Author Topic: Strikemaster Glide Lite "Franken-sled"  (Read 18477 times)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Strikemaster Glide Lite "Franken-sled"
« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2014, 07:49 AM »
Velcro on back of heater and sled I think would hold the heater on good but I cant remember if the back of the heater gets hot.it looks like your mods were well thought out and executed,good job dude.welcome to the crazy world of ice fishing equipment modification.

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 27, 2014, 01:09 PM »
More mods are coming but here's what I did before this season.  I bought a RAM mount and de-constructed my LX7.

Then I screwed down a Porsche (found it at a NASCAR race) koozy to act as my puck containment apparatus.

The final product until more mods.

That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline kgalla02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Mar 29, 2014, 06:58 AM »
More mods are coming but here's what I did before this season.  I bought a RAM mount and de-constructed my LX7.

I like the ram mount idea ... I've kinda' packed it in for the season, but I'm looking for an old set of skis (or maybe some leftover Hyfax) for the bottom, attached a couple small shackles to the tow-tabs so I can use the same tow rope w/carabineers between the Glide-Lite & a small Otter sled, et...

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 31, 2014, 07:36 PM »
jjc - what size pcv did you use? love the rod rack. you have 2 tall vertical pieces on the right. 1 is for the auger. what is the 2nd one for? also notice that you have runners (white). is this hyfax? where do you get the flat stock and how pliable is it as I notice that it curls upward on the front. how do you bend it for shape? sorry of all the ??. just bought a glide lite today and looking to modify it for next season.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #34 on: Apr 01, 2014, 04:02 AM »
Rdhammah besides buying the runners from companies like Clam corp. Shappell and Frabill you can try U.S. Plastics. You want to buy Ultra High Molecular weight  (uhmw) plastic. I believe they sell it in six or eight foot lengths and various widths and thicknesses. You can use a heat gun to warm the plastic and make it easier to bend. The heat gun looks like a hair dryer. A member user name of Bean can give you more information on U.S. Plastics company. He is or was a moderator for the Pennsylvania community/board. So look there for a post by him or use the members list and send him a personal message. If you look in the FAQ/help board you will find a thread that tells you how to access members list. I hope this is of some help to you, all the best with you sled modifications.

Steve

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Apr 01, 2014, 06:18 AM »
Steve. thanks. I checked out US plastics. think I got it:   http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23217&catid=868. 1" or 1 1/4"?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #36 on: Apr 01, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Rdhammah you have the correct product,I'm assuming the first number listed is the thickness of the strip and second is the width. I'm not familiar with the Glide Lite sled but if you place the sled on it's side you may or may not have a groove you could place the strip into if the bottom has no groove attach the strips on to the sled slightly in from outside edges. Looking at the one photo it appears the Glide Lite is molded with runners on each side of the bottom.
I have a set of strips sold by Shappell they are designed to fit onto their medium sized Jet Sled which has grooves. I'm going to install them onto my Frabill flip over shelter which does not have grooves. There are threads/ posts here on Ice Shanty that may show the installation process and list the tools need to do the job.
Steve

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #37 on: Apr 01, 2014, 05:02 PM »
I stick my offset handle in one of the rod holder slots works great.  I rarely use this thing though.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Apr 18, 2014, 07:20 AM »
Anyone have a gas auger on one of these sleds??? and can I see the setup
just to repeat this question. I am guessing that this would make the sled top heavy and prone to tipping. let's hear from anyone who has tried it.
just ordered 7 pcs of  UHMW 1/4" x1" x 5' bars from Garland Plastics. price was great - 30 cents per foot plus $5 for cutting  plus UPS shipping. I think max length for UPS was 6'.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Apr 18, 2014, 08:26 AM »
Nice mods! I think Strikemaster may be interested in incorporating some of them into their sleds. Get your patents or maybe we'll see you on Shark Tank soon!  ;D

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #40 on: Apr 19, 2014, 08:54 PM »
I have also had good luck buying obsolete snowmobile sliders on the cheap from local SkiDoo dealer.
They work great as hifax for shorter sleds like the Glide Lite an smaller jet sleds. wear like iron.
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline chironomidkraut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Nov 22, 2014, 09:03 AM »
I just bought this sled and I am doing mods to it, love it I will post pics when I figure out how

Offline chironomidkraut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Nov 22, 2014, 09:16 AM »
here are the mods so far, an acrylic tray cover with piano hinge, oversized eye hooks up front for towing ( I have bolt snaps attached to a longer tow rope in case of an emergency, quick access to the rope) I also put eye hooks in the rear end of the sled so I could bungee my rods down for transport..
still cant decide if I want a top mount or side mount for my auger, and I also am placing a magnetic stereo cabinet closer on the tray cover to keep it closed

Offline chironomidkraut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 22, 2014, 09:17 AM »

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #44 on: Nov 23, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Very cool mods.   Really like the acrylic lid.   

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 23, 2014, 10:55 AM »
Great mod's, I'm inspired to drag down my Glide Lite and mod it.

Offline chironomidkraut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Nov 23, 2014, 03:51 PM »
here is the finished product, tray lid now has a magnetic lid closure, and side eye hooks for stabilizing gear and auger if needed, also the auger clamps are installed-rock solid and re enforced top and bottom with thin puck boad

Offline npauls

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard Or Go Home!
« Reply #47 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:04 PM »
I have 2 to 3 more things to do to mine and then it will be set chad.  I have an idea for mods to the bucket as well as a good rod holder.

I will be chasing perch all over the lake as soon as the ice thickens up.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:22 PM »
Those sleds are pretty neat! Waiting on a good deal then I will probably pick one up!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 23, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Great mods guys!

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:20 AM »
Some great ideas on this thread

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Just finished a couple more mods for mine.  Will post some pics soon. 

Now I just need some ice!
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:36 AM »
Pardon me for raising an old thread, but where did you guys find the black pvc/abs pipe pictured below?  I've checked around Home Depot, Lowes, Menards and a few plumbing supply stores with no luck.

kg

Sorry just saw this. Yeah its just painted with Rustoleum Plastic paint.

J-

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:01 PM »
I've always thought about buying one of those sleds.Now that I see your mods,I will be following through.Very nice mods,thanks.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:24 PM »
Looking good!  welcome to the shanty.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:24 PM »
I've enjoyed my glide lite.
Fishin red lines