The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: The Perch Assault and Cheating...  (Read 5374 times)

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
The Perch Assault and Cheating...
« on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:28 PM »
I have decided to post some pictures of the bucket of fish that caused all the controversy and the ultimate cancellation of the March event last year.

I am doing so, for a couple reasons.  First, I want everyone to get riled up about it, mostly to make sure something like this just doesn't happen again.  The person(s) who did this stole more than a possible prize in the tournament.  They stole the integrity of a tournament that several people worked REAL hard for 5 years to establish.  Stole the integrity of the association that many sponsors who had aligned themselves with the tournament had gained.  And they stole the fun, more or less "on your honor", vibe that a Perch Assault Tournament was all about.

I really want people to take ownership of this tournament, its YOUR tournament as much as it is mine!  I don't fish them, but I have a LOT of fun putting them on, hanging out with some of the coolest people and BEST perch fisher-folk around.  My GPS is FULL of hot holes that your fish have come out of.  Hey, that's a small price to pay, eh?

So folks, please, police your own ranks...If you know something fishy, excuse the pun, is going on, call me, or just tell that person to get... you know what.  If these things are going to continue, I am going to need all your help to make sure NO-ONE gets a chance to screw this up again.

Come and fish the tournament this year.  The more teams, the more money to win.  Talk it up amongst your friends, and keep that chatter going.  Lets pass the message on to anyone that might be thinking about cheating their way to a "victory" that you wont let it happen in "your" tournament.

Now, on with the show...
The bucket as it was uncovered...

[/img]

As we removed from the ice...

a hell of an entry...

The last pictures shows one of the marks we made to help us ID the fish had they been able to be entered.  These fish all had a very dark coloration...maybe because they were half dead...or maybe because they weren't from Lake Mary...in fact, compare these fish to photo's from a recent Lake Mary catch and decide for yourself...

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=168168.msg1639104#msg1639104
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: The Perch Assault and Cheating...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:32 PM »
thats too bad that some one would stoop that low just to win a tourney..and man them are some dang nice perch.

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:37 PM »
Thanks for the pics I know why you didn't do it but I so wish you would have publicly humiliated those A**holes.  On a good note I am so glad you guys decided to run this tournament again.  I sent my entry fees in this morning and can't wait to fish this tourney again.  See you at the tourney.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:37 PM »
Good post, good choice to share.

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:45 PM »
Glad you guys didn't let a bad apple ruin the bunch.  Good luck with what I'm sure will be many great events.

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:59 PM »
Thanks I'm in the tourney to < thanks for sharing the truth about the cheater
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:15 AM »
Mike thanks for all the hard work and great tourny's :thumbsup: :clap:
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2011, 11:38 AM »
I want to know why I live in the Flathead, and this is the first I heard of this fraud.
Why weren't the perps publicly humiliated?

There should be photos of them CHEATERS hung up all over
Get bit!

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2011, 02:48 PM »
I heard the same thing happened with the Perch Derby on Canyon Ferry Last year and they cancelled the event all together.  I haven't heard if they are planning on renewing it this year or not.  If you cheating on a fishing derby your not enjoying fishing for what it is.

Offline grizinidaho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2011, 03:33 PM »
I think that maybe we should make the money go to a charity and the winners get their entry fee or a small prize like a fishing rod.  Not sure what grand prize is, but if it's small people won't feel the need to cheat and if they do people don't feel as cheated...volunteer fire departments, helping kids, you pick.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2011, 04:57 PM »
I think that if you are going to put on a quality comp, you need to have good prizes (the charity thing sounds nice, but I'm not paying a entry fee and traveling for a free rod).  Unfortunately, this will tept some people to cheat, and if they decide to it's going to be tough to catch them.  There is no way to make a tourney totally cheat proof, as sportsmen we should give everyone the benifit of the doubt.  However, if someone is caught cheating, I think they need to be publicly outed for what they are (not sportsmen).  Knowing that there name would be listed in the local paper and they would carry that stigma around with them on any lake in Montana would make a hell of a deterant.  It would also keep them out of any future comps (who is going to let a know cheater into there tourney).  This hush hush thing is BS and lets folks know that even if they get caught, nothing really negative will happen.  Just my two cents

oldschoolben

« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2011, 05:49 PM »
i think that anyone that cheats especially  when people spent allot of money to put this on and to fish it  who ever cheated i hope you feel like ,./. because that was BS if your not man enough to win it fair stay home

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Wow...
Kinda takes the fun out of winning if thats how you have to do it.

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:35 PM »
thats too bad that some one would stoop that low just to win a tourney..and man them are some dang nice perch.
them were some nice perch and tasty to. I flayed every one and fried them in corn meal chewed every bite very slow to see if i would feel better about the whole thing. nope i still wanted to kick some azzz I'm glad to see the the tourney is back way to go
" perch assault"
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:03 PM »
dont blame ya

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:33 PM »
its a bummer they couldnt be humiliated, but, outing the cheater could turn incredibly ugly. whoever it was knows what they did was wrong and knows they nearly ended an annual tournament for good.

Offline Hardwateraddicton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:26 PM »
I heard the same thing happened with the Perch Derby on Canyon Ferry Last year and they cancelled the event all together.  I haven't heard if they are planning on renewing it this year or not.  If you cheating on a fishing derby your not enjoying fishing for what it is.

Please clarify what you are saying in this post! I agree that there is no room for cheating in ANY aspect of life and that as honest sportsman constantly under the "public microscope" anyways, we need to police each other to help keep what we love as pure as possible! I can tell you for a fact that the Townsend Lions Club/Silos Perch Derby at Canyon Ferry last year was not cancelled. It was indeed a huge success and even with very difficult recent fishing there was a great turnout. I can also tell you for a fact that there was, to my knowledge, NO cheating and because of the 4th man "spotter" rule it would be impossible! Furthermore it is indeed scheduled to be held again this year on the weekend of Jan. 22nd and 23rd and my team and I hope to win it once again "Fair and Square" like we did last year! Good luck on the Perch Assault in 2011 and thanks to all involved for the hard work of putting on a tourney for us to enjoy!!

