The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: jiffy ice auger repair model 30 3hp  (Read 53754 times)

Offline Ziffle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: jiffy ice auger repair model 30 3hp
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:42 AM »
Great post here. I have the same model. I've been noting down all the recommendations. It's the first year it's not running right.  Thanks everyone.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:08 AM »
So,

I have found the post I did last year after I went through, and the auger sat on the bottom of the lake for a week before we recovered it. This is the whole story, but if you get into the tear down section, it shows a complete take apart and cleaning (I didn't have to replace any parts but you certainly could. This is the same basic engine on my strikenmaster that you Jiffy guys have. Techumsa 3.0. Anyhow, here is the post if it helps...

Flaggs!
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=129712.20

IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:15 AM »
It may need to be de-carbed like 2 stroke outboards. Get the engine warmed up, take a can of seafoam, spray into air in take, keep engine running. After this is complete, remove spark plug, spray seafoam into plug hole, replace plug, let it sit over night. Start the next day and spray seafoam in to carb intake, keep running. The seafoam will make it smoke considerably, but it will loosen and remove carbon from the piston/cylinder and dirt from the internal carb components. This may help the problem without tearing the carb down.

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Install new spark plug after de-carbing.

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 15, 2011, 05:41 PM »
So it looks like I may need to bring it into a shop :(
I run sea foam , cleaned out the carb( which is was clean and working ) check all the gaskets, put fuel stab in the gas ,ran new high oct gas and still the auger is acting up. Now it won't start all the time and when it does start I have to keep holding the throttle down  and or pumping the primmer  GURRRRRRR!!!!

I think there maybe a place in woburn who works on these does anyone know of a place also???

Thank you
Dave

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:16 PM »
wish you were closer dude! I'd be happy to take a whack at it.  :-\  I have one that has pretty much the same behaviour and I will work on it Monday after I get the carb rebuild kit.

Here is another thing that I thought I mentioned but maybe not, blow out all the lines. Also, the journals in the carb when you had it apart.. Let us know and I will let you know what I find after monday. This one is behaving the same way and its 20+ years old...

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Thank you flaggs :)
I am almost thinking about just buying a new carb let me know monday how you make out

Thanks
Dave

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:44 PM »
so... If I get this one cranking good monday, maybe it would be worth a swap (just the power head) while I take yours and go through it. That way, you dont go without. I'll PM you "ill update this post to let everyone know what I found on this as well... and we'll take it from there...

Flaggs!

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Got Crab Kit....definitely diaphram.....fixed problem. Was surprised at how few pieces were in carb kit. Was expecting more for $20.....but it fixed problem.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:56 PM »
Got Crab Kit....definitely diaphram.....fixed problem. Was surprised at how few pieces were in carb kit. Was expecting more for $20.....but it fixed problem.
Right on Mugz!  Good Job  :clap:

Your right, not much to them but everything in them is critical and must be in good to excellent order for them to run right.

Thanks Mugz

Flaggs!

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:58 PM »
awesome thank you flaggs

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:02 PM »

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:07 PM »
if your gonna give it a try, just pull the model number and serial number and do a seach for carb rbuild kit for that model jiffy. I'm not sure off hand.

If you want to wait and have me take a look, dont get anything, I'll get it and we square up later.

I really do think you can do this yourself  and you should at least try. It can always be reset if you f it up  ;D

Flaggs!

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:11 PM »
True
thank you well figure something out

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:14 PM »
cool the motor is tecumseh av520 3 hp

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline Remdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • JW
« Reply #46 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:29 PM »
I Have  the same model, (10 years old)

Had the carb rebuilt a few times by a "lawn mower" shop....My advice! Do not bring it to a lawn mower shop- bring it to a "licensed" jiffy repair shop.  I had no issues until i thought i needed a tune up  and brought it in to the lawn mower shop. in Winsted CT   .It ran fine until then.... Carberator I was told...however;;;;; after that...it never ran good again!! >:(

Finally brought it to a licensed repair ( Onata Boat Livery in Pittsfield ) and ever since I brought it there: it has been working fine.   :'(

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:39 PM »
oh thank you for the heads up

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:21 PM »
Check this out!

In all the augers and small engines I have pulled from the depths of the crusher, I have never seen anything like this. This is a Jiffy model 30, 23 years old. Aside from not running for 18 or 19 years accoding to my buddy, it has never been torn apart. This was evident in the original paint over th interconnecting parts.

