Author Topic: Custom Bucket Ideas  (Read 127174 times)

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
Custom Bucket Ideas
« on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:26 PM »
Looking to put together a couple 5 gal. buckets and make some rod holders on the side. Would like to see what other clever things people have thought up of. Would hate to put something together and then have a "Man, I should have done _______."

Pics or description would be nice.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Custom Bucket Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:06 PM »
you can buy bucket skirts that have rod holders from companies like Frabill:

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline carp lips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:31 PM »
Good idea , i would like to see some also

Offline Cedar2RTO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:17 PM »
I was looking around on here just the other day but can't quite remember where.
Here's a few links I found while I was looking. If you look around you'll be impressed by what some of these guys come up with.

Buckets: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=3645.0
Other inventions: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=17919.260 <- This has all kinds of links
If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs; you may have misunderstood the situation.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:59 PM »
I used some pvc pipe on the inside of a large chlorine bucket to hold my jigging rods,a bucket skirt on the outside and I use a stadium chair on top of the bucket,the bucket holds my tip ups jigging rods and tackle and a few other odds and ends,Im a bit on the tall side so the taller bucket works great for me,I have never seen another bucket like the one I have, I think it would hold way more than 7 gals. the bucket is huge and I spotted it in a yard by my house,I asked the guy where he got it but he said he got it years ago when he had a pool anyway a case of beer later and the bucket was mine I have it for 10 plus years now and still havent seen one that big

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:06 AM »
sweet... keep the responses coming

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:20 AM »
I asked this question a few months ago and completed a bucket that I'm real happy with! Here's a link to my thread.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=155623.0

I used PVC and my rods fit nice and snug. I used a rotozip to cut the PVC where the reel seat is. I then attached my PVC to my bucket with rivets. One side holds my rod and the other has half of a Frabill Pail Pack.

I used a 6 gallon bucket for the extra height (less back strain when seated on it), there is plenty of storage room inside the bucket too for a flasher, tip-ups, tackle bag etc. I put an 8 quart minnow bucket in there and then a few things on top of that usually. 

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:34 AM »
pick up some pvc and get creative.  you can make your bucket hold all kinds of rods, scoops, etc.  mount it at different angles and you can even make it so your bucket can hold a rod while the line is in the water

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:54 AM »
What size PVC did you end up using Bass?

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:49 AM »
I have one rod that has a skinnier handle so I used 1 inch PVC for that one (it's the rod on the far right of the lower picture), then I can't remember if I used 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" for my other 3 rods and skimmer.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:07 AM »
Yea, think I'm going to bring my rod to the hardware store I guess to make sure I get the correct size. Too tight won't work, but too loose isn't going to be much better. Cut out the bottom of a bucket yesterday with a rotozip and it turned out great. Just trying to figure out the best way to do the rod holders so they look reasonably symetrical.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:51 AM »
I asked this question a few months ago and completed a bucket that I'm real happy with! Here's a link to my thread.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=155623.0

I used PVC and my rods fit nice and snug. I used a rotozip to cut the PVC where the reel seat is. I then attached my PVC to my bucket with rivets. One side holds my rod and the other has half of a Frabill Pail Pack.
(Image removed from quote.)
Very nice! Smitty
I used a 6 gallon bucket for the extra height (less back strain when seated on it), there is plenty of storage room inside the bucket too for a flasher, tip-ups, tackle bag etc. I put an 8 quart minnow bucket in there and then a few things on top of that usually. 
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Yea, think I'm going to bring my rod to the hardware store I guess to make sure I get the correct size. Too tight won't work, but too loose isn't going to be much better. Cut out the bottom of a bucket yesterday with a rotozip and it turned out great. Just trying to figure out the best way to do the rod holders so they look reasonably symetrical.

Yeah, I was worried about that too. I'll tell you one inch is tight with a small rod (my Guide Series Xtreme rod fits nice and snug). My other rods are a Jason Mitchell, St. Croix Premier, and Frabill Deadstick, they all fit snug in my other size. Could you put a string around the handle, then measure it. That'll give you your handle circumference and somewhat of an idea of what size PVC. (I'm just not sure if a 1 inch piece of PVC is 1 inch from outside to outside or if it's measured on the inside of the tube.) Sorry if you don't understand what I'm trying to say, I was sitting in a shack all afternoon and I think the propane is getting to me, hah.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Thanks Smitty! It's nothing like some of your creations but it works well for me!!  ;D

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:54 PM »
Yeah, I was worried about that too. I'll tell you one inch is tight with a small rod (my Guide Series Xtreme rod fits nice and snug). My other rods are a Jason Mitchell, St. Croix Premier, and Frabill Deadstick, they all fit snug in my other size. Could you put a string around the handle, then measure it. That'll give you your handle circumference and somewhat of an idea of what size PVC. (I'm just not sure if a 1 inch piece of PVC is 1 inch from outside to outside or if it's measured on the inside of the tube.) Sorry if you don't understand what I'm trying to say, I was sitting in a shack all afternoon and I think the propane is getting to me, hah.

What bit did you use on your rotozip? I tried using the all purpose bit and couldn't get a straight cut out of it. Not sure if it's because it's curved or what.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:18 AM »
What bit did you use on your rotozip? I tried using the all purpose bit and couldn't get a straight cut out of it. Not sure if it's because it's curved or what.

Man, I wish I could be of more help. I just used the bit that was attached to the rotozip at the time. I put the PVC in a vice and marked the cut I wanted to make with sharpie and then just did my best to follow the line. It sometimes wanted to stray. Afterwards I just filed away the rough stuff and attached to my bucket.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Na, that cool man. I got a practice peice after my first try at it. (I notice the direction of the cut definitely seemed to matter) I have a dremel parts kit that fits in the smallest bushing so I might try to see how the cutter wheels do. Should be done for this weekend :D

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Na, that cool man. I got a practice peice after my first try at it. (I notice the direction of the cut definitely seemed to matter) I have a dremel parts kit that fits in the smallest bushing so I might try to see how the cutter wheels do. Should be done for this weekend :D

Well goodluck finishing it up! I love mine, and I think you'll love yours. I love seeing how creative and handy people are. Post a picture if its not too much trouble once your done!

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Will do. Got the rod holders finished yesterday. I ended up using a Dremel Cutting tool attached to the rotozip (http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1/001-100/TNT020_Dremel_Mini-Mite/images/dremel-2.jpg Letter E) Then finished it off with a sanding bit and then a buffering bit. Lines are straight and only slightly wavey. Nothing noticeable except when you run your finger down it. Nice and smooth ;).

Should finish it up tonight.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:42 AM »
It's done  ;D

Used 1-1/4" PVC for the rod holders and 1" PVC for the skimmer. Everything is held on by rivets and the buckets also have the additional of spray adhesive.

Didn't quite plan this until I realized it was possible, but the buckets match the shack nicely  ;)

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2011, 10:16 AM »
Looks good!! You can store a ton of stuff in that with the double buckets, and those seats open up for storage bins!

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Yea, it'll be especially nice for next year's early ice.

Thanks for the tops!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.