The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Tip-up Regulations/ Tip-up Bait  (Read 12214 times)

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tip-up Regulations/ Tip-up Bait
« on: Jan 16, 2011, 04:26 PM »
I am new to tip-ups and got a few questions. On Michigan public lakes, is it legal to use small fish such as little perch and bluegill you catch as tip-up bait? Also, how many tip-ups can you use per person when you are also using a jigging rod?
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline crosscobra

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Give em the beans
Re: Tip-up Regulations/ Tip-up Bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2011, 04:32 PM »
yes u can use small perch gills and specs however they do need to count towards your possion limit. You can use 3 lines at any time. So if have 1 jigging rod u can use 2 tip ups. the tip need your full name and address on them.
"Huddle round the shanty momma, Put a good buzz on!"

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Thanks a bunch.  I catch a bunch of little perch on the lake I am fishing tomorrow and I thought they would be good for bait so now I don't need to buy any  :)
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline crosscobra

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Give em the beans
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2011, 05:27 PM »
yeah they will work no doubt. What i like to do is cut off the tail fins. It makes the bait appear wounded and i get more strikes that way myself. Good luck
"Huddle round the shanty momma, Put a good buzz on!"

Offline Ducker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:29 PM »
One thing I like to do with the small perch is keep them high off the bottom 3-4' if you are fishing in 10-12' fow.  The clearer the lake the higher i like to set them.  I've done really well on some lakes in the Michiana area for big pike with this method. 

Good luck

Offline Sleddude1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2011, 06:39 AM »
yes u can use small perch gills and specs however they do need to count towards your possion limit. You can use 3 lines at any time. So if have 1 jigging rod u can use 2 tip ups. the tip need your full name and address on them.

Say my buddy and I are fishing and I own 4 tip ups all with my name on them, so we set them all. Then he and I each use a jigging pole too. Do you think the DNR is smart enough to realize he is manning 2 of the tipups too? Or just ticket me for too many with my name on them? I would pick the later based on my past experiences with them.

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:44 AM »
Say my buddy and I are fishing and I own 4 tip ups all with my name on them, so we set them all. Then he and I each use a jigging pole too. Do you think the DNR is smart enough to realize he is manning 2 of the tipups too? Or just ticket me for too many with my name on them? I would pick the later based on my past experiences with them.
I would have to say you are O.K.  For I have done that before.  When I take a few friends salmon fishing out on my boat in the summer, all of the rods are technically mine.  When I take my boy out fishing, the tip-ups he uses do not have his name on them, but mine.  As long as you and your group are fishing the correct number of lines, it does not matter the owner.   
rippin' lips one fish at a time 

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:52 AM »
I was checked on Pontiac Lake for this. But because me and each person I loaned traps to knew which ones were being used by whom we were ok. But had we no idea who was using which, then tickets would have been issued. Hope this helps instead of confuses you.

Offline on_point

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Whats constitutes an unattended tip-up.   I've seen people set tip ups and than drive off on a quad or snowmobile and come back and check every hour or so.   Also seen people that live on lakes and set them in front of there homes and watch there lines from the comfort of there Lazy boy.      Just kinda curious if anyone has gotten tickets for this?

Offline Sleddude1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Whats constitutes an unattended tip-up.   I've seen people set tip ups and than drive off on a quad or snowmobile and come back and check every hour or so.   Also seen people that live on lakes and set them in front of there homes and watch there lines from the comfort of there Lazy boy.      Just kinda curious if anyone has gotten tickets for this?

I've heard the same, most DNR are pretty strict about it. I would say 50ft away could spark an argument with them. Just depends on the officer. It's easier to just bring the lazy boy out to the ice!

Offline KPOD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:54 PM »
I've heard the same, most DNR are pretty strict about it. I would say 50ft away could spark an argument with them. Just depends on the officer. It's easier to just bring the lazy boy out to the ice!

50 ft? I normally run mine in a circle around me (assuming I have enough when fishing with a friend) and normally they are anywhere from 30 ft to 50 yards away, never had a DNR officer say anything about them yet. As long as it's during the day and I can clearly see the flag and get over there within a couple minutes of the flag going up (normally let the fish take the bait for a couple minutes anyways so the hook gets nice and caught), I would make a strong argument for the DNR officer.

