The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 227404 times)

Offline WyoDoc

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Soda Buttes Lake
« Reply #420 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:40 AM »
Dear WyoDoc,

Are you talking about Twin Buttes Reservoir?

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Hi WGFD - Yep, sorry, had a brain fart.  Asking about Twin Buttes next to Hattie. 

Offline Fishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #421 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:16 PM »
I was wondering about Walleye numbers in Healy Reservoir, Johnson Co. According the the 2011 regional newsletter there was 48 transplanted from Desmet, and on the fishing guide on the Wyoming game and fish department that is a species found in that body of water. However I never hear about anyone catching one. I've never caught one. I can't find any recent fishing surveys on their numbers either. I know there are Tiger musky now in healy based on the 2014 regional newsletter, but they don't show up as a species on the fishing guide in healy. Thank you for making yourselves available for this Q&A on ice shanty. Much appreciate by this angler, and I hope to continue having the privilege.
A group of ice fishermen is a chatter or chill, although the term loony is often used, particularly by wives of ice fishermen.

~ Patrick F. McManus in The Grasshopper Trap

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #422 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:01 AM »
I was wondering about Walleye numbers in Healy Reservoir, Johnson Co. According the the 2011 regional newsletter there was 48 transplanted from Desmet, and on the fishing guide on the Wyoming game and fish department that is a species found in that body of water. However I never hear about anyone catching one. I've never caught one. I can't find any recent fishing surveys on their numbers either. I know there are Tiger musky now in healy based on the 2014 regional newsletter, but they don't show up as a species on the fishing guide in healy. Thank you for making yourselves available for this Q&A on ice shanty. Much appreciate by this angler, and I hope to continue having the privilege.
Fishboy, thanks for the question. The walleye numbers in Healy are low. Back in 2009, prior to obtaining a new tiger musky source, we started moving walleye from DeSmet to Healy so they could prey upon the over abundant perch. From 2009 thru 2012 we moved a total of 70 walleye. We soon found that this was a very difficult task; to catch walleye at DeSmet, hope they were alive in our nets, then keep them alive and move them to Healy. To date, we still have not documented any natural reproduction from the transplanted walleye. I have heard a rumor or two about the occasional walleye being caught at Healy, but I certainly wouldn't count on finding any.

In October 2012 we were able to get tiger musky stocked so we have given up on transplanting walleye to Healy. The goal with transplanting walleye or stocking the tiger musky is to improve to overall quality of the perch fishery (i.e. reduce number, but improve size and condition). It will likely take a few more years  before we notice any significant changes as a result of stocking the musky. Our goal is to get the average length of perch caught in our gill nets up to 8 inches. Right now they are around 7 inches on average.

Hope this helps.

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #423 on: Dec 26, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Could game & fish provide a list or let us know where to obtain the list of statewide minnow dealers when the new regulation comes into effect the first of the year? Maybe it could be published on Ice Shanty  Wyoming bait shops

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #424 on: Dec 29, 2014, 01:09 PM »
Hey guys, we are very fortunate to have a representative from the Wyoming Game and Fish take the time to respond to serious queries made here by our members. The G&F have plenty of things to do, and replying to questions on our site is something they take the time to do for us, and we thank them.

So please keep this thread clear of the "nothing to add" humor cracks. The G&F rep shouldn't have to wade through these nonsense posts to respond to others. Thanks for understanding and thanks to the G&F for swinging through when they can.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline remme280

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #425 on: Dec 29, 2014, 04:27 PM »
question on # of hooks one can use. in the rules in says no more than 3 single hooked devices per line. does that mean a person could use say 2 or 3 treble hooks on a tip up for instance. or would one treble hook be 3 hooks?
Remme

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #426 on: Dec 29, 2014, 08:41 PM »
question on # of hooks one can use. in the rules in says no more than 3 single hooked devices per line. does that mean a person could use say 2 or 3 treble hooks on a tip up for instance. or would one treble hook be 3 hooks?
if one trebel hook was 3 hooks wouldn't you not be allowed to use the majority of lures like the RAPALA or other similar crank baits? I too am curious about the # of hooks thanks for the post remme

Offline remme280

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #427 on: Dec 30, 2014, 01:05 PM »
Its the wording single hooked devices that starts my confusion. Because like a chubby darter has 2 trebles but is only one device.
Remme

