New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: otsego lake  (Read 11358 times)

Offline shmob

• IceShanty Rookie
  • catch&release into the grease
otsego lake
« on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:19 PM »
have not seen any post on or about Otsego lake cooperstown.
more spikes please

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
Re: otsego lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:33 PM »
probabally because there is nothing to report unless you want the swimming conditions

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Check out the NY reports and conditions board:

][http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=13665.20]
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:39 PM »
The north half froze over last Thursday. The remainder froze Monday night. On Tuesday I tried to fish it off Glimmerglass (too scary!), about 3 inches of ice, 3 Mile Point had about 1 1/2 inches. We had about 8 inches of snow Wednesday. I can't imagine that it made much ice Wednesday night. We had lake effect (2-3") and brisk winds today, with a high of about 19 (it was 7 degrees this morning). It is 11 degrees right now and a low of around 5-6 tonight. If some of the snow blew off there <MAY> be areas of safe ice on the north end. I plan on checking it tomorrow and I will report in the NY Reports and Conditions forum:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=13665.0

BIGJim223

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:45 PM »
Hey Big Jim:  Thanks for the detailed and informative posts!  Ever get the scoop on using sleds out of Glimmerglass?  I sent the NYS Park Authority and email today posing the question but so far no reply.  How much snow cover is on the lake right now? 

Thanks- Mike

Offline matthewwood25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:17 PM »
hey jager when we gonna hook up and do a little fishing

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2011, 02:54 AM »
Hey Big Jim:  Thanks for the detailed and informative posts!  Ever get the scoop on using sleds out of Glimmerglass?  I sent the NYS Park Authority and email today posing the question but so far no reply.  How much snow cover is on the lake right now? 

Thanks- Mike
Hey Mike! Hows  your head?  Any word on Glenida yet?

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:26 PM »

Thanks- Mike

Mike: I didn't get there today, dang work got in my way until 5pm! I did see a guy and his dog out fishing just north of 5 Mile Point this morning around 10am. Had  tip ups set in a line out in 50-60 FOW. Nobody was out at 3 Mile Point at that time. I hope to get out off of Glimmerglass in the morning. I will stop in the park office and check on the snowmobile situation, and post later tomorrow.
Stay safe out there!

BIGJim223

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:18 PM »
Mike: I didn't get there today, dang work got in my way until 5pm! I did see a guy and his dog out fishing just north of 5 Mile Point this morning around 10am. Had  tip ups set in a line out in 50-60 FOW. Nobody was out at 3 Mile Point at that time. I hope to get out off of Glimmerglass in the morning. I will stop in the park office and check on the snowmobile situation, and post later tomorrow.
Stay safe out there!

BIGJim223

Thanks a bunch Jim!

Mike

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2011, 11:06 AM »
OK! Here's the deal on snowmobiles/ATV's in Glimmerglass. NO riding on Park lands~BUT~ you can park in the West Lot, unload, and access the lake. All machines must be registered/insured, and helmets must be worn. Park closes at dark, you must be out by dark. This info is directly from the park office, this morning. They highly recommended waiting until the ice get thicker!

No one out there fishing this morning, that surprised me, there was somebody at 3 MIle Point that had tip ups out, though I was in a hurry and didn't stop. They must have been in their vehicle, as there was no one out on the ice, just a string of tip ups fairly close to shore. I am <trying> to get out for later this afternoon, see what happens...

BIGJim223

Offline Adirondackhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2011, 01:51 PM »
Bigjim,

Before I say this I want you to know that I am glad to see some people on here try to help everyone else out. I think it is great.

I can't believe the Debbie downers haven't started harassing ou about posting information on here, especially on an extremely competitive lake like Otsego!

Can't wit to get out there myself! My jig pole has been feeling neglected.

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Bigjim,
Before I say this I want you to know that I am glad to see some people on here try to help everyone else out. I think it is great.