Offline saltydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:40 AM »
one of the guys down on the lake has a tip up that has a pager that goes off when the flags up works up to 600 feet away .that way its never unattended.

Offline KPOD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:57 AM »
one of the guys down on the lake has a tip up that has a pager that goes off when the flags up works up to 600 feet away .that way its never unattended.

I love it  ;D

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:27 AM »
My neighbor is a CO......his rule is 5 minutes.  If he trips your flag you have exactly 5 minutes to get to it or it's unattended....

Offline jvanhees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:43 AM »
My neighbor is a CO......his rule is 5 minutes.  If he trips your flag you have exactly 5 minutes to get to it or it's unattended....

I think that is a respectable rule
Ducks Unlimited - Huron Valley Chapter

Offline KPOD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:14 AM »
I think that is a respectable rule

For sure, especially if I can hop on a snowmobile to get to it  ;)

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:48 AM »
Just a quick question about the Lines, I know in the past it was always 2 lines per person, did they recently change this?...

Offline Pauly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:34 AM »
* repost * Taken from the 2010 Michigan Fishing Guide

Hook and Line Fishing: Fish so taken must be hooked in the mouth. Fish not hooked in the mouth must be returned to the water immediately. No more than three lines per person (including tip-ups) nor more than six hooks or lures may be used. All hooks attached to an artificial bait or “night crawler harness” are counted as one hook. Hooks must be baited or attached to an artificial bait. You may use any number of hooks on one line for taking smelt in recognized smelt waters. Tip-ups   and similar devices used for ice fishing must show the angler’s name and address. All lines must be under immediate control. Hook size regulations exist on certain streams (see Exceptions to General Regulations by County, p. 16-18).
"Insert witty comment here"

Offline quiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Does it really stink in here!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:57 PM »
lazy man in house watching tipup from lazyboy gets ticket, My buddy lived on the lake tipup was 60 yds out back door ticket was written. The co didnt even have the bait outa the water when we got to him.

Offline Tim Burr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:45 PM »
Say my buddy and I are fishing and I own 4 tip-ups all with my name on them, so we set them all. Then he and I each use a jigging pole too. Do you think the DNR is smart enough to realize he is manning 2 of the tip-ups too? Or just ticket me for too many with my name on them? I would pick the later based on my past experiences with them.
Right, Good points throughout this blog. Know its old. Why start a bunch of new messages. Be great to add to the old ones though. I think these Mich. regs are close to IN. Once again google sends me to Shantey, Why I joined ICESHANTY
Looks Like a Good Spot

Offline jschragg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2019, 09:29 AM »
I use mailing address labels on my tip ups. Usually last a season and then replace!  :tipup:
Keep your stick on the ice

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2019, 11:12 AM »
I’ve lived in Clare county my entire life and I’ve never had a bad run in with the dnr. I only have my name on my tipups, if they want my address I’ll give them my ID. They’ve never asked for it because the name on my license matches the name on the tip up. I monitor them closely. If a CO were to trip one, I’d see the entire engagement. I’m no more than 30 yards away from them at any given time. I also treat every CO I encounter with respect. I don’t swear and I use my manners. I don’t ever fish without a license and I’m always legal so I don’t have anything to worry about but good manners can get you a very long way with your local CO’s.

For using catches as bait, you can use any legally caught fish (method, length, and season) from the same body of water as bait. It does count towards your limit. The “Notes” app on smart phones is a good way to quickly log your catches so you don’t run into limit issues. Especially if you’re using some for tip-ups (whole fish) and some for cut bait. You can keep track of everything much better than just trying to explain everything you’re doing.. Having that ready to show a CO shows them that you’re taking every effort to comply with regulations.  More brownie points for you.

3 line limit 6 hook max in any combination. When I set tip-ups, I set 2 and jig with one rod. So you could have two tip-ups out (2 lines, 2 hooks) and jig with main jig and a dropper (1 line, 2 hooks) and still be legal. Smelt guys can use 1 line 6 hooks if they wanted too but then they could only use 1 line. I’m not sure how quick-strike rigs fall into this though since it’s technically 2 hooks. That would be a good question for a CO.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Thanks a bunch.  I catch a bunch of little perch on the lake I am fishing tomorrow and I thought they would be good for bait so now I don't need to buy any  :)
Keep in mind it is illegal to move fish from one lake to another. So the bait you plan to use needs to come from the lake you plan to fish.
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.