Author Topic: Spring Bobbers  (Read 15227 times)

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Spring Bobbers
« on: Jan 02, 2005, 10:03 AM »
Okay, does anybody have any thoughts on spring bobbers?  I've never used them (I'm a tightliner) but been thinking about giving them a try.  Is it worth the time?  What works, what doesn't?  Anybody have a favorite type or brand?  Any alternatives?
Maybe this has been discussed before, but I don't remember seeing anything, so how 'bout giving me your thoughts or opinions?

Offline cropburner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Spring Bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2005, 10:39 AM »
I cant imagine fishing for panfish without one, subtle bites are easily detected.
Afew years ago I used a Bic pen spring stretched out a bit, but since moved on to a store bought one
its about 5" long and has a red bead on the end, I don't recall who made it, they were cheap enough to give a try and they were a two pack.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2005, 11:47 AM »
These guys sell some really sensitive spring bobbers (strike indicators). Check it out!   .    your bobbers down   dot  com
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2005, 10:04 PM »
after reading about them on this board I had to try one.  I made one out of a pen spring.. tied it on with 6-0 flytying thread.  works great..  can see the tug or lift before you can feel'em..
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

P Gottshall

« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2005, 10:46 PM »

robman

« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2005, 11:53 PM »
I've noticed many more bites with the spring bobbers. Gander Mountain sells some for about $1.50 each which snap right on your pole (ouch?). Anywho...I recommend them.

P Gottshall

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2005, 09:21 AM »
Just noticed this in my In-Fisherman "Ice Fishing Secrets" book.  Put a button on the line between the 2nd & 3rd ferrrulls (sp?) of your pole.  It will hang down a bit, & will jump up or down when you get a hit.

This doesn't seem as sensitive as a spring bobber, but if you're caught without one, seems like a great idea.

Paul

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2007, 11:44 AM »
How in the heck do you attach those cheap spring bobbers with the"red ball" at one end? They have a circular bend at the other end that you slide a spring over to "supposively" fix it to your pole. When I tried to attach at the end of the pole it just flopped everywhere. Plus, it stuck out 6 inches. Then I moved back down a couple of eyelets towards the reel, attached it so it was above/on top of the pole, then ran then line through it to the first eyelet. This seemed to work ok, but I still don't think I've got it right.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2007, 01:16 PM »
I use spring bobbers because they are really good for detecting light bites, but I think they are a pain in the rear.  I always have probles withthem freezing up, the line wrapping around them or having them fall off at the wrong time.  I think I would rather go with an ultralight rod with a very flexible tip for panfish.

By the way, those who use the ones made with an actual spring, do you thread your line through the entire spring or just through a couple of the coils on the end?  I have always had major problems getting a light weight line through the entire spring.  Any tricks out there?

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2007, 02:32 PM »
How in the heck do you attach those cheap spring bobbers with the"red ball" at one end? They have a circular bend at the other end that you slide a spring over to "supposively" fix it to your pole. When I tried to attach at the end of the pole it just flopped everywhere. Plus, it stuck out 6 inches. Then I moved back down a couple of eyelets towards the reel, attached it so it was above/on top of the pole, then ran then line through it to the first eyelet. This seemed to work ok, but I still don't think I've got it right.

Iceman, this what your talking about?  All you need is a St. Croix spring bobber of your choice, a number 8 eyelet, a rubber gromet to fit inside the eyelet, some fly tying string or dacron and epoxy.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2007, 02:42 PM »
 I use cheap spring bobbers for panfish and they have the nice shrink wrap tube included with them. I too have problems with light lines and threading them. I carry 20lb flouro for leaders and I thread that through the spring bobber and then tie it to the light thine and pull through.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2007, 06:36 PM »
A threading tool , for loading your fly tying bobbin works, but they get lost easily. Take a piece of 27# wire leader and bend it into a tight loop, then tape one end together, and you can rig up on ice. The tight, spring type bobbers are a pain when it gets really cold, as they freeze up. After fishing the St. Croix mentioned above, I was very pleased with the results. The loop is large, so re-rigging is simple, and they are adjustable, too. The best part was I had over 50 bucks in Cabela's points, so the rod an bobber were free!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2007, 06:08 AM »
I have them on almost all my poles    Helps determine the health of my bait too     now for attaching them    prob alot of us   now admit it....   electrical or duct tape em!   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