As for the public humiliation? As nice as it would be, how many guys do you know that have had a DUI? We dont post their pictures in the bars and keep them out... just my .02 
Jig... Jig... Thump!!

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:36 PM »
good point and yes definately expensive and if i decide to go this year i would be very erked if someone ruined my hard earned cash for a little greed and a very good way to ruin the sports name

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:56 PM »

them were some nice perch and tasty to. I flayed every one and fried them in corn meal chewed every bite very slow to see if i would feel better about the whole thing. nope i still wanted to kick some azzz I'm glad to see the the tourney is back way to go

[/quote]

Ha Ha, thats awesome!!!! ;D

And to clarify as well, it wasnt Canyon Ferry that got cancelled, it was the last perch assault, and the pictures were of the reason why.

If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:22 AM »

I fished that Canyon Ferry Derby the last 2 years.  I didn't hear of anyone cheating.  Last years team winner had our team spotter and they won fair and square.  Just ask Neptune.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Quantoson is correct.  Hardwateraddiction's team last year won it fair and square and deserved the win for venturing to what I would call "non standard" Perch grounds to catch their 31 perch for the win.  Our team member that was spotting said they were completely on the up and up.  Im a strong believer in the Spotter method for derbies/tournies.  Keeps everyone honest and you get to meet some great people!

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:39 AM »
I shoot a lot of traditional archery 3D competitions in the summer and they keep those honest by having spotters and or drawing for your team / group so you get put with people you don't know. It works great, you get to meet new people and it ends up being a lot of fun. I have not fished a derby before but you could keep them honest much the same way I would think. I'm not good enough of a perch fisherman to be competitive in one of these but I would sure like to try just for the fun of it so I hope you guys keep doing this derby so I can compete in it on years when I am here the weekend you do it.

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2011, 11:09 AM »
A "blind draw" would be a good way to do it.  Plus you might pick up a few new tricks and vice versa.  The only thing that with ice fishing you would end up sharing auger, hut, heater.  It's different if one of your buddies breaks something.  I got no problem sharing and I think most people would make it right.  Never know might meet a lifetime fishing buddie.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2011, 12:24 PM »
I will be going to the Canyon Ferry derby this month to observe the spotter method first hand.  What I hate is that, a lot of extra effort will need to go into eliminating the OPPORTUNITY for people to cheat, when people could JUST BE F'IN HONEST AND NOT TRY TO RIP PEOPLE OFF!!!!

I will certainly keep the idea open for next years tournaments...

Anybody need a teamate for Canyon Ferry derby?

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2011, 12:35 PM »
I agree that you shouldn't have to put in safe guards to keep people honest.  It's the world we live in.  Look how we spend as taxpayers for police, judges, defense just because it's not a perfect world.  All we can do is "keep fighting the good fight".

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2011, 12:53 PM »
Thats the reason i quit fishing the tourney's. Most are honest guys, but there is always a couple who feel the need to cheat.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:30 PM »
Please clarify what you are saying in this post! I agree that there is no room for cheating in ANY aspect of life and that as honest sportsman constantly under the "public microscope" anyways, we need to police each other to help keep what we love as pure as possible! I can tell you for a fact that the Townsend Lions Club/Silos Perch Derby at Canyon Ferry last year was not cancelled. It was indeed a huge success and even with very difficult recent fishing there was a great turnout. I can also tell you for a fact that there was, to my knowledge, NO cheating and because of the 4th man "spotter" rule it would be impossible! Furthermore it is indeed scheduled to be held again this year on the weekend of Jan. 22nd and 23rd and my team and I hope to win it once again "Fair and Square" like we did last year! Good luck on the Perch Assault in 2011 and thanks to all involved for the hard work of putting on a tourney for us to enjoy!!

As for the public humiliation? As nice as it would be, how many guys do you know that have had a DUI? We dont post their pictures in the bars and keep them out... just my .02 

I know a couple of guys with DUI's, and they got their names in the paper and had legal consequences to discourage them from doing it again.

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:32 AM »

Lets THANK SHAFFER FOR THE CHEATING, I fished with him and considered him a Friend, on the last tourney in 09 i watch him fish all day, he never stayed on one spot and never did i see him get any good fish< he left the area we all were pounding he was trolling on ice, sum how wen the weigh in he had the best bucket of fish  for the day??? I new he had not got them around us and had to have had sum stashed on the ice.Then wen we were prefishing for the last tourney of 2010, the Thursday before we had to be off the ice we watched him go to a spot that know one hits, when he left we went over to fish  his secret spot and that's wen we found this bucket. :o Now if he really did not do this then why was his smokes and tracks all over the bucket? U think he would have turned it in? Well that's why he was the PANTYHOSE BANDITS.

Ps "Tim shadick" is the founding Cheater of perch assault, he is who showed  Shaffer how to get perch

lets make sure these 2 guys get run out of any tourney they enter!   >:(
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline rtclaus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2011, 02:38 PM »
Just wanted to remind everyone next Saturday Jan 15th and 16th is the Perch derby at East Fork reservoir just south of Lewistown. If you have any questions call Dons sporting goods in Lewistown. Hope to see you all there.

Offline MTblackice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:17 PM »
Neptune and Quantoson I want to thank you guys, I was one of the Hardwateraddictions teammates in the derby last year and I can tell you we spend alot of time and energy finding fish on Canyon Ferry and its not all luck. I have fished a CF eight days already looking for fish this season alone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.