Offline Fishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #428 on: Dec 30, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Was hoping I could ask you about baitfish, and a seining license. I've tried doing my homework but really don't know if the following scenario is legal or not. I live in Johnson Co. I want to use dead baitfish on Healy Reservoir or Lake Desmet. Could I, if I had the seining license, trap baitfish on any old pond. Kill them on sight, then use them on either body of water as just bait? Also it seems to me, per the regulations, that neither body of water is allowed to be used for the seining of live baitfish, even though there's special ice fishing provisions. Am I correct it this thought? Thanks again for offering this to us here at ice shanty Wyoming! P.S. 1 more thing if I may, is there information somewhere on what species may be used for baitfish? All game fish are out of course, and the brook stickleback must be dispatched at all cost, but what about suckers, carp? Thanks again!
A group of ice fishermen is a chatter or chill, although the term loony is often used, particularly by wives of ice fishermen.

~ Patrick F. McManus in The Grasshopper Trap

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #429 on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:20 PM »
I have answer and will try and copy paste. Read page 8 in the regs book I think

Dear fishm_n,

Looking at the Magic website and the product I would consider these products, especially the minnows as dead baitfish. The use of dead baitfish is covered on page 8 of the new 2015 WY Fishing Regulation book. What is says, is "Dead baitfish may be used as bait. Restrictions on the used of dead baitfish are designated within the regulations for the specific drainage areas." For example Area 1 as some restrictions on the use of dead baitfish within Grand Teton National Park. You also could not use these where there is a regulation that is for artificial flies and lures only. Since they are dead, there are no issues with transporting them into WY.

, I did ask a Game Warden about this issue, and this was also their take.

Does that answer your first question?

WGFDFishBioLaramie

If you have the 2015 book or get your hands on it, it sounds like page 8 will clear up your answers.

Offline RSice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #430 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:57 AM »
Just wondering why no crappie or perch are stocked in or around sweetwater county? and would they be considered a beneficial or detramental speices to have in say Flaming Gorge? i know myself and some of my fishing friends would love a place near by to catch some good pan fish esp. on the ice.

Offline fishsqueezer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #431 on: Jan 05, 2015, 02:19 PM »
I can take a stab at this one.  I don't manage the Gorge specifically, but I am responsible for many of the waters upstream and they share many characteristics.  You are right, there are political reasons for not introducing perch and crappie into waters in the Green River drainage.  Wyoming is a signatory member of the Colorado River endangered fish recovery program and has agreed against further introduction of predatory fish in the drainage.  We have made a few exceptions, like tiger trout and muskie for example, but these are isolated examples of sterile hybrids and wouldn't have the same widespread impacts downstream and throughout the system. 
More importantly though, are the biological/ecological impacts of fish such as crappie and perch.  Most of the Green River drainage, and all of Western Wyoming for that matter, is marginal habitat for coolwater and warmwater species such as perch, walleye, sunfish, etc.  Though these species in particular would probably fair ok, the problem with managing all of those mouths is keeping them fed, and in Western Wyoming, production of forage for these species of fish would likely come down to trout and salmon.  In the Gorge for example, introduction of perch or crappie especially, would totally eliminate natural reproduction and recruitment of kokanee.  Similarly for most other waters in the drainage, there just aren't suitable locations for them.
Thanks for the question.

Darren Rhea
Fisheries Biologist

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #432 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:00 PM »
I can take a stab at this one.  I don't manage the Gorge specifically, but I am responsible for many of the waters upstream and they share many characteristics.  You are right, there are political reasons for not introducing perch and crappie into waters in the Green River drainage.  Wyoming is a signatory member of the Colorado River endangered fish recovery program and has agreed against further introduction of predatory fish in the drainage.  We have made a few exceptions, like tiger trout and muskie for example, but these are isolated examples of sterile hybrids and wouldn't have the same widespread impacts downstream and throughout the system. 
More importantly though, are the biological/ecological impacts of fish such as crappie and perch.  Most of the Green River drainage, and all of Western Wyoming for that matter, is marginal habitat for coolwater and warmwater species such as perch, walleye, sunfish, etc.  Though these species in particular would probably fair ok, the problem with managing all of those mouths is keeping them fed, and in Western Wyoming, production of forage for these species of fish would likely come down to trout and salmon.  In the Gorge for example, introduction of perch or crappie especially, would totally eliminate natural reproduction and recruitment of kokanee.  Similarly for most other waters in the drainage, there just aren't suitable locations for them.
Thanks for the question.