chimo

« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2007, 06:35 AM »
yup, thats what I did.  I have one of the ones that is from a schooley rod on mine and I tried the hot glue but then ended up taping it on anyways.  not pretty but it worked for last year although I still just like to watch my line for the most part.  good fishing

chimo

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2007, 12:41 PM »
I have always just used a spring. I make sure it isn't too long or too short. Make sure it is a spring you can work with. Too tight/stiff and you can't do much, too light/thin wire and it is too soft, too large diameter and it spins around, too small of a diameter and it won't go on the rod w/o causing damage. At one end I pull it apart a bit to space the coils out. Then between the tip and next guide I will wrap the spring around the rod so that once on, the spring is on the bottom of the rod and goes through the tip guide. With the spaces I made by pulling the coils apart slightly the line slides right into the spring and then goes through the spring and the tip. Any type of freezing is dealt with by just holding my fingers tightly on the spring, melting the ice and allowing the line to slip through again. I'll try to get a pic up if anyone is interested. Alot of variations, methods and pre made products out there. I just use this since it works fine for me  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2007, 01:43 AM »
i made some out of old guitar strings, works great because i can have different sizes some more sensetive some less, during light bites they are a life saver.

Offline bluegill63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2007, 12:38 PM »
Frabil makes spring bobbers that fit into the eye of your rod. I use them and they work fine. I usually just watch my vex then watch my line anyways.

Gill

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2007, 01:57 PM »
The best I've ever used are the spring out of a Bic ligther.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2007, 11:47 AM »
By the way, those who use the ones made with an actual spring, do you thread your line through the entire spring or just through a couple of the coils on the end?  I have always had major problems getting a light weight line through the entire spring.  Any tricks out there?
Van Cleaver was right...the bobbin threader for fly tying works great. You can also make them with stainless leader wire or piano wire and a splitshot. Just take a length of wire about 8"-10" long, bend it in half so that you form a tight "pointed" end...not an open loop. Hold the other two ends close together and crimp a medium to large splitshot onto them firmly. You can make several of them up cheap and they work great. Just push the pointed end through your spring...slide a couple of inches of your line into the loop and pull it back through the spring. It sure helps these tired ol' eyes out ;)...WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2007, 08:56 PM »
Spring bobbers can make virtually any ice fishing pole (even stiff walleye/pike ones) effective for panfish. They are a must unless your pole is extremely sensative (all jokes aside :D).
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline blackdogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2007, 02:41 PM »
I use to have a great rod for ice fishing so I didn't need to use a spring,  then some dumb box I took fishing left it in the hole while we were tending to a tipup and in she went...  The rod I mean, turns out I prolly shoulda thrown her in too!!!!

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2007, 12:19 AM »
I use to have a great rod for ice fishing so I didn't need to use a spring,  then some dumb box I took fishing left it in the hole while we were tending to a tipup and in she went...  The rod I mean, turns out I prolly shoulda thrown her in too!!!!
So....were you "compensated" for the loss of this favorite fishing rod?.... ;D..WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline blackdogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2007, 10:13 AM »
So....were you "compensated" for the loss of this favorite fishing rod?.... ;D..WK

Like I said, I shoulda thrown her ass in too... ;)

Offline IceMANCooketh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2007, 12:23 PM »
Lots of good info on this topic.  I have a question about using spring bobbers similar to the St. Croix Legend rod style and IceNutter's less expensive method (great idea by the way):

While using the spring bobber, do u jig with it like you would with no spring or do u leave it be like a deadstick and just watch the spring like a normal float?

I have not used them yet, but am planning on using them this season. 

Is it easy to get a feel for the rhythm of the spring while jigging and watch for variations or is it more effective just deadsticked?

Tight lines and hard water.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2007, 01:03 PM »

While using the spring bobber, do u jig with it like you would with no spring or do u leave it be like a deadstick and just watch the spring like a normal float?
I use them both ways.....another advantage to the spring bobber is because they are naturally bowed downward....a lot of times you are able to "see" the take of a light biter that actually lifts your offering causing the bobber to straighten or spring up.. 8)...WK

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.