DITTO  :bow: :clap:

I can't believe the Debbie downers haven't started harassing ou about posting information on here,

DITTO ... And funny  :roflmao:

Can't wit to get out there myself! My jig pole has been feeling neglected

DITTO  :woot:
 :icefish:
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Ditto! with me too !  Keep the posts coming on Otsego.  Thanks Paul
Paul

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:12 PM »
  "quote"  I can't believe the Debbie downers haven't started harassing you about posting information on here,

Let's see here.....I gave info on ice thickness and warned it was scary.  9.2 miles of lake, 1 mile wide, I checked 2 places that have access. I hope I didn't give away anyone's secret spot! Some of my best fish are caught in the middle of Glimmerglass's West Parking Lot! If your good you won't even have to get out of your ride.......

Next.... I gave requested info on sled/ATV access in Glimmerglass State Park. Anyone could pick up a phone and call the park for the same inf. Here's the # (607) 547-8662  I just happen to live next door. So much for that state secret! It's out! 

Oh yeah, don't forget that I was asked how much snow was on the lake and what the temperature was.... big deal!

Anyone want to know where they keep all the big Lakers and browns in Otsego???? HINT! Not in the West Parking Lot! How about the price of gas at the local stations? I have all the top secret 411! Just ask........

I must have been mistaken when I thought this site was all about SHARING information.
    Some history:
 I have been fishing (ICE and liquid) for give or take 52 years, 47 of them within 7 miles of Glimmerglass SP, well before Glimmerglass was even proposed. Owned my first boat on Otsego when I was 13 years old (13th birthday present), and my father had a boat on the lake well before I was born, and up to the day he passed on.

So pi$$ on "The Debbie Downers" if I gave to much info! Hate to give away any info on "their" lake.

To all that would like some honest answers to their questions on Otsego, I will gladly answer them to the best of my ability. Just ask!

BIGJim223

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2011, 04:57 AM »
BIGjim223
  I live about 100 miles from Otsego and fish it summer and winter,The information you have posted is great
 Thank you!!

Offline Adirondackhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2011, 01:10 PM »
  "quote"  I can't believe the Debbie downers haven't started harassing you about posting information on here,

Let's see here.....I gave info on ice thickness and warned it was scary.  9.2 miles of lake, 1 mile wide, I checked 2 places that have access. I hope I didn't give away anyone's secret spot! Some of my best fish are caught in the middle of Glimmerglass's West Parking Lot! If your good you won't even have to get out of your ride.......

Next.... I gave requested info on sled/ATV access in Glimmerglass State Park. Anyone could pick up a phone and call the park for the same inf. Here's the # (607) 547-8662  I just happen to live next door. So much for that state secret! It's out! 

Oh yeah, don't forget that I was asked how much snow was on the lake and what the temperature was.... big deal!

Anyone want to know where they keep all the big Lakers and browns in Otsego???? HINT! Not in the West Parking Lot! How about the price of gas at the local stations? I have all the top secret 411! Just ask........

I must have been mistaken when I thought this site was all about SHARING information.
    Some history:
 I have been fishing (ICE and liquid) for give or take 52 years, 47 of them within 7 miles of Glimmerglass SP, well before Glimmerglass was even proposed. Owned my first boat on Otsego when I was 13 years old (13th birthday present), and my father had a boat on the lake well before I was born, and up to the day he passed on.

So pi$$ on "The Debbie Downers" if I gave to much info! Hate to give away any info on "their" lake.

To all that would like some honest answers to their questions on Otsego, I will gladly answer them to the best of my ability. Just ask!

BIGJim223

Damn straight. I wish I had. Info last year before I drove out there and there was open water!

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:21 PM »
HOW THICK IS THE ICE ON 3 MILE POINT ]

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:40 PM »
I thank you for the great info.. knowing about lake conditions , safety and general information is what I always like to see posted. While I don't fish there I do think you are providing a great service and help.. Keep them coming.  someday I may take a ride out and your info will be helpful..