Darren Rhea
Fisheries Biologist

Your comments are greatly appreciated.  I know from experience that Stienaker at Vernal is crazy full of nice gills this time of year.
Thread killer

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #433 on: Jan 06, 2015, 01:31 PM »

Our Wyoming Game and Fish has offered to volunteer their valuable time to answer our questions. Please keep in mind that their time on the site is very limited, and that not all questions may be answered. Hopefully this thread can be used by both sides to gain valuable insight. Please maintain the Q&A nature of the thread by reserving discussion for separate threads.

All G&F employees are invited to use the thread as a resource to share information, news and events affecting Wyoming sportsmen.

On behalf of our members, I thank the Wyoming G&F for taking the time to contribute to the site and it's members.
Thanks,
Mod Team
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #434 on: Jan 06, 2015, 02:21 PM »
Was hoping I could ask you about baitfish, and a seining license. I've tried doing my homework but really don't know if the following scenario is legal or not. I live in Johnson Co. I want to use dead baitfish on Healy Reservoir or Lake Desmet. Could I, if I had the seining license, trap baitfish on any old pond. Kill them on sight, then use them on either body of water as just bait? Also it seems to me, per the regulations, that neither body of water is allowed to be used for the seining of live baitfish, even though there's special ice fishing provisions. Am I correct it this thought? Thanks again for offering this to us here at ice shanty Wyoming! P.S. 1 more thing if I may, is there information somewhere on what species may be used for baitfish? All game fish are out of course, and the brook stickleback must be dispatched at all cost, but what about suckers, carp? Thanks again!
Fishboy, thanks for the question. The only seining/trapping license available in Area 3 is for the Belle Fourche River and/or Keyhole Reservoir. So you are not allowed to seine or trap at Healy or DeSmet. While the statewide certified minnows are allowed at both Healy and DeSmet, DeSmet and Keyhole are the only waters in Area 3 that have the Special Ice Fishing Provision (6 rods/tip-ups), so at Healy you are only allowed 2 rods/tip-ups. 

We do not have a specific list as to what species can by used as baitfish. As long as they are nongame fish (suckers, carp, shiners, chubs) you can use them as dead bait where the use of such is allowed. So for Healy or DeSmet, you would have to catch carp or suckers hook and line, or buy a seining/trapping license for the Belle Fourche, and kill them before transport to Healy or DeSmet. Although, if you get your hands on the certified minnows Empire Guesthouse in Pine Haven, or the Story Store, you can use live minnows at Healy and DeSmet. Hope this helps.

Offline herf69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #435 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:52 PM »
Hello Game and Fish.
I have a question about fishing East Allen Lake near Medicine Bow, WY.  I am wondering how this lake is to ice fish?  I would like to catch a Bonneville Cutthroat Trout.  I never hear of anyone fishing this lake, and I saw that the lake was stocking 2013.  Was the lake stocked in 2014 with Bonneville Cutthroat Trout?  Also, I was wondering if you could fish with live minnows in the lake?  And another question, related to catching a Bonneville Cutthroat Trout, I am from Denver, CO; and I do want to catch a Bonneville Cutthroat Trout, is East Allen Lake my best bet for lakes that are relatively close or should I look else where?
Thanks for your time
Ty

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Twin Buttes Lake
« Reply #436 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:24 PM »
Hi WGFD fisheries folks,

Questions about Soda Buttes lake in Albany County.  Is there any way/are there any plans to flush the lake a little bit?  Is the water there alkaline/saline or both?  It's turning into a fun lake to fish with some nice trout caught, but never builds much ice and is pretty hard on equipment (the white crusts that grow on augers, rods, line, lures, my boots, the sled, etc.!).  How long do fish actually survive in the lake?  And just FYI - I've caught a few decent trout there (3+ lb) with stomachs filled with immature tiger salamanders. 

Thanks much for any answers.

