Author Topic: man made fish habitat  (Read 5927 times)

Offline AGPILOT10

• IceShanty Rookie
man made fish habitat
« on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:24 PM »
I would like to see some pictures of artificial habitat holding fish to get some ideas to build some.  Even if it wasn't placed on purpose to hold fish. If any of you camera fisherman have anything that would be great.  Thanks.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: man made fish habitat
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Check out my video in a post labeled "momma said there would be days like this" there was a single pallet holding all those crappie
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:13 PM »
laying flat or on its side?

Offline AGPILOT10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:17 PM »
looks like on its side at low angle.  Hard to believe that just that one pallet is what is holding them there but it does look to be the case.

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2011, 11:39 PM »
I personally don't think the pallet is what brought all those crappies in.

Something else, baitfish, weather pattern, storm, etc, etc, etc.

No way one pallet on the bottom is the only thing keeping those crappies around.

This.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:55 AM »
I don't have an underwater camera, but I do make structure and sink it.

I use bamboo because it's free, I like to use the "trunks" without branches so they'll be relatively snag free.

I also like to make them BIG

I make a plywood form and secure the stalks with deck screws and tie wire.

I fill them with 50 lbs of concrete.

I use a large diameter bamboo

I sink quite a few at a time.

When sinking bamboo you need to drill a small hole at the top and bottom of each joint to let air out and water in. Bamboo is very buoyant and these structures would float if they weren't drilled. It looks like a jacuzzi tub when I sink them. I sunk these last year and they're all still in the same spots. I sink 2 to a spot.

You can do the same thing with PVC pipe, it's just a lot more expensive.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline triggerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:44 AM »
have a small pond I fish with no cover, we have sunk old xmas trees in it (yes in the winter it was a very large hole)  these work great but you run the risk of snags all the time

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:46 AM »
Man GCD, you make some big structure.  I bet you get some looks pulling that around.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Do you have to have a permitt to do that where you live.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:56 AM »
If you live where bamboo grows I don't think you do much ice fishing???

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:23 AM »
Man GCD, you make some big structure.  I bet you get some looks pulling that around.

Not that uncommon to see someone driving down the road with with a boat and xmas trees, bamboo, cedar trees, or PVC structures around here.

Do you have to have a permitt to do that where you live.

No permit needed. Most people use common sense when putting out structure here.

I sink mine in 18-20' of water so as not to be a navigation hazzard.

If you live where bamboo grows I don't think you do much ice fishing???

No, I don't get to do a lot of ice fishing.

... but you may be surprised as to how far north bamboo will grow.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:59 PM »
2 weeks ago i made 5 reefs,,i took 1 gal empty jugs,filled them with dry concrete,,3/4 full,,and add water,,then took 6ft of 60lbs mono and tied a empty 1gal jug filled 1/2 with water for proper buoyancy,,then i took my wife's old plastic fake window plants and tied them to the mono,,i dropped 5 down 2 weeks ago,,about 15ft apart,,went and fished it on sat,,was holding perch and bass,,,viewed with my fish TV,,my lake has no structure at all,,,so it seems to work

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2011, 03:10 PM »
I bought another 4 pac of "weed ez" artificial weeds so now I have 8, I am going to put them all around my big ice shack this weekend and leave them in, I'll let you know how they work. I have a camera so I'm interested to see how they attract fish.

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2011, 04:41 PM »
I personally don't think the pallet is what brought all those crappies in.

Something else, baitfish, weather pattern, storm, etc, etc, etc.

No way one pallet on the bottom is the only thing keeping those crappies around.

Haven't you ever seen fish cribs? I fished a spot in the UP that had some submerged branches and there was easily 60-100 rock bass on it every time we went there. I think anywhere smaller fish can hide from predators and find food will hold fish.

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2011, 04:50 PM »
I dint think that is legal to do in Pa. at least in the state parks. I know of one state park they let the Boy scouts do a project and they placed some cribs but I dint think any local can go out and sink plants or trees, If you were able to do this I would be sinking them in one lake that I fish that has no cover and very little weeds

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I dint think that is legal to do in Pa. at least in the state parks. I know of one state park they let the Boy scouts do a project and they placed some cribs but I dint think any local can go out and sink plants or trees, If you were able to do this I would be sinking them in one lake that I fish that has no cover and very little weeds

That's such a waste, building fish habitat only enriches the fishery.

A lot of states encourage this and have ongoing programs for habitat building.

You should check with your DNR and park Ranger station and see if you just need a permit, or if there's an area where this is allowed. A lot of times they just want to know what you're going to put in the lake and where you're going to put it... mainly to avoid navigation hazards.

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:08 PM »
my club makes porcupine cribs...you can see them in this link...scroll towards the bottom...made of 2x2 crisscrossed like a log cabin and anchored with 6 concrete blocks...our local fish commission helps out and they last upwards of 10 yrs...

http://www.nanticokeconservationclub.com/id8.html

our ice derby results and photos are there as well

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:14 PM »
looks like fun man, I live near Tamaqua, Are you guys some sort of club?? I would like to hook up with you guys when you are on the ice of I see there are some Derbys also

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:22 PM »
my club makes porcupine cribs...you can see them in this link...scroll towards the bottom...made of 2x2 crisscrossed like a log cabin and anchored with 6 concrete blocks...our local fish commission helps out and they last upwards of 10 yrs...

http://www.nanticokeconservationclub.com/id8.html

our ice derby results and photos are there as well

Looks like a bunch of rednecks and hooligans (except for the girl with the beard and ponytail)...

... my kinda people!!! (except for the girl with the beard and ponytail) ;)

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:46 PM »
more the merrier!!  our derby is sat, feb 5th this year at frances slocum state park...click on the same link above and on the right click on ice derby for more info...I also believe we posted it on the tournements page under PA.

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

ICE REBEL

« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2011, 06:12 PM »
Yes Rebelfisher it is under the pa derby page. Nam69 the club is a great time and a great bunch of guys. As you seen on our web site we do a lot of things for the wildlife and work with the game and fish commission. Like Rebelfisher had said this years derby is Feb. 5th at Frances Slocum come out and have a good time. The club also has a 50/50 drawing at the derby and the big ticket prize this year is going to be a ice shanty among other prizes as well. We also have refreshments like soup,hotdogs and coffee and a few other things as well. It is really a good time.

Offline AGPILOT10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Those ideas both look good thanks for sharing

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:43 PM »
I bought another 4 pac of "weed ez" artificial weeds so now I have 8, I am going to put them all around my big ice shack this weekend and leave them in, I'll let you know how they work. I have a camera so I'm interested to see how they attract fish.
looking forward to a report.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:44 AM »
I have made "trees" out of pvc, concrete and 5 gallon buckets.  I have also anchored christmas trees with cinder blocks.  Both work relatively well.  The pvc is more expensive and can be a PITA to set right, but they do not snag your hooks.  My current winter habitat project is to band six 6' lengths of 6" drain tile into pyramids and drop them into the pond this spring.  Hopefully, the channel cats will use them for breeding structure. 

You really need to cater your structure to the fish you are after.  Panfish like stuff that they can hide in.  Usually flat with lots of openings in it.  Bass like cover that is more vertical.  Go to pondboss.com and search for "artificial structure".  There are literally hundreds of ideas there.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:15 PM »
don't think i can sink any kind of perm. structure here.  All i have used and hear being used around here is the fake weeds that i think aqua view came up with a couple of years ago.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.