Author Topic: bait  (Read 776 times)

Offline nick m

• IceShanty Rookie
bait
« on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:59 PM »
I have only really started to get into this sport and have really only been able to get the fish to bite bee moths. Do mousies really work. I have tried spikes but have not had much luck. I have a filling its one of those things that it all depends on what you fill comfortable with. is that true or am I missing something. Are there other types of live bait I should try other than these and minnows. Also I just wanted to let everyone know that if you are posting something through the week about your fishing successes you are killing me because I have to work. Thinking about putting the kids goldfish in the tub.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:16 PM »
Somedays mousies can be the hot bait. I have not used a waxworm in a long time.  I prefer spikes, you can get them in red, pink, or white and alot more fish caught before you have to rebait. Give others a try and see what you think.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Spikes for me... all the time... they'll catch any kind of panfish, and you can often catch 5-6 fish before having to re-bait.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline bradmoun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Red spikes everytime trying plastic this year and not doing too bad with it I use minnows for tip ups rarely us minnows for anything else

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:00 PM »
I have only really started to get into this sport and have really only been able to get the fish to bite bee moths. Do mousies really work. I have tried spikes but have not had much luck. I have a filling its one of those things that it all depends on what you fill comfortable with. is that true or am I missing something. Are there other types of live bait I should try other than these and minnows. Also I just wanted to let everyone know that if you are posting something through the week about your fishing successes you are killing me because I have to work. Thinking about putting the kids goldfish in the tub.

what size jig do you use? Im assuming a 8-10 if your tipping with beemoths. Try a #14 jig with a spike...

Offline nick m

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:34 PM »
I am not sure the size jig it is but it is smaller than the wax worm and very light. I have had my best luck using purple. I tried a number 10 last weekend and could not get bit. went much smaller and started catching fish again using a waxworm. could not get as many bites on the spikes. go figure

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:37 PM »
A time and place for everything.

Offline Full Throttle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:04 PM »
I have been using red or white spikes on a #12 gill pill or #12 diamond jig. Nice only having to rebait every 6 fish or so. Keep my fingers in my gloves and the jig headed back down the hole.

I have been having real good luck on the gills. I am now trying to target some crappie. Gonna try a 1/8 oz glow jig-n-rap tipped with spikes or a forage minnow tipped with spikes.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:23 PM »
Works 4 me. You may be surprised on how large of a  rap the crappie will hit. I caught 2 on a #5 and they were 7 and 9 inches. Was hoping 4 a walleye. Hey, it was still a fish.

Offline nick m

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:28 PM »
I have not really tried the raps yet they look like a gimic but from what I hear they catch a lot of fish. do you basically just raise and lower the bait or is there some other technique.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Yes, 95 % of the hits will be on the drop.

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:34 PM »
I berleive the trick to spikes is 2-3 of em so the fish sstill are looking at ameal but absolutely will not have to re-bait too often .  and yea ...the raps work man
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.