Dear WyoDoc,

Twin Buttes Reservoir is a natural depression, which can't be drained, and the water it receives to keep it full comes from the canal from Lake Hattie. In addition, there is a natural drainage that flows water into the lake on the south shoreline from snow melt or during spring storms. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department owns 600 acre feet of water from Lake Hattie that is transferred to Twin Buttes annually when Lake Hattie is full enough to divert water to the canal. This input of water from Lake Hattie can really help dilute and lower the salinity levels at Twin Buttes Reservoir. When Lake Hattie is low, water is not diverted to Twin Buttes and as the water recedes from evaporation the salinity level rises. We have measured it at levels that approach sea water, this was in 2008 after 9 years of not receiving water from Lake Hattie. In 2009, we suspected that high salinity levels were thought to be the cause of decreased growth in rainbow trout and the decline in the abundance of rainbow trout in Twin Buttes.  A water sample taken in 2008 and 2009 confirmed the reservoir had a high salinity level and that the high level may be causing stress to stocked fish.  Sampling was conducted in 2009 before the reservoir was stocked to determine fish survival from the prior years stocking.  The reservoir was stocked in 2008 with 45,000 fingerling rainbow trout, but no fish from this stocked cohort were caught in 2009 sampling.  In addition to sampling, live-cars were used to hold sentinel rainbow trout in the reservoir.  These fish were checked periodically within a 24-hour time period to determine their survival post-stocking, a control set of sentinel fish were held in a live-car at Meeboer Lake for comparison.  This experiment was conducted twice at Twin Buttes Reservoir (April 13 and April 15) and once at Meeboer Lake (April 15).  Sentinel rainbow trout survival post-stocking at Twin Buttes Reservoir was poor, whereas all sentinel fish survived being held at Meeboer Lake.  We made the decision in 2009 not to stock fish due to the high salinity. Since 2010, water levels have improved and Lake Hattie is once again supplying water to Twin Buttes and salinity levels are much lower, but still higher than surrounding waters. Currently, we have great rainbow trout survival post-stocking and are once again stocking brown trout into Twin Buttes Reservoir. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
WGFDFishBioLaramie   

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #437 on: Jan 12, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Hello Game and Fish.
I have a question about fishing East Allen Lake near Medicine Bow, WY.  I am wondering how this lake is to ice fish?  I would like to catch a Bonneville Cutthroat Trout.  I never hear of anyone fishing this lake, and I saw that the lake was stocking 2013.  Was the lake stocked in 2014 with Bonneville Cutthroat Trout?  Also, I was wondering if you could fish with live minnows in the lake?  And another question, related to catching a Bonneville Cutthroat Trout, I am from Denver, CO; and I do want to catch a Bonneville Cutthroat Trout, is East Allen Lake my best bet for lakes that are relatively close or should I look else where?
Thanks for your time
Ty

Dear herf69,

Thanks for your interest in East Allen Lake, near Medicine Bow, WY. We did stock 7,800 4-inch tiger trout into East Allen Lake in 2013. The lake was not stocked in 2014 due to budget cuts and you can not use live bait there. In the past 15-years or so, Rainbow Trout and Bear River Cutthroat Trout have been the predominate fish stocked into East Allen. However, post-stocking survival over the last 8 years has been very low. We have collected numerous water samples from the lake over the last number of years as well as testing basic water chemistry annually and nothing has stood out that would indicate why fish are not surviving after being stocked. Now, game fish might not of been surviving, but there are abundant fathead minnows, brook stickleback, and salamanders that have been surviving well in the lake. Our hope was that tiger trout would take advantage of these readily available prey items, grow to large sizes, and create some interest again in the fishery. When we sampled the lake last year we did not catch any tiger trout. They still could be in there thriving, but we just don't know yet. We did catch 2 Rainbow Trout that were 16 inches in our 2014 sampling. Hopefully, sampling in 2015 will provide us with a better picture. In terms of Bear River Cutthroat Trout (aka Bonneville Cutthroat), your best bet would be to wait until July and fish Albany South Twin Lake in the Snowy Range. Their abundance in Albany South Twin Lake had been low the last couple of years, but is right now on the rebound and would be a great place to catch a Bear River in 2015. You can access the trailhead at Big Brooklyn Lake. Easy hike about 1.5 miles. We also stock Bear River's in Lake Hattie, but we stock them in fewer numbers when compared to Rainbow Trout.

Sincerely,
WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline herf69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #438 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:08 PM »
Thank you WGFD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #439 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Did the WGF department stock tiger trout into the Narrows Reservoir?  (SW WY)

Dear Gemcityslayer,

This is outside of my management area, but I don't believe there is a Green River biologist on shanty yet. Looking at our stocking database, 9,000 tiger trout were stocked into Woodruff Narrows Reservoir in June 2014. They were about 3 inches when stocked.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline icepisces

• IceShanty Rookie
Is Paliades Reservoir stocked?
« Reply #440 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:16 AM »
I have read Game and Fish has not stocked the reservoir since the 1970's ?

Offline 2473fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #441 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Hi Game & Fish,

Got a few questions concerning Lake DeSmet:

1)   With the reports and looks to be some "proof" of a couple Lake Trout being caught at Lake Desmet this winter, is it possible that these made their way into the water when  filling up the lake through the Piney Creek Canal years back and spawning has taken place?
2)   Or is it another illegal stocking has accord? 
3)   Through the years of netting practices done through the G&F at the Lake has a Lake Trout been netted?
4)   Is this a concern for the fishery down the road or (probably) to early to tell?

