Author Topic: Any ideas on shanty anchors?  (Read 10695 times)

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Any ideas on shanty anchors?
« on: Jan 04, 2005, 02:49 PM »
Hey. I just picked up a new Eskimo Quick Flip 2 and am looking for some creative ideas on anchors. I couldn't find any commercially made ones, so I'm having to resort to something homemade. I appreciate any help with this, as the wind here in Montana gets pretty harsh.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Any ideas on shanty anchors?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2005, 04:01 PM »
Tie a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" rope about 5 to 10" long from each back corner. At the ends of the rope tie either a piece of 1/2" X 12" PVC or steel conduit. Drill a couple of extra holes and drop the ends through the holes and let them catch on the holes. Viola, instant anchors. I prefer steel conduit to PVC since PVC tends to get brittle when it is cold, but I have seen both used. Put your back to the wind and no more Ice Sail problems.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2005, 04:27 PM »
I use those rubber coated (yellow or red) wood hooks you get for 89cents at Wallyworld. Take my advice if its a windy day you better screw them down into the ice first before you set up your portable. Its not fun chasing your shack250yards on the open ice.  Not that i know that from experience :wacko:
Tie your shant rope at each each corner and you should be all set.

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2005, 04:43 PM »
These are the very best and will last forever .

http://www.iceshanty.com/shantystop/

TD

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Strikemaster makes a set that works pretty good, they fold into ice picks as well. The kits somes with brackets to mount into the sled of the shanty, that stay on. The ice locks quick connect, to the brackets when needed with a rope knot that secures the connection under tension. The set comes with 2 locks, you do have to drill holes with your auger to lock the locks in place. The locks are adjustable for different sized ice holes. You can get them direct from Strikemaster on there online store. Cabelas also carries them both in retail store and catalog/online site. They retail for $24.99 for the set, with brackets.

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2005, 09:02 PM »
I use ice screws (the kind that are used for ice climbing). I figure if their strong enough to trust with your life, they should work fine for a shanty. They are usually about $30 each, however, i got a great buy off e-bay and got 4 for $38.
Ice screws and carabeners never fail.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2005, 09:13 PM »
I did the ice fishermans bullride a couple days ago. i was pulling up a tipup cause a storm was coming and it started getting windy. they guys fishing next to me both were out of their shanty when the wind gusted and blew it right towards me. I though for a second and decided to try to grab it and stop it cause i was wearing cleats and it was only a clam. mistake. The winds must have kicked up to about 25-30 mph so, cause  when i grabbed it it jerked me around and i started sliding with it. i dug my cleats in to try to get some braking action but to limited success. i got dragged for about a hundred yards or so before i was able to stop it. you could see drag marks on the ice from my cleats the whole way ! when i stopped it i looked back and seen four people running as fast as they could without falling my way. when the two gentleman who owned the shanty and the two others in my party got there got there two of them stood in the shanty to weigh it down while breaking it down and i still had to hold it from sliding in the wind ! I was the only one wearing cleats at the time and was sliding so fast i was moving faster than they could run in the beginning !

I would use rebar as an anchor by either driving it throught the ice like a steak or putting it down the hole secured with a rope of course.

Flathead

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2005, 01:11 AM »
I use the screw in type i think they are strikemasters. I dont like drillin extra holes if I dont have too. I tryied nails/rebar once allways cracked the ice an poped out.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2005, 12:34 PM »
I bought my first shanty this year, a Frabill XLTwin. I had no experience in anchoring a shanty. Friends of mine just used the HT anchors and went right through the floor of the shed in all 4 corners. It's probably fine, but I just could bear the thought of drilling holes in a new shanty that I just paid $500 for and I didn't want to mess around with tying and untying knots in rope... Here's what I did.

There are several holes around the lip of the sled in my Frabill.. I bought stainless steel eyebolts and the hardware to go with them and 4 turnbuckles. I screw the HT ice anchors in the ice... Predrilling with a cordless drill is even faster and then attach the turnbuckles between the eybolts and ice anchors and tighten them down. The whole process can be done with gloves on and is incredibly easy.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2005, 02:04 PM »
Good idea Blaine. Thanks guys for all of your help.

P Gottshall

« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2005, 06:40 PM »
Nice idea Blaine.  How easy is it to screw into the ice?

To the inventions board. . .

Paul

Offline gillmanwi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2006, 12:31 PM »
i was cheap and bought some eye screws at the hardware store and some turn buckles and some rope and some of those clip thigs tie the rope to the clip and the turn buckle   clip the clip on the shack and screw in the eye bolt and hook together hope you guys understand this  sorry if it is confusing

gillman

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2006, 09:49 PM »
Check your army surplus store. I found some that are hollow round spikes with a ring at the top. I have to chop them out when I head home, Best part is they cost less than a buck each. STAY WARM  afishingfool

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2006, 12:42 PM »
I also have the strikemaster anchors they are easy to use and are will not come loose by them selves. Bought mine on sale for $12.00. When there is not snow pack you have to use them.

Offline nessman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2009, 02:14 PM »
I use 6"x3/8 lag screws with 1-1/2" fender washers... have a short length of rope at each corner of my shanty with a loop tied in at each end... just a matter of pounding the lag screws in halfway with a hammer and using whatever you want to screw them down and take them out - in my case - a ratchet wrench with an 8" extension and a 1/2" socket. 

Works great - screws and washers cost me around $5 at Home Depot. 

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2009, 01:45 AM »
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=WP1WJOXQY0LFVLAQBBICCOVMCAEFCIWE?id=0042223119087a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0890550&cm_ite=0042223119087a&_requestid=942

I made some myself at home, and came about about $5 bucks behind. I did make some for my brother though so I guess it was a wash.  I put the metal handle of my skimmer through the the ice screws, and then spin it to screw them in after I get them started.  Also makes it a breeze for unscrewing them out.   Don't try to pull them out unless its real soft ice i bent my screws that way.  Figure out where you want to put your shelter, then make sure the back of it is into the wind.  Attach the anchors before you set it up.  The ones I made have stood up to about 40mph wind so far.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 20, 2009, 01:49 AM »
I have the Clam anchors that are listed above from Cabelas.  One set for my Scout and two sets for my Yukon.  I have never had to use them yet, and haven't mounted them on the Yukon yet.  I took a ride in my Scout last winter, and immediately bought a set.  They should work fine as long as you screw them all the way down into the ice. 

Jeff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.