you and your son!  Please post a report and let us know how you do.  Thanks.

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Seems like you are well prepared.  Some people just show up and use the camp's stock smelt boards.  I think with your finesse sabiki setups you should have a good chance.  Sometimes it doesn't even  matter what you put down the hole; at times they are ravenous and will bite anything, othertimes it seems like fishing in a bathtub.  Good luck to you and your son!  Please post a report and let us know how you do.  Thanks.

I will certainly post a report....I'll be there the weekend before you.  I'm in shack #35 and I believe it's one of the first ones on the run when the fish come up.....at least that's what Cindy (@ baker's) told me..

Offline D Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:59 PM »
I will certainly post a report....I'll be there the weekend before you.  I'm in shack #35 and I believe it's one of the first ones on the run when the fish come up.....at least that's what Cindy (@ baker's) told me..

Hmmm...I should call and find out where we are on the river this year.  I want the honey hole! 

Last year at a different place (I forget which) they gave us a camp and we could see bottom through the racehole.  Probably 4-feet deep.  Not very conducive for catching smelt!  We did horribly.  From what I remember the rivers were flooding; this was around the end of JAN.  Some of the companies actually had to pull their camps off and temporarily shut down because ice was disappearing.  I'm guessing they moved these closer to shore to avoid losing their camps to the vanishing ice.  Unfortunately no fish in that close!

Offline Redflyfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:30 PM »
Leightons...went there today slayed them. Only two of us on the river over  two hundred or so 740am to 130pm really good time small shacks but plenty of wood nice house lines lost a lot of fish!

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:57 PM »
bakers

Offline hawgzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2011 Ice Shanty Fantasy NASCAR Champion
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:12 PM »
Bakers

Offline D Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:21 PM »
Leightons...went there today slayed them. Only two of us on the river over  two hundred or so 740am to 130pm really good time small shacks but plenty of wood nice house lines lost a lot of fish!

nice job!  good to hear people are catching them, especially in daytime tides.  hopefully they'll still be running in 2 weeks when I head out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.