The main jet, that which takes its feed from the diaphram is bent, and I mean really bent! The symptoms were that it would idle ok but as soon as you touch the throttle it would die. Aparently flooding immediately on throttle. Pulled the flywheel cleaned up the magnito real nice and rebuilt the carb, including journal plugs.  sorry, couldnt get a good clear pic up close but you can sure see the bend. This is stainless steel and pretty tough stuff. My buddy said it was his dads and never ran right... Looks like a factory defect to me.. wow..

Now, It runs like brand new!  my buddy is SO PUMPED!

So, Iceman, what was the final on your Auger?

Flaggs!

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:47 AM »
wow !! So she is now 100%
I just got the carb kit and am going to pull it apart this week
wish me luck

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:51 AM »
Call me if you get stuck!  I'll pm my phone number...

Flaggs!

Offline iceman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:06 AM »
awesome thank you :)

Offline 200fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:10 AM »
I bought my Jiffy 30 new in 1976 or 1977 (I think). It was the year Jiffy came out with the butterfly handles. It ran trouble free until 3 years ago. Carburetor was rebuilt, but it still didn't run right. When it was torn down again, the mechanic found a tiny pinhole had eaten it's way through the carb body and it was sucking air. I found the right body on the cheap in a box of parts that an elderly neighbor, a retired small engine guy, had in his garage. Rebuilt the carb again, has run great since.

I don't know what caused a hole to corrode in the carburetor. I run the gas out every year. Methinks the ethanol has something to do with it.

I know that my Jiffy is heavy, but I haven't seen anything cut a quicker hole. I have both an 8" and a 9" screw.
"Indecision may or may not be my problem"  -Jimmy Buffett

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:14 AM »
The only thing that will beat my Strikemaster cobra, is my Binford 6000 !   ;D   oouugggg  ouuuggg

Flaggs!

Offline 200fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:17 AM »
But those Binfords are rare and awfully expensive!! And really HEAVY!!
"Indecision may or may not be my problem"  -Jimmy Buffett

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #55 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:20 AM »
ya, Tim the tool man taylor sends a guide with it that states, you must have a minimum of 14 guys to run it!  The other downfall is you only get 13 HPG!  (Holes Per Gallon)  ;D

Flaggs!

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #56 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:33 PM »
ICEMAN45... you pm box is full. I got your inquiry... cleanup you box and let me know when so I can send you my phone number
If I already gave it to you, I think I did... call me... Going into conference at 3 for an hour

Flaggs!

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 04, 2011, 02:18 PM »
Check this out!

In all the augers and small engines I have pulled from the depths of the crusher, I have never seen anything like this. This is a Jiffy model 30, 23 years old. Aside from not running for 18 or 19 years accoding to my buddy, it has never been torn apart. This was evident in the original paint over th interconnecting parts.

The main jet, that which takes its feed from the diaphram is bent, and I mean really bent! The symptoms were that it would idle ok but as soon as you touch the throttle it would die. Aparently flooding immediately on throttle. Pulled the flywheel cleaned up the magnito real nice and rebuilt the carb, including journal plugs.  sorry, couldnt get a good clear pic up close but you can sure see the bend. This is stainless steel and pretty tough stuff. My buddy said it was his dads and never ran right... Looks like a factory defect to me.. wow..

Now, It runs like brand new!  my buddy is SO PUMPED!

So, Iceman, what was the final on your Auger?

Flaggs!
(Image removed from quote.)

this is exactly why i left the jet in! 
, , ,

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #58 on: Feb 04, 2011, 03:24 PM »
this is exactly why i left the jet in! 
??? Unless you got just the diaphram... I understand totally... paticularly if it was running well otherwise.

But if if got the full kit (journal plugs, jet housing and seat, and Jet) why would you not replace them ?
That is what I had done.

Sorry my 50 sumthin brain is Well Done... ;D

Flaggs!

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #59 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:07 PM »
??? Unless you got just the diaphram... I understand totally... paticularly if it was running well otherwise.

But if if got the full kit (journal plugs, jet housing and seat, and Jet) why would you not replace them ?
That is what I had done.

Sorry my 50 sumthin brain is Well Done... ;D

Flaggs!

i got the kit a few years ago, but never had to change it.  Since then, I have replaced the diapram three times.  Still runnin well.  especially this year due to lack of use!
, , ,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.