Author Topic: crappie with tip ups?  (Read 4775 times)

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
crappie with tip ups?
« on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:19 AM »
does anyone fish for crappies with tip ups?? and idea on what to use for baits and hooks? and what kind of water to look for?
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Re: crappie with tip ups?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:24 AM »
20 fow small shiners or dace.

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:30 AM »
I do sometimes. I have a couple traps I keep set up with the same kind of jigs I have on my jig poles and if I'm moving around, will drop a trap in with a 1-2" minnow on it when I'm done jigging a hole. If I get a crappie on one of the traps, I'll jig in that hole.

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:41 AM »
does anyone fish for crappies with tip ups?? and idea on what to use for baits and hooks? and what kind of water to look for?

Jigging for crappies is more effective and more fun.  I don't think I would bother.  ;)
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:44 AM »
I sometimes fish with a guy  that has a unique style. He fishes crappies by going to his "hot spot" drilling 5 holes in a 10ft radius, placing a lawn chair in the middle and dropping his 5 traps. I've seen him get into them and have 3 of five tip-ups flag up within seconds of each other. He misses a lot of fish, but he also lands more than I would expect(if I didn't see it on more than one occasion). He uses a smaller hook(maybe a 6 or 8) and live shiners or dace. The guy is a trip, as he scoffs at my flasher, and I won't even tell you what he thinks of our beloved IS! ::) ;D  ...Good Luck!
I fish.                                                         

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:31 PM »
I sometimes fish with a guy  that has a unique style. He fishes crappies by going to his "hot spot" drilling 5 holes in a 10ft radius, placing a lawn chair in the middle and dropping his 5 traps. I've seen him get into them and have 3 of five tip-ups flag up within seconds of each other. He misses a lot of fish, but he also lands more than I would expect(if I didn't see it on more than one occasion). He uses a smaller hook(maybe a 6 or 8) and live shiners or dace. The guy is a trip, as he scoffs at my flasher, and I won't even tell you what he thinks of our beloved IS! ::) ;D  ...Good Luck!

Done that its a ball if your in the right spot kids luv it

Offline SwedishPimple

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cuskarunnin'
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2011, 06:05 PM »
I would fish the river out of Mesalonskee.   

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2011, 06:58 PM »
Sometimes I will suspend a big shiner over a crappie hole, this has accounted for some big crappie. Most of the time I'm staring cross-eyed at a spring bobber.

Offline vicegripkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:49 PM »
i jig at the hole with the most active tip up, great locator

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:31 PM »
I jig a hole until the fish stop hitting usually a jig and maggot thaan drop a minnow down and set the tip up in that hole usually always pick up a few extra fish.
sparky

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2011, 09:52 PM »
I do the same thing only I use tip downs, they work even better, when the fish hit they do not feel anything, i'm afraid with tip ups they will feel the initial resistance and drop the bait.

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:05 PM »
this is my first season and ive only caught perch, bass, and pickeral. how and where would u go to catch crappie if u wwent to a random lake for ur first time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.