Author Topic: My ice shack plans  (Read 7125 times)

Offline jacob64

• IceShanty Rookie
My ice shack plans
« on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:57 PM »
Ok first off I got this concept from these 5$ plans I purchased a while ago and I didn't wanted it a little bigger. These are just my first draft of incomplete plans so I will add my final plans when I am finished and then my progress of building the shack. The sandy looking parts is plywood and the orange dashed lines are hidden lines just for reference. Btw I just got Autocad 2010 and have never used autocad before so sorry if the plans look "noobish".

If you have any suggestions on making it a better structured shack let me know and the walls will be 3/8" thick not 1/2" like the plans say but the floor will be 1/2" thick (pressure treated for walls and floor).

- Took this picture of some people fishing while out striper fishing really early in the morning. Post card material right here!
"getting out on the water before 6am is the best because you still have about 14 hours to fish"

Offline jacob64

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: My ice shack plans
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Fyi the one with no name is the floor.

Oh and should I do 3/8 or 1/2 for the front and back walls? I really don't know... how much cheaper is 3/8 from 1/2?

- Took this picture of some people fishing while out striper fishing really early in the morning. Post card material right here!
"getting out on the water before 6am is the best because you still have about 14 hours to fish"

Offline ice_hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • PROUD MEMBER OF THE F.O.E.O.A.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2011, 04:29 AM »
a long time ago my ex BIL and i made one of these......we used the 3/8 for the end walls and half inch for the floor.........if i had to do it all over again, id make the walls with half inch.   reason being is that the 3/8 seemed kinda flimsy when setting up and in use.......even with 4 wall supports in it, it buckled a lot with just a moderate breeze.

another this i would suggest doing is putting the floor supports at 16" o.c..........2 foot centers is just a bit too much for 1/2 plywood........if ya went to 3/4 for the floor, then ya could get away with 2' o.c. without any sagging when its under a load ( i.e.  a couple of guys in there fishing, and all their equipment too)

Offline PauliePiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:56 AM »
as far as the autocad goes,I think you dod just fine!!
ICE THOSE FISH!!!

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:21 AM »
Cad looks good make sure you have Object Snap turned on @ the bottom "square with an * on the corner" and you will get cleaner Dimension... (will avoid getting 2' 6 1/16")

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:56 AM »
Looks good. here's mine:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=117286.60
Middle of page 4, blue tarped ontario.  I had a heavier green/black tarp which made it easier to heat and the black on the outside gave good passive solar.  If you look closely, I put 2x4's down the length, but mine was set up more as a permanent.  One 2x4 was a ridge pole and one down either side as a 'back rail'.  The only thing I would do differently to your setup is lower that window so if you run tipups, you can see them as soon as they go up, whilst sitting.  Happy building

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.