Offline adksavage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:56 PM »
Thanks BigJim, The info that you have been giving has been great. :thumbsup: We are all excited to get over and hit those lakers. And your info has kept us excitable types a little dryer. Again the info you give is very appreciated. :clap: :clap: :clap:
 By the way fisdhing in the middle of the parking lot was awesome. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I won't tell a soul. :whistle: :roflmao:

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:58 PM »
HOW THICK IS THE ICE ON 3 MILE POINT ]

On Sunday some friends of mine spent the better part of the day at 3 Mile. They told me that there was 3-4 inches out maybe 150 yards, the next hole they drilled out a bit further, the auger went through in 1 1/2 turns! They said maybe 1 1/2-2 inches. They backed right off towards shore. They warned some other fishermen going out that way, they drilled a hole and went right back toward shore.

I had -7 degrees here this morning, and a high of about 16, today. Expected to get to 30-32 on Tuesday, 2-4 inches of snow and some icy sleet forecast.

Adksavage:  Shhhhhhh! Keep it down about fishing the West Lot! Did you limit out??? ;) ;D

BIGJim223

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:02 PM »
I saw someone off 3 mile today. Not very far though.

I hate this type of freeze up. Better hope for a melt down of the snow layer and a hard freeze to fuse things together! A questionable base layer under snow makes things tricky.  :-\

Over night lows in the single digits later in the week will help.

Marbled ice with a thin base layer will be something to remember later in the season!  ;)

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:49 PM »
were is some hot spots for lakers

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:40 AM »
were could i find some lake trout on the lake and big perch  

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:52 AM »
  silly .get out and find them do you honestly think we would put you in a fish bowl. come on down put some time in have som fun [hint] look for people dont ask silly questions

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:57 AM »

My advice is go out of glimmerglass state park, head south on the lake about a half mile and head towards the village. that's for lakers. They run deep. Perch will be more shallow. Stay in the bay by the state park for them.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:13 AM »

What adkRoy ^^^ said! Be prepared to fish 140 feet of water.

BIGJim223

Offline buffoonus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:20 AM »
BigJim, I have followed your posts and can tell you are quite knowledgeable about the lake. Although I don't post much I do spend alot of time on here reading. I was wondering about your impressions for perch on Otsego. I use to run tip ups many years ago on Otsego and had a lot of fun chasing lakers but then the perch bug hit me. I have been hooked ever since. I usually hit Candarago once or twice a year and then make a trip to Chaumont or Sandy Pond. I just thought maybe I should try Otsego for Perch...it is closer for me since I am a local from the Oneonta area....anyway...any comments or thoughts about Perch in Otsego...
Thanks.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:31 AM »
I have caught some big perch out of otsego....they really like icicles on tip-ups. in 10-20 fow.

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:31 AM »
how thick is it near glimmerglass might go this wekkend

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:14 AM »
BigJim, I have followed your posts and can tell you are quite knowledgeable about the lake. Although I don't post much I do spend alot of time on here reading. I was wondering about your impressions for perch on Otsego. I use to run tip ups many years ago on Otsego and had a lot of fun chasing lakers but then the perch bug hit me. I have been hooked ever since. I usually hit Candarago once or twice a year and then make a trip to Chaumont or Sandy Pond. I just thought maybe I should try Otsego for Perch...it is closer for me since I am a local from the Oneonta area....anyway...any comments or thoughts about Perch in Otsego...
Thanks.

I have caught some nice perch in Otsego, but seldom fish for them anymore. I caught a couple 12 inchers this fall while SM Bass fishing, quite a surprise! Especially since I was throwing a size 7 or 9 Rapala!
  When I did target them through the ice, I mostly used tip ups with small creek chubs and icicles. And always did the best in the north west corner of the lake off Public Landing. It is mostly a mud bottom with a few left over weed patches, here and there. Though I would think most anywhere in 12-30 FOW you will find some. The flats down around Cooperstown should be a good bet also, maybe Rat Cove, just south of 3 Mile.

Good luck, I am heading out to find someplace to fish right now!

BIGJim223

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.