Thanks I appreciate your time!

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #442 on: Jan 20, 2015, 12:34 PM »
Hi Game & Fish,

Got a few questions concerning Lake DeSmet:

1)   With the reports and looks to be some "proof" of a couple Lake Trout being caught at Lake Desmet this winter, is it possible that these made their way into the water when  filling up the lake through the Piney Creek Canal years back and spawning has taken place?
2)   Or is it another illegal stocking has accord? 
3)   Through the years of netting practices done through the G&F at the Lake has a Lake Trout been netted?
4)   Is this a concern for the fishery down the road or (probably) to early to tell?

Thanks I appreciate your time!
Good questions. Just got more proof of lake trout being caught this winter with a few photos delivered to me today. The only stocking records for lake trout in Lake DeSmet was in 1936, so it is quite possible for these lake trout to find their way in through the canal. Whether these come from the lakes above that have lake trout, or some of these are escapees from the Story Hatchery is difficult to say. What lake trout are present should be able to reproduce, but this is the first year we've seen smaller lakers. I would highly doubt that this is an illegal stocking. The closest water with lake trout would be Kearney Reservoir and I doubt they would survive the ATV ride. We sample lake trout on occasion with our sampling gear, but in the eight years I've been here, we've put our hands on 5 of them. The fish we found were large, 4 to 25 pounds. We do not set our nets to specifically catch lake trout, so I guess it's difficult for us to say what the population looks like. On the other hand, if the lake trout population was high, we would likely sample more than 5 in eight years. At this point I don't believe that there is any concern. The population of lake trout is likely low and we stock catchable sized trout to get around the walleye (which was illegally introduced). These catchables should be able to avoid lake trout as well.  Hope this helps.

Offline 2473fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #443 on: Jan 20, 2015, 01:43 PM »
I appreciate the feedback and time the G&F puts forward here! Definitely an interesting scenario with the Lakers! Thanks Again!

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #444 on: Jan 20, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Good questions. Just got more proof of lake trout being caught this winter with a few photos delivered to me today. The only stocking records for lake trout in Lake DeSmet was in 1936, so it is quite possible for these lake trout to find their way in through the canal. Whether these come from the lakes above that have lake trout, or some of these are escapees from the Story Hatchery is difficult to say. What lake trout are present should be able to reproduce, but this is the first year we've seen smaller lakers. I would highly doubt that this is an illegal stocking. The closest water with lake trout would be Kearney Reservoir and I doubt they would survive the ATV ride. We sample lake trout on occasion with our sampling gear, but in the eight years I've been here, we've put our hands on 5 of them. The fish we found were large, 4 to 25 pounds. We do not set our nets to specifically catch lake trout, so I guess it's difficult for us to say what the population looks like. On the other hand, if the lake trout population was high, we would likely sample more than 5 in eight years. At this point I don't believe that there is any concern. The population of lake trout is likely low and we stock catchable sized trout to get around the walleye (which was illegally introduced). These catchables should be able to avoid lake trout as well.  Hope this helps.

Are the lake trout viewed as detrimental to the fishery?  I know De Smet has the depth for them, but would it have a noticeable effect on the rainbows, cutthroats, and browns?  I've often wondered why there is not a large population of lake trout.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #445 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:36 PM »
Another one for Desmet. Has the WYGF ever discussed the idea of commencing lake trout stocking in the future?
So many fish, so little time.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #446 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:32 AM »
Are the lake trout viewed as detrimental to the fishery?  I know De Smet has the depth for them, but would it have a noticeable effect on the rainbows, cutthroats, and browns?  I've often wondered why there is not a large population of lake trout.
At this point we don't believe that there is a big enough population to have any noticeable impact on our stocked fish. We sample DeSmet annually, so hopefully we will be able to notice any changes.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #447 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:42 AM »
Another one for Desmet. Has the WYGF ever discussed the idea of commencing lake trout stocking in the future?
At this point, we have not discussed introducing lake trout in larger numbers. We already have an introduced predator with the walleye (albeit illegal), and we also have a decent number of very large brown trout (upwards of 16lbs is what I've personally seen). Another predator who can put down a ton of groceries may not be the best idea.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #448 on: Jan 23, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to respond. We appreciate your input.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline cold feet82901

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #449 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:38 PM »
did they plant walleye in bridger pond in sweet water county(or is it just a rumer)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.